What's new

Gizmodo: How Criterion Hones Its Restoration Magic for HD (1 Viewer)

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor
I have a pre-order in for Chungking Express as I'm a Kar-Wei Wong fan but have never seen that movie. Which of the other initial Criterion titles are a good bet? I've seen Bottle Rocket (two snaps, "hated it") and probably caught Man Who Fell To Earth on TV at some point but don't recall it in detail. I'm tempted to go with The Third Man since that is a touchpiece that's been referenced so often in other works.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

Claire Panke

Second Unit

For me...the must haves are The Third Man, 400 Blows, Walkabout and The Man Who Fell To Earth.

The Third Man is one of the best movies ever made.

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor
OK, so I've preordered Chungking Express and The Third Man and would definitely like to get Walkabout which I've always read about but never seen. I'll think about The Man Who Fell to Earth one day but the prospect isn't really thrilling at the moment. And 400 Blows is one I ought to see before I die but have never worked up any great urge, maybe the Criterion Blu-Ray will provide the impetus.

Thanks, Claire.

cicadess

Auditioning
Real Name
LIU
In the midst of this chaos, a lone, mysterious prophet appeared to lend the mortal races guidance. This prophet proved to be none other than Medivh, the last Guardian,

miraculously returned from the Beyond to redeem himself buy wow gold for past sins. Medivh told the Horde and the Alliance of the dangers

they faced and urged them to band together. Jaded by generations of hate, the orcs and humans would have none of it. Medivh was forced to deal with each race separately, using

prophecy and trickery to guide them across the sea to the legendary land of Kalimdor. The orcs and humans soon encountered the long-hidden civilization of the Kaldorei.

The orcs, led by Thrall, suffered a series of setbacks on their journey across Kalimdor’s Barrens. Though they befriended Cairne Bloodhoof and his mighty tauren warriors, many

orcs began to succumb to the demonic bloodlust that had plagued them for years. Thrall’s greatest lieutenant, Grom Hellscream, even betrayed the Horde by giving himself over to

his baser instincts. As Hellscream and his loyal Warsong warriors stalked through the forests of Ashenvale, they clashed with the ancient night elf Sentinels. Certain that the

orcs had returned to their warlike ways, the demigod Cenarius came forth to drive Hellscream and his orcs back. Yet Hellscream and his orcs, overcome with supernatural hate and

rage, managed to kill Cenarius and corrupt theWOW Gold ancient forestlands. Ultimately, Hellscream redeemed his

honor by helping Thrall defeat Mannoroth, the demon lord who first cursed the orcs with his bloodline of hate and rage. With Mannoroth’s death, the orcs’ blood-curse was

finally brought to an end.

While Medivh worked to convince the orcs and humans of the need for an alliance, the night elves fought the Legion in their own secretive ways. Tyrande Whisperwind, the immortal

High Priestess of the night elf Sentinels, battled wow powerleveling desperately to keep the demons and undead from

overrunning the forests of Ashenvale. Tyrande realized that she needed help, so she set out to awaken the night elf druids from their thousand-year slumber. Calling upon her

ancient love, Malfurion Stormrage, Tyrande succeeded in galvanizing her defenses and driving the Legion back. With Malfurion’s help, nature herself rose up to vanquish the

Legion and its Scourge allies.

While searching WOW Gold[/b] for more of the hibernating druids, Malfurion found the ancient barrow prison in which he

had chained his brother, Illidan. Convinced that Illidan would aid them against the Legion, Tyrande set him free. Though Illidan did aid them for a time, he eventually fled to

pursue his own interests.

The night elves braced themselves and fought the Burning Legion with grim determination. The Legion had never ceased in its desire for the Well of Eternity, long the source of

strength for the World Tree and itself the heart of the night elf kingdom. If their planned assault on the Tree was successful, the demons would literally tear the world apart.

cicadess

Auditioning
Real Name
LIU
The orcs, led by Thrall, suffered a series of setbacks on their journey across Kalimdor’s Barrens. Though they befriended Cairne Bloodhoof and his mighty tauren warriors, many

orcs began to succumb to the demonic bloodlust that had plagued them for years. Thrall’s greatest lieutenant, Grom Hellscream, even betrayed the Horde by giving himself over to

his baser instincts. As Hellscream and his loyal Warsong warriors stalked through the forests of Ashenvale, they clashed with the ancient night elf Sentinels. Certain that the

orcs had returned to their warlike ways, the demigod Cenarius came forth to drive Hellscream and his orcs back. Yet Hellscream and his orcs, overcome with supernatural hate and

rage, managed to kill Cenarius and corrupt theWOW Gold ancient forestlands. Ultimately, Hellscream redeemed his

honor by helping Thrall defeat Mannoroth, the demon lord who first cursed the orcs with his bloodline of hate and rage. With Mannoroth’s death, the orcs’ blood-curse was

finally brought to an end.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
The following is speculation my part.

If you have any interest in The Man Who Fell to Earth, you should pick it up sooner rather than later, because I don't think Criterion will have the rights to it for very much longer.

Criterion licensed the film from Anchor Bay, who licensed the film from Studio Canal. Anchor Bay had licensed a lot of Studio Canal films and most of them are now, or will soon be, OOP and have been/or will be rereleased by Lionsgate. (In fact, on the SD DVD front, Lionsgate will be rereleasing The Wicker Man in January and I expect Anchor Bay's editions to go OOP. So, if anyone wants the 2-DVD version you should pick it up now because it seems like Lionsgate is only releasing the 88 minute version.)

Now, if The Man Who Fell to Earth is one of the Studio Canal titles that is now, or will soon be, with Lionsgate, Criterion's release will go OOP. (Unless, Criterion was able renew the license directly from Studio Canal or Lionsgate, but I wouldn't risk it.)

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor
Well I redid my Amazon pre-order to get The Man Who Fell to Earth, The Third Man and of course Chungking Express which is the real prize of the bunch. I also added The Last Emporer, aspect ratio cavils notwithstanding, because I remember it being quite a spectacle in its original release and even with its framing squeezed down it should be awesome. My wife has never seen it.

When the next batch come available I'll get Walkabout and probably 400 Blows and that ought to just about tap out my classic movie budget for the next good many months. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks