What's new

Gilmore Girls - 5/18/04 - Raincoats and Recipes (1 Viewer)

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
Nice paralell to the season premiere title "Ballrooms and Biscotti". Will Rory and Dean go all the way? Will Luke and Lorelai go half the way? Tune in tonight on an all new (Or as the WB would call it, "fresh") Gilmore Girls.

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
Guess who's VCR messed up!! :angry: This bites. If anyone wants to help a brother out and PM me if they taped it or not...

DanielCo

Stunt Coordinator
Just spent the weekend viewing season 1 on DVD. What a great lead-in to tonight's episode. I have to say that I was disappointed in this season overall. Tonight's episode though was a great oppportunity to have the entire cast together and lead in to some great possibilities for next year.

With Angel and Friends retired, I have high hopes for the show next year. Thanks to this episode, I think those hopes might be met.

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
Great episode. Nice way to end the season (although a bit painful I think).

I thought Rory and Dean would just be making out. Wow. She did the dirty. Naughty girl (cue the Beyonce music)!

Can't wait till next season.

Luke and Lorelai should be fun to see next season. I think these writers can pull it off.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
All I have to say is

Aye carumba!!!

Great ep but definitely painful, made even worse for the fact we only see Lorelai in the background while Rory is crying. Part of me hates season finales for the fact I have to wait months for some closure! Erg.

Hooray for Luke and Lorelai though.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I was really scared that this road would be more One Tree Hill than Gilmore Girls, but Amy Sherman-Palladino pulled it off. It was both welcome and heartbreaking.

It was a lackluster season, but like I said last week, nothing happened, but luckily nothing bad happened either. I'm hopeful for next season, it's set up beautifully.

Don Peskin

Stunt Coordinator
I seem to remember in a prior episode, Lorelai told Rory she should get laid. I thought that sounded like something Lorelai would not say. Evidently she did and so did Rory.
Finally a smooch between Lorelai and Luke. Been waiting for that since the show began.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Deep down, I think I'm like Lorelai in feeling that Rory was smarter than that, but I guess the rush of hormones and the Jess factor (telling herself that she's over Jess) got the best of Rory. Dean's stock totally dropped for me. This one night turned him from a decent guy trapped in a bad situation into a very selfish person. I understand the build-up of feelings that Rory had for Dean, and how sympathetic she was for his homelife situation, but what a downer way to close out the season. Stupid Stupid Stupid girl. I thought I'd never type those words about Rory, but I guess that's what growing up will do to you. I expected that from Paris, but Rory? Ugh.

Doesn't Stars Hollow have some form of law enforcement? Oh wait, that's probably Kirk... If I were Lorelai, I would have had Jason removed from the premises, and then get cracking on a Restraining order.

Lorelai's going to have her hands full next season, juggling Luke, Jason, her parents, the inn, and Rory's homewrecking ways.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I was getting kinda pissed at Dean as he was saying all that stuff. Not to say Rory is not responsible for her own actions. I guess I'm disappointed in them both but for different reasons.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
HOMEWRECKER!!!!

It did seem out of character for Rory as she has never been one to get caught up in the heat of the moment. But I'm happier with that then to see her with Jess, that James Dean wannabe goon. It's so weird to me how frank she was to Lorelai about giving it up and even trying to make a joke. I guess it's because the thought of having any personal sexual discussion with my parents, even at my age, creeps the hell out of me. Lorelai's concers are justified though. If the word gets out about Rory and Dean, it will spread like wildfire through that town and she might as well start wearing shirts with a large, scarlett "A"

Not a wise move for Lorelai to extend the invitation to her parents as part of a ploy to pull a "Gotcha!" and out them as being separated. I know she said she was making an effort get them together, but you know she was burning for a confession.

So Luke and Lorelai, huh. I guess it makes people happy but I'm on the alert now. Whenever characters with longtime sexual tension finally hook up, I can always smell a shark's breath and hear the revving of a motorcycle engine. And it happened twice last night.

I guess we'll see.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I didn't think it was out of character for Rory at all. She's smart, but she's still an emotional creature. She got swept up in the moment, and then the reality of the situation slowly crept in which left her crying on the stoop.

That's what I liked about it. Sure, it wasn't the smartest thing to do, but it humanized Rory a great deal. It also allowed Rory to make a big mistake at a young age, like Lorelai, without the lasting repercussions. It shows how alike the two really are. Lorelai has always made bad decisions regarding men, and Rory seems to have inherited it.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Rory made a mistake but I would not label her as "stupid" at this point. Stupid would be to continue to make excuses and rationalize what happened - that would most definitely be out of character for her. We get a glimpse of her returning to her senses at the end, as painful as it is to see.

And why does Rory get called a homewrecker? What about Dean? He's doing just as much for the destruction of his marriage.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Calling Rory a homewrecker suggests that Dean's marriage was ever in good shape, which wasn't the case since before Day One - I'm eagerly anticipating the episode where Lorelei describes this to Luke and he guiltily confesses exactly why he kept the Gilmores away from Dean's wedding. Not to suggest Rory or Dean were in the right here, but this doesn't make them monsters, just young people who made a mistake or two.

I did love that last shot, though - I was half expecting Rory to call Emily, say she was taking her up on her offer to go to Europe; that she backed off when she got Emily on the phone makes it pretty clear that what Lorelei said sunk in. It's a great visual with Lorelei being in the background but not forcing herself onto Rory.

On the first, yeah, I think Rory would have condoms. I think Lorelei would have insisted on it, saying she doesn't expect or necessarily want Rory to have reason to use them, but she would absolutely make sure they were there. As flaky as Lorelei can be, making sure Rory doesn't repeat her mistakes is her first priority.

As to the second, well, Rory has finished her first year of college, probably putting her around 19, numerically a teenager but considered an adult. And it's tough to consider Gilmore Girls as advocating teenage sex. Lorelei & Rory are obviously a best-case scenario of teenage pregnancy, and I'm pretty sure the only GG characters who had sex in high school are the two girls from Chilton (and good luck confirming anything but innuendo there). Maybe Paris and her boyfriend from Princeton. Not Rory, not Lane, and probably not Dean or Jess. And the first time Rory does, it's not like the show is presenting it as a positive.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think Rory cried because Lindsay answered the call to Dean, though I don't know if it was Dean's personal cell phone, or their apartment's phone. Plus hearing Lindsay's voice brought home all of Lorelai's arguments that Rory is a homewrecker because she slept with a married man, which, under any other circumstances, Rory would disagree with the notion that it's okay for an unmarried person to sleep with a married person and still maintain their own self-respect (if they valued the institution of marriage and the vows that married people take).

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
(a) they're like nineteen (b) this is hardly new (c) they immediately portrayed this as a bad choice

Loved Lorelai bumping into things, and the "just stand still" stuff.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

She called Dean, Lindsey answered. She hung up. That is a classic "other woman" scenario and Rory realized all that Lorelai had said was true. Crying commences.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

Based on the dialogue that they used protection pretty much telegraphs ASP's intentions. I could be wrong, but I think that was the gist of them mentioning it so quickly, to get that fear out of our heads.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks