What's new

Gladiator BD exchange (1 Viewer)

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Originally Posted by Carlo Medina
Sorry to hear that others are having bad experiences. It cost me a little more (I think under $3 total) but I sent mine certified mail USPS so I could track it and prove I had returned it. Luckily I didn't need to resort to that.
Sent mine the same way so I know it arrived. The problem is nobody at Paramount can tell me anything. The people at the 888 number are absolutely clueless. If I had a dollar for every time they told me "someone will contact you within 48 hours" I could buy a new disc. Paramount's customer service blows.

Jay_J

Agent
Real Name
JJ
Still not a sign of any remastered discs in Canada. I'm sure Paramount will try to sell all the originals before they send out new ones. None of the stores know anything about replacement discs, it's a big secret up here! I'm just glad I don't have to go through sending the thing back and waiting. If the new discs never show up here, so be it. I'll just stick with my old dvd.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ Interesting you should say that. I saw the remastered one and discussed it with the manager at a Blockbuster store (in Canada) over a month ago. He had coincidentally just watched it the night before (it was a rental). Apparently some of the closed stores in California shipped their disc inventory to Canadian Blockbusters. What I am getting at is it might be worth a look there for a pre-viewed BD cheap, after all it's hardly a new title, not even new to BD as far as most are concerned. [Never had a problem with a pre-viewed BD from there, they clean up nice, wouldn't buy such DVDs though.]

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Todd H
It's been seven weeks so far and nothing. I wish there was someone at Paramount I could call. The answering service handling the exchange calls say there's nothing they can do. /img/vbsmilies/htf/frown.gif
I sent mine in regular first class mail and had my replacement in hand after approx 2 weeks.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich
I sent mine in regular first class mail and had my replacement in hand after approx 2 weeks.
You're lucky. I know mine arrived but nobody knows what happened to the disc after that. I even called Fed Ex and they don't have any records of anything sent to my home in that time frame. I guess it fell into a black hole at Paramount Home Video.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I'd like to thank the Paramount rep here at HTF for all the help he or she gave me in getting my replacement disc situation taken care of. It is very much appreciated.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Todd H
I'd like to thank the Paramount rep here at HTF for all the help he or she gave me in getting my replacement disc situation taken care of. It is very much appreciated.
Ya gotta love happy endings...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Todd,

Appreciate that. That's the first thanks we received
which sort of surprises me based on the original complaint.

Paramount really stepped up efforts here which is no
surprise to me.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein
Todd,

Appreciate that. That's the first thanks we received
which sort of surprises me based on the original complaint.

Paramount really stepped up efforts here which is no
surprise to me.
Another reason why I love this forum. This place never fails to surprise me, even after over ten years of being a member. It was a nice surprise finding a PM in my box after returning from vacation at Disney World. Thanks Ron. You always come through for us.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
You know, I come to the realize that I should count my blessings when it comes to a corrected release being available after something like Gladiator. I bit on Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon when the price went down, and after reading a subtitle track that is distractingly incoherent and does not even work well in its own context, what I wouldn't give for a trade-in program that would give me a good chance of getting a copy with any sort of competent subtitle track.

I have ordered from Gladiator from Amazon (they should be shipping it with How To Train Your Dragon), and worse comes to worse they ship the old one, there is a path that leads to a good release. The same cannot be said for other titles. Thank you Paramount for providing this for Gladiator. I hope a few upset reactions to some hiccups or the fact that it was not a true recall in various forums and threads will not discourage other manufacturers from taking similar action.

John Lloyd

Second Unit
This is a real mess. I checked with Amazon before I ordered and they said that they only had the NEW version.

Well you know what happened

I called Paramount to confirm that I received the old version.
They made me open the package and read the code off the inner hub.

Amazon offered me a refund but it is probably faster to just exchange the movie with Paramount.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'm reading a wealth of comments over on
Amazon by peopel who are still receiving the
old version of Gladiator.

I wanted to purchase it from Amazon, but I
think I am going to wait it out a few months
until I am positive they have deleted that stock.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
For those who really want it, I'd recommend buying from a B&M because let's face it, Gladiator isn't a "New Release" anymore, so that old stock at Amazon and other big online discount retailers could last months or years. Hell, whose to say they aren't putting the newer version "on top" of the stack of BDs and inadvertently selling those first, and so you could risk getting an old copy no matter how long you wait.

I want to save $5 as much as the next guy, but at a certain point, if I love the movie and the only way I can be assured of getting the new stock is by purchasing it at Best Buy, then that's how I'm going to get it. Because if you buy online and get the old one, you're going to lose that $5 in shipping the disc to Paramount anyway...

urbo73

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan Campo
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein
I'm reading a wealth of comments over on
Amazon by peopel who are still receiving the
old version of Gladiator.

I wanted to purchase it from Amazon, but I
think I am going to wait it out a few months
until I am positive they have deleted that stock.
Ron, again, what is the surest way to confirm a copy is the new version? I've read that the yellow bar code is not necessarily indicative, then some say it is, other say the new one doesn't say 2-DISC set on the back, etc. I will buy it form Best Buy, but want to be sure.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
^^ What Carl said. I haven't yet seen evidence of someone buying a yellow UPC code version reporting that it was the old version. Someone speak up if this has happened to them!

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Received my replacement Monday and wow what an amazing transfer. Kudos Paramount.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Todd,

Good to hear.

This is now at the top of my must buy list.

What I plan to do is buy it from the studio
store when I go to Paramount in a few weeks.

I feel that's the only way I can be assured of
getting the newer version. I don't feel safe
purchasing from Amazon.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
So they finally got around to identifying the corrected version with a yellow bar code? I have yet to see any copies with yellow bar codes in the stores in my town. They are all still white stickers.

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb
Maybe they're counting on some Black Friday deals to flush the rest of the old version out of stores' inventories. I think this was $9.99 at a lot of places last year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks