What's new

Gimme a Break! a contender for Shout! Factory?? (1 Viewer)

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I saw the news too. I can't wait to see the coverart. It looks like this is their next big release. I hope we get more news before the end of 2008. It would be great to have a January 2009 release date.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
I'm very happy! But I'll be happier when I can confirm it's uncut. Even so I'd still buy it. I think VEI was waiting out to see if Universal would continue with the series. I don't own any other VEI prodcut besides GAB but I don't think I've ever heard of any of their sets having edits or music replacements. That is probably one reason they waited so long. Didn't they even clear all the music to one of Stephen Canell's series, I think Hardcastle & McCormick? I don't think any of his series in the US kept original music intact, so maybe VEI is good with music. I can't wait to finally get season 3!

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I am, as I have been with every box set, cautiously optimistic.

But in the TVshowsondvd article they refer to it as "Season 3" not "The Complete Third Season," the wording they used for the first two. I hope this is not a bad sign.

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
VEI seems to have answered everyone else's emails to them except mine :frowning: Maybe they didn't like what I called some of the others shows they released when I was mad they weren't releasing GAB :laugh:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

Wow, you sure jumped to a conclusion!

It was my own personal word choice, to describe the season that came after the first one and the second one. It was not a title handed to me by the studio or anything!

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I apologize, but I've been burned too many times by the manipulative semantics of studios. I was unaware it was your word choice.

FremantleMedia, to their credit, cleared all music seasons 1 and 2 and provided uncut episodes on all of them to Universal who gave up after season 1, and VEI who seems to want to get this show done. Except for some sound issues on a few season 2 episodes, they have done better with the presentation of actual episodes than most studios would. I just hope it continues.

Oh, and that season 4 multi-song medley I mentioned, it was all done at one angle.

And...

Someone on YouTube was posting clips from the show (long gone), and one was an NBC 1981 fall preview promo with what looked like an alternate pilot. It had a different set for the living room, some different dialogue, and the same plot as the first episode that actually aired. Apparently there were only two daughters; Kari Michaelsen was still in it, but the younger one was played by Tracey Gold. Whatever this is, I hope it can be found and included on a future set.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

Hey Matt,
Don't harsh my buzz. We get great news, and your giving us the razzle dazzle. Have faith.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that VEI says it will be coming in the first half of 2009. This puts them miles above Universal in my book. I was nervous about the first release; it wasn't until the Sitcoms Online review that confirmed the set was safe to buy that I was able to rest assured; that was a couple of days before the release.

I'm trying to be realistic but I don't want to dampen anyone's enthusiasm. If the past is any indicator of the future, then in this case it's a good thing.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

Just so you understand, though, let me explain a bit further.

I post news, and Gord posts release listings, for tons and tons of shows. Some of these shows come with DVDs in season sets that use a phrase like "The Complete ?th Season", others use "Season ?" and still others use "The ?th Season" or maybe even rearrange words like this: "The Complete Season ?"

Not to mention variations like UK shows that use "Series" instead of "Season", or releases like Family Guy where it's not broken down by seasons so we have to remember that it's "Volume". Then of course there are all the lovely split-season sets like CBS and Fox do, so it's "Season ?, Volume ?" or "The ?th Season, Volume ?", or whatever. And some of the studios officially use the abbreviation "Vol." instead of writing out the word. Ugh, it's so hard to keep in mind which shows use what title format!

And then, of course, some change mid-stream, going from "The Complete ?th Season" to "The ?th Season" or "Season ?", making it even harder to keep up with it. I think some studios may have "outlawed" using the word "complete" in any of their titles due to the fan complaints of "well, you changed that music or edited that scene, so it's not really 'complete' now, is it?" But then we get complaints from other fans about changing the title formats at our site (i.e., seasons 1, 2 and 3 all said "the complete ?th season", so when we look at the list of titles and see "season 4," it comes first on the list because "S" in "season 4" comes first alphabetically before the "T" in "the complete...").

Gord and I talk about this more than you probably imagine, each correcting the other and deciding what to do in individual cases. It blows our minds, quite frankly. In the end, we have come up with one major rule:

The title of the release is what it says on the packaging...especially the spine.

why the spine? Because front covers have so much space on them, that the graphic artist can sometimes use that space to stylishly arrange the words on it to look "cool", without giving the reader a clear idea of what order the words come in. But on the spine, there's limited room, so the order of the wording there is the wording we officially use at our site.

So the OFFICIAL title of "Gimme a Break - Season 3" isn't known, as far as we're concerned, until we get the box art! Until then, it's all chit-chat and whatever people decide to say and write to describe the release until that art is finalized and the true title is known. :D

Tony S

Stunt Coordinator
I still have not ordered S2. Right now the price of S2 is more than the price of the S1/S2 combo. And since I already have S1 I dont want to re-buy it. Hopefully the price will come down by the time S3 comes out and I will order S2 and S3 along with Kate & Allie S5 and save on shipping.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Looks like VEI has given up on Gimme a Break.
Seasons 1, and 2 are no longer available through AmazonCa.(only aftermarket).

I don't think we will ever see the entire series released:frowning:

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
I am not even sure VEI is still putting out new dvds. They have not put anything out in months.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert

I posted about this same situtation recently at SitcomsOnline.com. I really hoped to have Season 3 on dvd by now. If nothing else, I think they should at least released Seasons 3 & 4 which contain the bulk of great "Nell & Addy" episodes.

I also noticed the dvds are no longer in stock at amazon.ca. But someone at the other board said they called VEI and that they are still in business. However, you're right. They have not released or announced anything in a VERY long time. They only had 1 season to go for "Kate & Allie" which is a shame because that could be another classic show completed on dvd.

If anyone hears anything, please post in this thread. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks