Girls and Video Games

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Rob_Pierce, Apr 17, 2003.

1. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

I'd really like to read this article in 10 years, written by the same person. She has some good points, but sandwiches them between inane comments such as the phallic joystick comment and the comments regarding Tomb Raider (if she hasn't played the game, her opinion is invalid).

Also, if you are going to examine what can be viewed as a minority of games, it it can't be done without looking at the majority. To provide a true picture of how females are portrayed in games, it must be contrasted with how males are portrayed in games. The differences will be just as illuminating as the similarities.

In 10 years, she'll either have a mature, fair, and well thought out opinion, or she'll no longer care (which would be a shame). In summary, she's just looking for better game development, with characters that have more depth. How is this limited to females? This holds true regardless of gender. Someday she may look beyond the gender issue and realize this. Until then, the Mary Daly-esque comments regarding the phallic shapes of joysticks will continue to undercut her arguments.

Or maybe she'll begin development on a yonic shaped joystick that will revolutionize the industry.

-Dave

2. BertFalasco

BertFalasco Supporting Actor

Glen, you are absolutely right, I didn't think before I posted, so anyone delete my msgs please. I just took out my thoughts on you guys, I am sorry.

3. EdR

EdR Second Unit

Hmm, the article actually turned out to be rather unremarkable for all the fuss. It's well reasoned and not very controversial. I suspect if some of the more vocal people here had read it, they might even agree with her.

I do think her points about joysticks are funny and off-base. Could it be that joysticks are shaped the way they are because of ergonomics? Nah.

She clearly understands that many men like to look at skimpily clad women, and she agrees that it does have a place. Her beef is when game designers pander to this desire in games where it's doesn't fit the storyline or context.

She also thinks that some games are marketed toward boys and men using sexuality, and that this can turn women off to games they might otherwise enjoy.

4. Steve Bjorg

Steve Bjorg Stunt Coordinator

Jason, you were right to call me out on that statement. I was irritated by some earlier posts, which lead me to some sweeping generalizations. I'm glad to see that I was wrong.
    I sure hope that we will see more strong female lead characters in games and movies. The damsel-in-distress or kick-ass-fighter-in-thongs is just irking me. There has to be a middle ground there.

5. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

6. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Does anyone who was around when the original Tomb Raider launched disagree that Lara's sexuality was not the main selling point for most people? I played it, I read Usenet posts about it, it seemed to me that the game was the thing. Sure, males appreciated Lara's appearance, but it was the novel (and excellent) gameplay and the Voodoo-showcasing engine that were most discussed. Frankly, once it became the Lara Croft T&A Show, I was out.

I hope my comments in my first post weren't seen as part of what could lead this thread to locksville.

To further clarify, I don't own a single "cheesecake" game. I've mainly been playing PC FPSs for the past decade, and my time has most recently been taken up by Metroid Prime and the various 3D Zelda games. I don't know if women like these types of games or not, but I see nothing in them that would offend them. The only female "gamer" I know is my sister, and she mainly likes the old Mario side-scrollers, Donkey Kong Country, and Sonic. She doesn't care much about games anymore, but I'm sure she'd still play something in that vein if it were released.

7. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Greg-

To back up what you said about Tomb Raider...

As the games became less original and Lara's body became rendered better (boobs more boob-shaped, less cone-shaped), the series saw worse sales. So the ability to see a hot chick in a videogame lost it's novelty, if it was there as a major thing to begin with.

8. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

9. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

10. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Frankly this whole back and forth discussion is rather futile as a majority of posts (with the exception of a few well though out responses) are men speculating as to what types of games a woman would want to play. Lets be honest here, as much as we think we know about women they remain a mystery[​IMG]

Brian brought up The Sims which is a perfect example of a game that breaks down all gender walls. I played the game for two weeks and the novelty of it wore off and I have yet to touch it again (nor do I have the slightest inclination too either). My wife has been playing the game on a regular basis for damn near two and a half years now. Superstar is coming in May and she already has a preorder placed. Which absoutely amazes me as my wife is anything but a gamer.

Some other titles she enjoys are Mario Party 4 and the two Super Monkey Ball games. At first we played a ton of the party games on Monkey ball but after awhile she really got into the single player game and I caught her a few times playing by herself[​IMG].

I'd really love to hear a female perspective on this subject, to see exactly what games she would (or wouldnt) like to play. I personally know several females that are diehard MMORPG'ers and swear by those games. I know a few that are complete fantasy nuts and love games like Enclave and such. It would be a mistake to say all females want something nice and cuddly to play[​IMG]

11. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

12. BrianB

BrianB Producer

13. Romier S

Romier S Producer

14. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

First of all, Pacman, Q*Bert, Tetris, etc. were games that came out a long time ago and are games that you can play for a few minutes, stop, and then pick up again later, or play for hours on end. They're puzzle games.

The Sims, Roller Coaster Tycoon, and similar games are simulations. Those have been out for a while, also.

But making a game that creates a new genre or crosses boundaries is not a new thing. Many games reinvent genres, add unique elements to them, or set new standards for them. The best example of this I can think of is Super Mario 64, which MADE the 3-D Platforming genre.

The problem comes from making a game that appeals to JUST women. There is no such thing as a game that appeals to just one sex, and if there is a game that appeals to ONLY women (since that's the big issue), then what is it that women want to play? All I see is girl gamers that complain about there not being girl-games, but they don't offer concrete ideas, only vague ones like "better writing." I know girls who are content with games like GoldenEye, and I know others who love DDR. If anything, games should just try to be good rather than appeal to any specific sex.

15. Romier S

Romier S Producer

16. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer