What's new

Gladiator on Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

CTgirl

Auditioning
Real Name
Dara
Awesome Charlie!

All the best with the project. When it is released (in the US) ditto to what Mike said above.

It's nice that you have the flexibility to do both things. I hope you get to do more feature films in the future.

If your directing is anything like your DVD work.... there just might be an Oscar in your future somewhere down the road. I hope so, anyway.

Thanks again and again...

Regards,

Dara

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I can not wait for this title to come out in HD, this is a great title and I hope to own it very soon. I am just wondering if it will be the theatrical cut or the directors cut on Bluray?

Scheduled for Release on 9-1-2009

Audio:
ENGLISH: Dolby TrueHD 5.1
SPANISH: Dolby Digital 5.1
FRENCH: Dolby Digital 5.1

Subtitles:
English, Spanish, French

Number of Discs: 2

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Originally Posted by Dave Moritz Which would you get?
Do the studios ever give you the final product on what you worked on? I've been wondering about this for quite a long time.
I can't wait for 1492: Conquest of Paradise (I'm going to buy the South Korean DVD as the interim) and THE DUELLISTS on Blu-ray.
Would you kindly pass along the word Ridley Scott should re-release KINGDOM OF HEAVEN with AVC instead of MPEG2, seamless branching for the Theatrical (for completists) and a second disc as a BD-50 with all the supplements. That's the only reason as to why I'm holding off on the current Blu-ray.
And damn right I'd go to see a film of yours if you ever made one in cinemas.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Originally Posted by Paul.S /forum/thread/281154/gladiator-on-blu-ray/30#post_3596390

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Originally Posted by Jesper Hall

Hello Charles.

I would like to hear your input on this discussion: www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/292119/gladiator-blu-ray-release-date-09-01-2009-do-not-buy.

Apparently there are some grave errors in the transfer - resulting in missing elements from the image.

Jesper
Seconding this. Will there be a disc replacement program which addresses the DNR/EE? All you'd need to do is take the newer 2005 master derived from the Extended Edition print and use that for both cuts. Here's hoping you'll let Rid know about this.
Although it has DNR/EE, I'll still be purchasing this only to support a remaster WITHOUT ANY DNR/EE applied. Unleash hell at Universal for this release.

EDIT: Here's a helpful link:
http://comparescreenshots.slicx.com/comparison/12353/

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Hi Charlie,

Just adding my voice to this recent development. I know that there are things out of your control and I'm sure what happened to this transfer is one of them. You have always produced the highest quality product and obviously care and love these films.

If you have contacts at Paramount you can convince to examine this issue that would be greatly appreciated. This is a wonderful film that has been given subpar treatment by Paramount, especially given that they're debuting it under the "Sapphire Series" moniker. You'd think that would be indicative of higher quality, no?

Anyway, thanks for everything that you do, and thank you in advance for any help you can provide in this matter.

Best,
Carlo Medina

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#020810c

Along these same lines, consider this Rumor Mill-worthy, but our industry sources are telling is that Paramount will be re-issuing their Gladiator Blu-ray later this Summer or Fall, complete with a brand-new 1080p transfer that was just completed a couple of months ago. (It was done after Paramount and Universal realized how bad the first one was, naturally.) Paramount is re-issuing a number of their BDs this month in new Academy Award-themed packaging. The Gladiator DVD is included in this, but not the Blu-ray, and sources tell us this is because they studio will re-issue the Blu-ray timed to the theatrical or home video release of Ridley Scott's Robin Hood later this year. It MAY also be re-branded as a new 10th Anniversary Edition. We'll post official details as they become available. (And no, we don't know if there will be an exchange program there either.)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Ugh, a rebranding a la Gangs of New York. At least the word was out early on that title and I managed to avoid it, but I purchased this one. Luckily I think I bought Gladiator as part of that "special deal" when it came out with another "Sapphire" title, so I think I'm out only about $10 with the repurchase. Wait a sec..come to think of it, Sapphire Series was a new brand, so they're going to rebrand a new brand? Double ugh,

If they really want to show contrition (and when was the last time a corporation did that?) they should offer at least a silent exchange programs, if not an outright one.

Or heck, just include a "Previous Blu Ray Owners get a $20 rebate." That would take the sting out of the purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks