Gilmore Girls Season 7 Thread

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Duane R, Sep 24, 2006.

1. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I loved seeing Luke punch Christopher... even if it was a sucker punch and completely unfair.

Over the summer, I saw that a character was going to get pregnant so I was just happy that it wasn't Lorelai or Rory. I guess will have her baby in the finale.

And Zack's line about "I know now that I'm not morally opposed to murder, I just don't have the guts to do it" was priceless. [​IMG]

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I despised the first 40 minutes or so of this episode, but finally the light of truth was being shined on the situation, and getting past the initial phase of anger will hopefully yield better episodes to come.

3. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I loved that Luke let Christopher have it i'm sorry to say, I like Christopher but he had a knuckle sandwhich coming IMO.

He allowed himself to have sex with Loralai even though he knew that she would regret it later, he was selfish, he just wanted Loralai all to himself and he didn't care about the reprecussions of his actions and Luke let him know it by cleaning his clock. Sure, Luke could have gone about it differently instead of cold-cocking the man but what are you gonna do?

Loved Rory going off on Loralai, she represented what I wanted to say to her and she even brought up something that I hadn't taken into account before...Loralai's disregard for Rory's relationship with her dad. It sucked at the end because I thought for one single microsecond that Luke and Loralai were going to make up in the frozen food section but I knew that it was much too soon for that.

And wow, Lane's pregnant! Is it just me or is life moving way too fast for Lane, the girl still looks like she's 17! At the rate she's going, next season if there is one, she'll probably be divorced, married to her second husband and collecting child support from Zack lol.

Loralai to Sookie...
    "I could be married right now to someone who doesn't want to be married to me..."

(sigh) [​IMG]

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I've never liked Christopher as a character, he's never felt all that 3-dimensional, and always seems to just be a plot device. And now his continued presence is even more annoying to me.

Kirk became a truly blathering idiot in this episode. It was just awful. There's only so much you can stomach when a character acts so dumb and clueless of the impact of their actions before you just write them off as being absolute time-filler of the worst degree. This new writing regime is not off to a good start.

5. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    After last week this episode felt more like the show I've known and loved, at least in terms of pace and rhythm. Kirk has always been a bit of a time filler to me, so nothing new there. My favorite part was Lane's "I hate sex" rant. Rory's rebuke came in second.

6. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    One thing I did like about Loralai in this episode, she was watching Enter the Dragon in it's OAR. [​IMG]

Hell, she scores bonus points with me for being a woman and LIKING Enter the Dragon lol!

7. John_Lee

John_Lee Supporting Actor

I usually find Kirk annoying, but I found this particular iteration fairly funny.
    I think the 'no cell phones' poster tacked up in his 'diner' put the scene over the top.

8. Wendy_L

Wendy_L Supporting Actor

I've been so busy that I haven't had the chance to put in my comments on the latest episode.

I also thought it was great that Luke sucker punched Christopher. He totally had it coming to him.

Also, I felt soooo bad for Lane and that her first time was a miserable failure. Poor girl. And now she's pregnant. She'll never like sex now. So, maybe I should say 'poor Zach'. And her thing about how she's impressed with women and how we have kept the conspiracy going for years was quite comical too.

Good episode.

9. Duane R

Duane R Second Unit

I particularly enjoyed Lane and Rory making fun of celebrities kids names. At least we should see civility between Luke and Lorelai now, although I still don't care for Christopher either.

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Eh, so-so episode, though Michel at the cotillion was sort of amusing.

11. Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds Screenwriter

Aaron Reynolds
    Really? I thought it was the best one so far (though not as good as anything from, say, last season) -- I loved Paris' "You don't fall in love with someone who makes you want to crap your pants" speech, and her texting Doyle. And the bookstore scene was cute, too.

I'm trying to give the season a chance, but each episode has been pretty hit-or-miss so far.

Did anyone catch what was on Luke's new cap? It's a fitted minor-league baseball team cap from New Era -- but I didn't get a clear view of what was on the front.

12. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    It was a decent ep last night although not much happened and I was bored by the cotillian stuff. I'm a little worried about Zack, I don't think that he's quite ready to be a father but that's just me.

Rory and Logan venturing into long-distance phone sex was cool, though, although i'm not sure about the texting lol. And hold onto your backwards caps, folks, we're heading into yet another Loralai romance now that Christopher has professed his love for her, that future home-wrecking bastard lol.

I wonder what imaginary reasons she'll talk herself into for getting out of this one? [​IMG]

13. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I found the stuff with Michel pretty funny. And the stuff with Paris texting Doyle while talking to Rory was great... even if it was somewhat unsettling. [​IMG]

14. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

Good episode I thought.

One little anachronism, when Lorelei is talking about Pop Tarts, she talked about being a kid and her first time opening up the silver wrapper.

I'm a couple years younger than her, but when I was a kid, they were in white paper sort of wrappers. The silver didn't come until later.

Geez, the Palladinos leave, and they get all their facts wrong!

15. John Lloyd

John Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

I am pretty sure I remember the foil wrapper being standard in the early 70s.

I checked the Wikipedia (not always the best source) and it seems to confirm that foil wrapping was a key component:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop-Tarts
    Post Cereals first created the confection that would become Pop-Tarts in the early 1960s in China. The company had developed a process of enclosing dog food in foil to keep it fresh without refrigeration. They adapted the process to create a new breakfast food for the toaster to complement their popular cold cereals. Post announced their new product in 1963 to the press, giving them the name "Country Squares."

16. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

I liked this week's episode quite a bit. And the cotillion stuff was at least worth it to see the little "rebel" girl who could be a future Lorelai.

I've been pretty happy with the season so far, definitely not as much of a change as I had feared when I heard the Palladinos were leaving (I was bracing for Season 5 West Wing changes... ugh). There's a subtle difference, but I don't think a casual viewer would ever notice.

17. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    This is Dave's wife, and he just showed me your GG thread.

I did feel the first episode was off - like the new writers were trying too hard - but I was also aware that I may be biased knowing of the writer change. I was later validated when talking to a new friend who also sensed a change in the show but didn't know about the change in writers.

The biggest problem with the dialogue is that it just isn't as intelligent or interestingly obscure as it should be. And correct me if I'm wrong, but that kind of banter should be mostly between Loralai and Rory - not every character on the show.

The new season isn't all bad, but I miss the Palladinos.

18. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I haven't noticed it (but that doesn't mean that it isn't happening either). I can think of more specific examples of it when the Palladinos were around. Digger Stiles (Lorelai's boyfriend in S4) seemed to only be able to speak in Gilmore banter and it bothered the hell out of me. Also, they occasionally give Christopher a little too much dialogue like that.

19. Aaron Reynolds

Aaron Reynolds Screenwriter

Aaron Reynolds
    But see, Digger and Chris are both of Lorelai's generation and demeanor -- at least when Emily got in on the action during the Palladino Days, she'd say "It looks like something worn by that homosexual man whose tiger tried to eat him" -- topical, but something in the news, and spun with her own disapproval and vague grasp of the precise facts.

I liked that Digger spoke fast and was deeply referential, but that his stuff always leaned towards Star Trek and general geekery.

I still think season four was the pinnacle of the show, with season three and five close behind.

20. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer
    Supporter

I think the Wikipedia article has some errors. From what I can remember Post actually released the product in February of 1964 and not 1963. Ok I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, perhaps they announced in 63 and didn't ship until 64. Kellogg's definitely didn't ship their’s until late 64.

Jon is correct in that the outside package was white. Basically I think the material two-sided, a white paper type material on the outside and a dull silver foil on the inside. What I am certain of is that the original material was much thicker then the current stuff.

Good catch Jon because when Lorelei was a little girl it was definitely white on the outside.