What's new

Glee season 2 thread (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
To my surprise, I really enjoyed this episode. It was great having a spotlight on Brittany's dance skills.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
The show works when the song choice reflects the thoughts/mood/emotions of the character performing it.

The show fails for me when its, as PhilipG above me wrote, product placement for a particular artist. The musical numbers had nothing to do with the storyline of the show. It could have been any artist's material being pimped. And while Brittany's solo number worked well, Lea Michele's "One More Time" was essentially a shot for shot remake of the video and was more annoying than entertaining.

I started watching the show for it's funny, smart, sharp, and un-pc writing and well performed musical numbers, but when what songs are going to be performed take center stage that's all people will start caring about and it will start killing the show.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
The show should be back to status-quo next week.

I'm still looking forward to the Rocky Horror ep, though.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I was a bit worried, because Ryan Murphy is pretty hostile to the right in his real life and I thought that would translate into an episode hostile to religion. While Kurt and Sue definitely took up that viewpoint, it was nicely balanced by Amber and Quinn. I loved the scene in the black church with Amber's staggering rendition of "Bridge Over Troubled Water", where Kurt realizes that religion can be as much about community as it is about belief. I got a good laugh out of Grilled Cheesus and Finn's dim-witted groping toward spiritual understanding. Rachel managed to make matters of faith about her, as she makes everything else about her. Was it subtle? No. But if you can't stand getting beaten over the head with the message of the week, you don't watch Glee in the first place. It was, however, effective. I enjoyed the checkers scene, which was a marvelous feat of writing and performance. When you're having a Down Syndrome woman in the big sister role, it's very easy to come across as either noncredible or condescending. That scene did neither; Sue came to her older sister for help, and her older sister provided it. It was a matter of life experience. Sue's life experience shaped her into an atheist, and Sue's sister's life experience shaped her into the believer of a God who can allow things like genetic disabilities and family tragedies and still be loving and just. That in turn led to a final number that was a little too on the nose but elevated by the exchange between Shue and Sue.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I've said before, I'm an agnostic/atheist. I'm just too apathetic to be a full atheist. But I grew up in a fairly/very religious family. And, while I have my own opinions, I've always understood that other people get comfort from this episode. What I enjoyed most about this episode was the understanding of: this isn't how I believe/what I think, but I understand why it can be comforting for you.

We watched twice, I really enjoyed this, and too very original setups to songs I love (Bridge Over Trouble Water, Hold My Hand). Great stuff.

I'll note: this is the first episode I can remember where I went out and grabbed the songs on iTunes afterwards.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Heh, I had a friend who tried watching 10 minutes of this episode (his first sample of Glee) and had to move on. I could see if this was your first episode of Glee it might have been too heavy of an episode. But overall, a solid episode that goes back to its roots of what makes Glee Glee.

Brittany's lines were slaying me. The book report, and being docked a letter grade for it being in crayon. OMG.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Weren't we talking about cloning in another thread? Maybe it was another forum.

Anyway Curt 1.0 and 2.0

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a368/druidhills33/glee-cast-flashback-episode.jpg

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Yeah, that was lucky casting for mini Kurt.

So far this season has been just a bit odd for me. I have been enjoying the music and the dancing but the stories have been off. It makes

me wonder who has been writing them. I remember when Aaron Sorkin stopped writing episodes for The West Wing and you could tell. I am

getting the same vibe from these past few episodes.

It has been interesting to pick up on all the dancers from seasons of SYTYCD. Other than Heather Morris and her auditions and then ending up

on the show I have noticed Courtney and Mark. I am sure we will be seeing more of them on the show. The two dancers highlighted with Lea with

her "Hit Me One More Time" number have got to have tried out for SYTYCD. They really looked familiar and if they have auditioned they need

to because they were smokin'. Actually, I am glad that Heather Morris got to show of her dance skills. She blows everyone else off the stage.

Grill Cheesus was a riot. And I loved how they took Finn from a zealot to someone that is "losing my religion" in one show but I really didn't

get much out of Kurt's character this episode. For some reason it just fell flat and I expected more from the writers. And they could have

done a lot better with Billie Joel and "Only The Good Die Young". They just scratched the surface on that one. It was like they had to get

so many songs in that they could give a couple of them justice.

As much as I love Lea Michele I am not crazy about her new look. It has aged her more. Now she looks like she is in college instead of being

in High School and is a older than the rest of the gang.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Originally Posted by Kevin Hewell

Weren't we talking about cloning in another thread? Maybe it was another forum.

Anyway Curt 1.0 and 2.0

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a368/druidhills33/glee-cast-flashback-episode.jpg

That's got to be a relative of some sort. My wife and I were falling over ourselves laughing at how dead on the kid looked like Colfer. We actually rewound the scene to marvel at the amazing resemblance.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This was an odd episode. Grilled cheesus left me ambivalent. It was cringeworthy, almost unwatchable, at first. It was just stupid. But it also gave some laughs and developed to something worthy.

The main story of Kurt's father having a heart attack but also be comatose was marvelously emotive. Kurt's anger was palpable and believable.

Sue with her sister was again a highlight of the show. Her sister is written and acted with such grace. But she has that thread of steel: "you're letting me win!" And it tempers Sue, making it impossible to fully despise her as a black-hatted, mustached twirly villain of a melodrama. She has a heart. She is a person with real feelings.

Shue had nothing this week but to stand and look pensive as everyone argued religion and then sang.

The religious perspectives were the typically shallow and simplistic stuff that you get from TV. But it was redeemed from generally excellent music.

I liked it for the heart. I liked the music. But I still hunger for a show that can do justice to the mundane experience of living religion or the complex tensions of grappling with faith, strong and weak.

It's an indictment when Hellcats gets it better than anything else on TV.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
The Rocky Horror show is 10/19. The setlist is already being promoted on iTunes for preorder as "The Rocky Horror Glee Show." I can't wait to see who plays Frank in Sweet Transvestite!

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
Originally Posted by DaveF

I liked it for the heart. I liked the music. But I still hunger for a show that can do justice to the mundane experience of living religion or the complex tensions of grappling with faith, strong and weak.

It's an indictment when Hellcats gets it better than anything else on TV.

I agree. But even here they get antsy when the discussion gets too faith-based (or lack of faith-based). We're not in that TV era anymore when characters just went to church or went to temple and no one gave it a second thought. I applaud 'Glee' for at least making the effort, while other shows ignore the subject completely or walk on eggshells around it (with the exception of 'South Park,' which just trashes everyone with equal aplomb). But my biggest regret about this episode was not the pro- or anti-religious dialogue - it was the truncated versions of 'Only the Good Die Young,' 'Bridge Over Troubled Water,' and 'One of Us.' Would rather they have cut one of these and aired complete versions of the other two.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Not sure if this is the same image of Big Kurt and Little Kurt that was posted (don't have access to photobucket where i am) but this is over at IMDb:

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3963256832/nm2825901

We, too, figured it was his little brother or something but the two actors have different last names so... Amazing likeness.

As a Beatles fan, I really enjoyed Kurt's "I Wanna Hold Your Hand."

However I was annoyed that the same week the cast of Glee has surpassed the Beatles record of most songs hitting the Billboard charts. Guess it was eventual when you consider they pump out, what, 100+ songs a season and they're all instantly available for purchase unlike the old days where you had to wait for a soundtrack that only had 10 songs on it...

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
There's more mini-Kurt coming:

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2010/10/glees-young-kurt-meet-adam-kolkin-chris-colfers-mini-me.html

Shockingly, they aren't related. But maybe this is one of those life imitating art things where it will be discovered that Chris Colfer's little brother was switched at birth with Adam Kolkin. Maybe...

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
I still enjoy hearing the songs on this show, but I am starting to get a bit bored with the stories. I thought the story line with Kurt and his father was good, but only because of kurt and his father. Everyone else just didn't seem to belong there. Mercedes singing at church was fabulous! Kurt singing "I want to hold your hand" was beautifully done. The whole grilled cheesus was stupid. To be honest, I am not really enjoying Rachels character as much as I had been in the beginning. When the show first started I liked that she was an overly ambitious talent that wanted her glee club to be great, but now she has morphed into this snotty little drag that will almost ruin any chance for them to have a great club. Her obsession with Finn is just creepy. Sue, Kurt, Britney and Mercedes are really the only thing keeping me watching. I'm torn with the Arty storyline, because I really like his character, but it just seems they aren't exactly sure what to do with him.

Kurt and Mercedes both have amazing voices. Sue and Britney have possibly the best lines in the show. I hope this season gets better, because I can easily see myself moving on from this show if it continues dragging.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I know it's not a big deal and might be stupid of me but I would like Artie to be able to do more with his chair, he doesn't look like someone who has been in a wheel chair very long.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Steve Tannehill

The Rocky Horror show is 10/19. The setlist is already being promoted on iTunes for preorder as "The Rocky Horror Glee Show." I can't wait to see who plays Frank in Sweet Transvestite!

I think it's 10/26. I thought the promos during tonight's episode kept saying, "Two weeks from tonight."

I've heard Mercedes will play Frank. Looks like Sam will be Rocky (thought I caught a glimpse during the promo).

Was this the first episode where some of the regular cast didn't have any scenes? Sue did not make an appearance tonight, did she? And Puck was explained to be in jail.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Loved this episode. The show finally followed up and explored the other side of the coin with the basement confrontation scene, pretty much making all of the points I and others here were making at the time. I enjoyed the duets, and I liked getting a window into the interplay of the supporting characters. To be honest, Sue and Puck weren't missed at all. Easily my favorite episode of the series so far. The "Rocky Horror" episode looks like a hoot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks