What's new

Gimme a Break! a contender for Shout! Factory?? (1 Viewer)

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

actually, Cosby was probably the worst example to use because it's a rare show where a lot of people believe season 1 is the best (I personally give season 2 the edge, but 1 is definately up there) yet that's the season that got screwed with all the syndicated edits.

But if you mean that they're releasing two sets at once, I agree.

Regarding bootlegs, I don't believe for a second they're ever supposed to take the place of the real thing, just a way to hold the fans over until a real set comes out, since the companies seem to treat most shows from the 70's and 80's like garbage with few rare exceptions, almost all shows which are played to death on TV Land anyways

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I didn't use Cosby Show as an example of a show that hit its stride after its first season. I used that because they had more than one season at a time available, and it apparently worked. Now hopefully First Look will redo season 1 properly.

1970s shows have an edge over 1980s, perhaps because they had a decade to ingrain themselves in the syndication fabric before talk shows, court shows and infomercials ripped them apart.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Great write-up, Barbara! Those are great comments to let them know how much fans are begging for the show to be released. Hope they take it into consideration. :)

Barbara.G

Stunt Coordinator
I was just notified that Gimme A Break! seasons one and two are being released in Canada in September. Any hope for more I wonder in the States.

tvshowsondvd notified me.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Me and my family loved this show originally. I'm not sure about a revisit for myself, but I'll bet my mother would love this. I'd most likely buy a few seasons for her as gifts if it has held up.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
This is old news. The bundle was announced a while ago and the date has since been pushed back. I actually e-mailed tsod.com with the news but they never posted a blurb on it. Not sure why. But now they are e-mailing the news instead of posting it on their site. This has been one of the most-difficult shows for me to collect because the news has been so hard to find and hard to confirm. What tsod.com says doesn't match what Amazon says and VEI hasn't responded to any e-mails yet their new site lists Season 3 as upcoming. I love this show but they are really doing their best to try to make the dvd sales fail.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
OMG! Gord, I never saw that update. Thanks for letting me know. Jesus, I hope I'm not getting senile at 30.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
If VEI is indeed working on Season 3, I hope they can clear all the music that was used. Most of it was actually sung by the characters.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
As much as I love this series and would hate to see anything cut out of future releases I simply don't think this will ever be considered an important series therefore I'd be shocked if any studio invested a lot of money in getting all of the music cleared. If getting the rights to songs is going to be expensive then you can bet you'll see some cuts. Sad but likely true.

Does anyone remember particular songs from the last few seasons ?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Off the top of my head I can recall in season 3:

Show Me A Man That's Got a Good Woman
Up Where We Belong
A Pretty Girl is Like a Melody
Ebony and Ivory
Me and My Shadow (used on the bonus episode on the S2 set)
I Don't Know How To Love Him
It Might As Well Be Spring
The Battle Hymn of the Republic (PD, therefore not a concern)
His Eye is On The Sparrow (also PD)
Guantanamera
Wheel of Fortune theme music
On Broadway
The Boy From Ipanema
Camelot
Swanee (PD)

In season 4:

At the Fair
When the Saints Go Marching In (PD)
Let's Hear it For the Boy
Heaven Knows
On the Sunny Side of the Street
an early 60s girl-group medley using at least 10 different songs
Happy Days are Here Again
You're Nobody Till Somebody Loves You
Am I Blue?
They Can't Take That Away From Me
Hello Young Lovers

Season 5 includes:
Ain't Misbehavin'
The Mickey Mouse Club March
Am I Blue (again)
America
What the World Needs Now is Love

Season 6 includes:
Sing
New York, New York
Fly Me To The Moon

There may be more, but that's all I can remember.

Not exactly the same situation of The Wonder Years/WKRP in Cincinnati/Miami Vice, but enough to put a dent into potential profits, unless Canada has different licensing rules.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Great songs. But it's bad news for getting future releases uncut. I simply can't imagine anyone licensing all those songs even if they could.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

I wouldn't rule it out entirely. Seasons 1 and 2 had no cuts of any kind. Consider that other, less popular shows, and shows that failed can have as much music as this or more licensed, and that more popular and more successful shows than this have been subject to music replacements or kept off DVD entirely. Of course, as I have said, the situation could be totally different for Canada. I don't know anything about Canadian music licensing regulations. Most of the music was not chosen arbitrarily. It had something to do with the action, even so far as moving the story forward in some instances.

FremantleMedia and VEI could always split the costs. If someone picks up the slack on the US front they could chip in as well.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
there's also a scene in season 3 where Nell is doing housework and dancing to "She's A Maniac"

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
This is all probably why VEI is so hesitant to confirm a release for Season 3 and forward. I wish we could, at least, get Season 3, as it has some of my faves on it. I think sales from Season 3 would ultimately test whether or not the series should continue on dvd.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks