What's new

Glee season 2 thread (1 Viewer)

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I know I've harped on Glee before for it's themed shows and as a long time RHPS fan I was really looking forward to this. Even watched it live when we usually time shift it.

But I was pretty disappointed. The script was a complete mess. Shue's back and forth-ing about who should do what in the play, is Emma a RHPS fanatic or did she just see the film the weekend previous, why would the dentist be allowed to perform in a high school play? And I wasn't too crazy about the musical performances either. Nothing really stood out for me. I was kind of enjoying Science Fiction Double Feature but it was cut extremely short.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I had wondered if they had a different idea last spring, and then got convinced to do RHPS. I say this because in recognizing the cast, I realized that they were far more setup to do something like "Little Shop of Horrors" (with the dentist, etc.) but it is what it is.

I will say the waffling wasn't so good, and the impact of a female Dr. Frankenfurter messes up the heart of the story enough that it isn't shocking and it just comes off as more creepy then over-the-top til it's funny.

But, there were some good moments too. I also had the thought about how this would have played out on stage (w/Rocky as Shue and Janet) but *eh*. Not my fav this season at all.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Dial

DId you like "Take a Bow" from back in the first season? I'm not a fan of Rihanna per se, but Lea Michele's version was amazing.

That's still my favorite Glee cover ever.

Originally Posted by Patrick Sun

Was this Emma's second time singing on the show so far?

I believe so. In the first season, she sang I Could Have Danced All Night in a Wedding Store. Emma is normally adorable as all get out, but she was all sorts of sexy singing Toucha Touch Me. The highlight of the night for me.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
First off, I'm a big RHPS fan (don't dress up for a screening, though), especially for the music.

Second, I've never watched Glee until tonight, just to see how the film would be treated, not concerned about the characters...don't hate me...

The concept was way too sanitized (network show, so, duh...). If (as the script implied) RHPS was counterculture and breaking boundaries, why does "Brad" wear boxers, why is Frankenfurter a female (yes, I know women often play the lead in shadowcast staging) and where was the "Sweet Transvestite" from - not Transsexual, Transylvania, that's for sure. The performances showed absolutely no hint of 'sexuality'. Considering the public knows Jane Lynch is a lesbian, and, I'm sure a good portion of Glee's audience is the GLBT community (and I don't have a problem with that), why would the producers not be willing to acknowledge the bisexual nature of Frankenfurter?

On a positive note - the sets were nicely designed.

If RHPS as a movie can be aired on a broadcast network (at least here in Canada, it has aired on the CTV network in prime time), why can't the producers of a tribute episode be honest in the show's portrayal?

Now, excuse me while I watch my RHPS Blu-ray (with the wrong 'Janet' vocal take!)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Hanson Yoo

I believe so. In the first season, she sang I Could Have Danced All Night in a Wedding Store. Emma is normally adorable as all get out, but she was all sorts of sexy singing Toucha Touch Me. The highlight of the night for me.

Santana and Brittany were killing me during her segment, too.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I can't say that I loved that episode, but having seen RHPS a dozen times in a theater as a wee lad (with UPPERCLASSMEN no less), a flood of nostalgia washed over me during the hour. My wife has never seen the movie much less in a movie theater, so my call outs during some of the numbers were met with puzzled looks. In the end, I would love to see a proper adaptation of RHPS with the Glee cast.

That was Santanna singing Science Fiction Double Feature, right? I suppose it could be anyone's mouth, but it sounded like her voice. Boy, that intro really took me back.

BTW, Richard O'Brien (Riff Raff and the creator of the original stage version) is the voice of the dad on Phineas & Ferb.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The whole "transsexual vs. sensational" thing is a head-scratcher. Apparently "transsexual" was forbidden, but transvestite/"tranny" is fine (as spoken by Mike when he turned down the role), and it's OK for Sam to reference his short-shorts and possible "nuttage".

All I can think of is that someone at Fox told them they could use either "transvestite" or "transsexual," but not both, in one of those nonsensical standards & practices decisions.

Those lips singing "Science Fiction" did belong to Santana, as confirmed by Fox to EW.com.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun

Santana and Brittany were killing me during her segment, too.

That scene was the highlight of the episode for me.

According to Wikipedia, That was actually the song Jayma Mays (Emma) used to audition for her part on Glee.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Dish receiver suddenly can't find its satellites, so I watched what I could find on Fox.com.

Not at all impressed. What could have been one of their best episodes was sanitized, mutilated, whatever you want to call it. Mercedes in the Tim Curry role? Horrible choice.

Will have to try and see the entire episode, but this goes down as one of the most over-hyped letdowns in Glee's history.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Can I just say that this text editor, which doesn't allow me to copy, is rubbish? I can't even see the caret! Or press Enter, apparently. Anyway, to Glee. Really enjoyed the Rocky Horror, contrary to others here it seems. I usually hate Mercedes, but her Sweet Transvestite was excellent. Yes, I could have listened to a longer cut of SFDF at the beginning, and I would have loved to hear more of the numbers, e.g. Superheroes, and the filler-story wasn't up to much, but the music was great, even with the silly lyrics changes. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've seen Rocky Horror once, about 22 years ago; my wife never. She asked, essentially, "where's the giant plant?", having confused it with Little Shop

So got the Toast joke and anticipated the Time Warp song. The rest of it was enjoyable, despite the muddled story. Some good jokes between Finn and Matt on body image. Loved Kurt as the Igor character. Becky was a hoot, as always. She and Emma and John Stamos was ok, verging on tedious. Touch Me was great, especially with the Greek chorus of Santana and Brittney.

Maybe themes bring ratings. But I prefer the plotted stories driving the music, not the other way around.

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
Tonight's episode was...interesting. For the first time, I see what others have complained about in previous second season episodes - rather than communicate a serious message within an hour of music, comedy and occasional drama, the message is now top priority (as many complained in the religion-themed ep), and subtlety has been replaced with a sledge hammer.

Next week looks fun, though.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I liked the story with the closeted football player, but Kurt's "friend" from the other school basically existed to recite public service announcements. The coach storyline also fit your sledgehammer description. No one would ever accuse Ryan Murphy of being subtle, but his shows at least used to be fun. It's like the writers took in what a cultural phenomenon the first season was, and decided it was their responsibility to use their unique platform for social commentary. To some extent, this affected the second half of the last season as well.

Liked Puck and Artie's duet toward the beginning, loved the rival group's take on "Teenage Dream" with the power of so many voices, wasn't too fond on the "Stop in the Name of Love" mashup at the end.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The moment where Will kissed The Beast broke all credibility with me. My wife turned to me and said "In the real world, she'd deck him". The obvious rule was that she had probably had opportunities but wasn't willing to sell herself out for the experience alone; and then he trivializes it with the "I'll fix that" moment. That was one of the most tone deaf moments I've seen this series have; I was really off-put by that.

I liked both the mashups; and I liked the Kurt storyline as well. I'm looking forward to where that goes, because the conclusion is going to be that the football player is confused/no outlet and trying to figure it out, and can Kurt help him, etc.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
That school the Warblers attended (Dalton Academy) was just ridiculous even for this show - just an idealized Kurt fantasy high school.

I just sorta shook my head the whole time.

Best line: Will: I'm not tossing the baby out with the bathwater here. Brittany: I've totally done that

Brandy S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandy
Kinda mixed feelings about this episode. I enjoyed the songs more than I have for most of this season, but the storylines and situations have become ridiculous to the point of not enjoying the show. The show has always had a ridiculous nature, but they are crossing over into "in an ideal world" territory where everything that should be put right is and "we'll hit you over the head with it just in case you don't get it".

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt
loved the rival group's take on "Teenage Dream" with the power of so many voices,

Really terrific use of 5.1 on that song. I just loved it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks