What's new

Give up the RPTVV for FP? (1 Viewer)

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
Has anyone (I am sure plenty) done this? How does an RPTV compare to LCD/DLP/CRT projectors (aside from the larger image)?
Marc

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
Luckly I did not have to choose. I still use my rptv for casual and day time viewing and use my fp for dvd's and hdtv. :D

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
I have a Mits WS65905 that is just massive. My room is 11x15 and the TV takes up a lot of space. I was ok with this. Then I heard that Mits has backed out of 'the promise' by puting DVI in their new sets and not include this in a future promise module. So, that got me looking at FP a bit and I got suucked in. I would love a big screen (I know I can't go too big because of my room size and sitting distance) and would love to ditch the TV and free up the space in my room. Ambient light is not an issue.
Marc

John Rheaume

Auditioning
Hi Marc

You'd be surprised at what size screen you can get from a FP in a 11 x 15 room. If you want to find out exactly what you can do, go
here and pick your poison.

Getting sucked in is about half the fun. Unlike you though I never had any intention of putting one of those behemoth RPTV's any where in my home. Just too much of a space waster. And how does one go about disposing of them when they go bad?

As far as picture quality goes, a properly set up FP and appropriate screen in a light controlled room will, dollar for dollar, win out every time IMHO. There's nothing like the film like 3D effect of a good PJ outside of a good commercial theater.

If you would like to see a few of the currently available FP's, I can highly recommend you give Ad-Tech Systems in Wayland a call. I found them very friendly and of invaluable assistance in my PJ search. I think it would be no more than a 45 minute drive on Rt. 20 from Bahstan.

Good luck from a fellow Bay Stater.

John

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
My current room is 11x15 and I am currently displaying a 96" 9x16 image on a DIY screen that I am very happy with. Keep in mind you will gain about 3ft of space because the screen is flat against the wall. I would agree that a decent projector properly set up in a light controlled room will beat out a RPTV but do your research first for the best FPTV that you can get within your budget.

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the replies guys. My short list so far is:
VPL-HS10
HT1000
PLV-70 (dreaming a bit)
I am leaning towards the sony because I want the HDCP but I am totally in the early stages. I really want to see if anyone in the bay state wants to buy my RPTV so I can somewhat justify it to my wife.
Thanks for the reccomendation John. I will check them out
Marc

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
I feel that I will have to sell my rptv to reap the benefits of a FP system. But it's just so hard to say goodbye to it since it's been ISF'd. It's become a newborn child to me, and how do you let go of your baby?:b

rin

Stunt Coordinator
I sold my Mits 65" WS RPTV and bought a Boxlight Matinee 1HD FPTV(Sanyo PLV-Z1)a week ago.

I'm still not sure what screen to use (size/gain/DIY,etc.) but even projected on an off-white textured wall(for the time being)it looks great with DVD's and HDTV. The Mits did look better, but not a whole lot better. I'm afraid to see what DirectTV will look like though. I'll let you know when I get a 50' S-video cable.

I don't watch a lot of TV but my 4 year old watches PBSkids and Disney so a 27" TV is fine for that. If you watch a lot of TV you might want to consider a smaller display in addition to the FPTV and maybe a pull down screen?.

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the replies,
Rin, which model mits and how much did you get for it? I have a 65905 and figure I could get about $2000 or so. It has been ISF'd and has 3yrs left on a 5yr transferable warranty. I hae made my decision and the Mits' days are numbered. I have to save some doe to buy the projector I want but I decided to aim high and get the Dwin TV3. I love the 2 box solution and 2 DVI is very nice!
Marc

rin

Stunt Coordinator
I think it was a 65859, it was the Platinum Plus model.
I sold it to a family member for the exact amount the PJ cost, less than 1500 bucks.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
I'm going to only use the projector for dvd viewing only. So you actually saw less picture quality on the FP Rin? Do you think that once you get a good grey screen to match the projector it will look better or at least the same quality as your Mits?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I echo LaMarcus's sentiments. Try a gray/silver screen to go with your Z1. It will tend to boost the PQ over a white screen.

rin

Stunt Coordinator
Oh yeah, when I get a screen and mount the PJ I'm sure it will rival the Mits PQ.

Right now it's projecting on an off white textured wall that the PJ is too far away from, so the image is about 14-15' wide.

I know this is way too large for this PJ's capabilities but it's only temporary. I was thinking of a 96-100" diagonal gray screen.

What do you guys think?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Rin, how large is your room and how far is your seating? 96" just happens to be the size I am projecting in my room, 11'x15'x12' (width, depth, height).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks