What's new

Gladiator: 3-Disc Extended Edition announced for 6/7/05 ! (1 Viewer)

Brian_cyberbri

Stunt Coordinator
Besides space, I wonder if there is no DTS because it would require re-mastering the new footage in DTS (time + money).

I don't have any version of this, and the 2-disc good one is hard to find in stores. So I may pick this one up when it comes out.

Opi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Felix Wieme
I don't see a valid reason why this release has to include the Original theatrical cut of Gladiator. I'd rather buy the extended version with DTS and keep my old disk to preserve the old cut.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Pass. The old disc is fine to me. Great DTS ES track on it(far better than the DD track). This one will hold me over just fine until we get an HD version of the film.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Why so much noise over no DTS track? It's on the first edition already. No big deal!

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Apparantly it is. People want the new HD transfer with the DTS ES track. Call it "cake and eat it too" scenario.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I don't think it's too much to ask for a so-called "definitive edition" such as this one to have a DTS track(especially when it's a 6.1 ES track that's one of the best on the market).

Evan M.

Supporting Actor

Well, some of us are also as into the sound representation as much or even more than the video representation. I personaly can care less for a lot of extras.....give me the extended version with DTS over the "space taking" extras ANYDAY.

I also wonder if a lot of us are shocked that there will be no DTS track on the EE of Gladiator because it was really one of the first BIG movies to do DTS-ES? That is what kind of shocked me. I remember buying the movie and being like "SWEET!!! Finaly, a cool movie I can use those damn extra speakers for!!"

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
Guys, for those of you complaining about the lack of DTS ES 6.1 ... you do remember that this track wasn't arbitrarily removed, but left off becuase there simply isn't any room for it on the disc?

It's not a case of them making a bad decision -- there was no choice. Don't cry over spilt milk.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor

EXACTLY!! Thats why I am angry.... I can care less about the exras that took up the room.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

The first disc is the film only it would seem. So no extras are taking anything away. It's all for the picture.

You guys won't even give the new DD track a chance, especially since it's been known on the original version the DD and DTS tracks came from different masters. They just may use the best master possible now for the DD version.

Those of you who could hear "vast" differences probably don't have $10K-ish sound systems either. It's been shown the higher the grade components have less differences.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Unlike some, I actually care more about the video quality; does anyone know if this is a new transfer? I was never happy with the original.

Jim Barg

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Barg
Hm. Well, time to go looking for that two-disc then. (My brother owns it, but I don't.)

And no director's commentary? That surprises me, more so than no DTS. (I have no surround system, so sound is less important to me than extras... at the moment.)

Evan M.

Supporting Actor

Can you explain what you mean.....I dont follow?? Where has this been "shown"?
I do agree with you though that some of us....me included....should give the DD track a chance though. There are times when I actually prefer the DD track over DTS.......but I never have preferred a DD over DTS-ES. That to me is the big thing. At any rate....this is definately a rental for me. As it is, the only time I see myself double dipping for ANY movie is when there is an HD version for LOTR or Star Wars.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I've heard that the OOP Japanese SB looked better than the original. How will this compare, me-wonders...

:) d

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

It's far from a definitive edition. That's why I'm keeping the original 2-disc set.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
No DTS no sell here. I'll wait for a High-def DVD in the future. Don't care about extras that much. They could drop the theatrical cut and have plenty of room for DTS.

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
Chris, the theatrical cut is presented via seamless branching. Dropping it would not make any more room availible for a DTS upgrade.

And yes, guys, commentary aside, this IS the definative edition. Nobody would put the original cut of the film on the same disc as the extended cut unless they intended this release to completely undermine and supplant the original.

Clear indicator: the two-disc release is OOP. They might keep the single-disc version around as a low-cost alternative, but I think that "definative" applies to this release, without a doubt. I miss the commentary and the 6.1 sound, too, but those aren't the things that make "definative".

Also, it states in the specs, "all-new" widescreen version. This sounds like a remaster to me, which I look forward to.

Mark Wielgosz

Stunt Coordinator
I'm perfectly fine with the current 2-disc edition. It still looks pretty darn good and it does have that DTS-ES soundtrack.

Plus I like the 'Gladiator Games: Roman Blood Sports' documentary.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Ultimately the presentation of the film(picture and sound quality) matters more to me than extras so if it doesn't have the best video and audio possible I'm not interested. This is just another example of "milking" a title before the inevitable HD release comes out.

Opi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Felix Wieme
Is it such a big problem to spread it across two disks ? I don't mind walking to the player and change the disk once during the many minutes of playtime. A DTS Track is a must for me. I bought the American Collectors release additionally to my German disk only for this reason. So I gonna pass on this one (with a tear in my eye).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks