What's new

Glee season 2 thread (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by mattCR

The moment where Will kissed The Beast broke all credibility with me. My wife turned to me and said "In the real world, she'd deck him". The obvious rule was that she had probably had opportunities but wasn't willing to sell herself out for the experience alone; and then he trivializes it with the "I'll fix that" moment. That was one of the most tone deaf moments I've seen this series have; I was really off-put by that.
Exactly. That scene was completely wrong, and Wil's reaction -- what I feared he would do but hoped wouldn't -- was completely wrong. To make Beast's first kiss an act of pity, and for Will to assume that his kiss is worthy of that honor, is tremendously disrepectful. And allowing that she accepted it, it then opens the obvious assumption on her part that Wil is attracted to her and would be interested in dating. And then he has to say that, no he's not, etc., which causes him to hurt her in an even greater way over exactly the same issue that he thought he was helping her with.

The only purpose to it is to be parallel to Kurt's first kiss.

The Waldorf Academy: That moment when Kurt was taken, hand in hand, running with soft filming through the academy to the shut-the-school-down Glee club performance, I said to my wife, "It's a dream sequence." I assumed this was Kurt's vision of a perfect school, and the skipping, handheld, to the choir was so preposterous, as to be laughable. But no, that's the school.

And I still don't understand why Quinn, or anyone else, continue to go to Sue for advice. Are these kids that brain-damaged?

I liked the music. Puck's and Artie's story was interesting and fun. Kurt's story was emotionally charged and engaging. The show was largely good, despite some tone-deaf moments.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Fun dialogue, happy to see some energy return to the Glee club with Paltrow's appearance. The Kurt stuff is sort of dragging the show down, though.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
I don't think so. Especially when it came to Mercedes.

When Neanderthal McClosety threatened to kill him was a bit of a downer.

The Kurt stuff is sort of dragging the show down, though.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun

Fun dialogue, happy to see some energy return to the Glee club with Paltrow's appearance. The Kurt stuff is sort of dragging the show down, though.

Sagging the show down? It's a story about a bully. How is going to be anything else?

Enjoyed Gweneth and the episode. Hopefully Teri is gone for good.

Writers, please stop with the Sue against everyone stories. Really old.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mikel_Cooperman

Sagging the show down? It's a story about a bully. How is going to be anything else?

While it's obviously going to be a bit of a downer, the execution is what's the drag. Kurt's friend from the fantasy school (who was just made a series regular) exists to basically agree with Kurt and spout politically correct platitudes. There isn't a real character there, at least not yet.

Agreed 100 percent about Gweneth Paltrow's guest turn as the substitute. Felt like a season one character, full of the energy that has been in pretty short supply this season.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I agree there was some good energy from the Paltrow guest starring. But Paltrow ain't that great a dancer, at least next to Lea Michele. And I think it was a bad idea to re-enact an iconic piece like "Make 'Em Laugh." The piece from "Chicago" was a little better, but since that's my favorite scene from that movie I had a similar reaction to it. It just felt like amateur night.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I loved seeing Paltrow in the show but to me it was a of way to show off her singing. She seems to be going all out on this front. I do hope they bring her character back. She was a lot of fun. I would hope that they include the Warblers in future episodes too. That group was fantastic and I agree the use of 5.1 in Teenage Dream was outstanding. Their harmonies and vocal tracking was spot on. Some of the best singing done this season. I hope they get back to more of the singing and less of the "message" episodes. The show is becoming more one dimensional and has become a bit flat. The last two episodes where an improvement in getting the show back on track with the first season. I can see the same thing happening to Glee that happened to Heros and it flaming out if something isn't done by the writing staff soon.

John Swarce

Second Unit
Instead of the show title being "Furt", shouldn't it have been "Kinn"? Would make more sense now that Kurt and Finn are step-brothers.

What a dis-jointed episode. The stories were all over the place. The whole "Sue marrying herself" was ridiculous, and having Kurt put together the entire wedding was also unbelieveable. Sue expels the bully and then he comes back a day later? Sue should be fired for how that whole situation was handled (especially calling Kurt her pet nicknames). Sue and Carol Burnett's singing duet felt like a really cheap theatrical production. This is the first episode where I found myself doing something else and having the show play in the background.

And I bet we'll be seeing YouTube videos in a few months with people getting married and the wedding party doing the whole dancing and singing in the church aisle thing. Just like all the people that performed the Thriller dance routine at their wedding reception and videotaped it for the world to see.

Still love this show, but I was disappointed in this episode.......

--John

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This episode had the most striking mix of parts that completely turned me off and parts that moved me to the core of any episode so far. The stuff that turned me off mostly involved Kurt. A show that used to take bullying with the same off-kilter sensibility it takes everything else has suddenly become a big after-school special. Clearly the recent rash of gay student suicides has affected the writers deeply, and they wanted to use the show as a platform to support the campaign against it. I don't disagree with speaking out against bullying in general -- although I think pretty much all zero tolerance policies destroy far more lives than they save -- but I don't really want to be lectured at by my entertainment. That being said, they've created a fantastic bully. Dave Karofsky is a riveting character, and completely terrifying. As everything with the wedding between Kurt's dad and Finn's mom went picture perfect, I kept waiting for Karofsky to shatter it. Someone that filled with that desperate amount of self-loathing is going to end up violently self-destructive. Whether he kills himself in private or storms the school and commits suicide by cop, he's on a catastrophic path. And the show does an excellent job of observing him with pity rather than scorn.

I loved the wedding, even though there was too much of a wish-fufillment element to it. Kurt's dad and Finn's mom are great characters. It was terrific seeing them get a well-deserved happy ending. I loved seeing Sue's Nazi hunting mom; even though Carol Burnett barely looks human under all of that botox, she still has excellent comedic timing and I thought she aced "Ohio" from the criminally underrated "Wonderful Town".

Kurt is in real danger of becoming a Mary Sue.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I get the same vibe from Karofsky, I thought that he was going to walk into the wedding with a gun or something, Kurt was right when he said no one knows what's happening in that dude's head but it isn't good.

My hatred for Sam deepens with this episode, this kid gets under my skin like a splinter that I can't get out and with every insanely premature gesture he makes towards Quinn (giving her a ring and telling her that he's going to marry her someday left me in awe of his ball size) it makes me want to pummel him even more.

merlinarther

Auditioning
Real Name
merlinarther
Nice to hear that

glee is my fav show

Collect Link Removed ,check it out, fine package and clear image

Link Removed

Link Removed

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by John Swarce

And I bet we'll be seeing YouTube videos in a few months with people getting married and the wedding party doing the whole dancing and singing in the church aisle thing.

You do realize this was done a couple of years ago. The Office mimicked it last season (or was it the season before?).

I'm appreciating the tension of the bully storyline, but it's fair to argue it doesn't really belong on a show such as Glee.

My biggest issue was with the wedding. To announce they were getting married and then, apparently, have it happen over the weekend was ridiculous. I thought they'd play it out, have Finn get involved with the bully storyline, then end the fall season with the wedding. Not have all that happen in one episode! And I thought the a capella group was going to be the band. I was looking forward to another performance by them.

This has become an entirely different show from last year.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
This show has lost me. It went from being such an awesome show in the first season to something I can barely sit through this season. There is a part of me that wants so badly to love it like everyone else I know still does and then I rewatch episodes and go "Oh yeah that's why". It really is a shame because it was such a break out hit. It's like the writers just got caught up in what big name they could get, what current news story/pop culture reference could they incorporate instead of just staying true to the characters and their stories. Me. Sad.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Lucia, I agree. It's so focused on being a phenomenon that it no longer puts in the work necessary to make it a great story. Between the theme weeks with barely any plot stringing together the preselected album songs and the heavyhanded lecturing, this show has lost a lot of what appealed to me in the first season.

In fact you could see it start to happen in the first season; the pilot to sectionals was just plain great television. But when they came back to film the second half of the first season, they knew they were a huge hit and that affected those episodes negatively, even though I still enjoyed them.

Last season, the build up from Will taking over Glee club from the molester to sectionals was a tightly plotted story that showcased the evolution of this ragtag menagerie into a cohesive unit. Tonight's sectionals, and there has been no build up whatsoever. We haven't seen them practicing at all for sectionals. Half the season has been devoted to how much Kurt's life sucks and why, and the other half of the season has been devoted to episodes full of songs that will chart well as a theme album on iTunes.

I'm not ready to give up on the show yet, but it's got deep problems -- many of which spawn from the fact that show thinks of itself as even more beloved than it actually is.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The last of the Brittany-Mike flips was ridiculous, glad they got some hang time in the sectionals number.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I actually enjoyed this episode. New Directions deserved to win, because despite how generally unpleasant things have gotten in the choir room, they still shine when it counts. The Wharblers are polished and shine, but their performance doesn't move me in anyway. When the show really throws itself into a song, it can still create something pretty special.

Also glad to see Santana get a solo. She's probably got my favorite voice of all of the kids. While Rachel is more versatile, her voice has less character.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
I will say that I did enjoy seeing Rachel and Kurt have a moment... a real moment and not just some stupid lets kiss and make up kind of thing. It's good to see her realize how she really is and how the others view her. I loved when she was sitting in the audience watching Kurt and for a moment forgot all about herself and told Kurt to smile and cheered him on. That was nice. I do think Kurt is wishing he stayed with his old group because he really had more of a say and was able to do more. Shiny happy stepford school isn't all its cracked up to be.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I LOL'd when Finn shouted at Rachel, "WE WERE ON A BREAK!" Oh wait, wrong show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks