What's new

Gilmore Girls 11/18/03 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This episode was written by the show's creator. It was unconventional in that it featured unfamiliar surroundings for Rory and Lorelai (the Yale-Harvard football game and a date that bounces around locales for Lorelai and Jason), while peeking and hinting at the complicated aspect of the other lives of Emily and Richard (beyond Friday suppers).

I think we learned more things about Richard's college life than I think I needed to know...

I thought they were going to blame Luke's sudden bout of "don't care how bad the new hire is doing on his new engagement with Nicole, but it was more about Luke trying to see his old self in the new hire who was too weird and drove all the diner's regulars away.

The revelation of Richard's annual lunches with his old college flame really rocked Emily's world, which appears to be more fragile than previously hinted at before. What was up with Emily's hair? It was sort of poofy as hell.

I felt really bad for Jason because I share many of his practicality traits which were turning Lorelai off on him. I can't blame him for being put off by Lorelai wanting to be near the "action" and loudness of the restaurant scene when he wanted more of an intimate setting for dinner. I don't blame him for not wanting to eat drive-thru Mexican entrees, and I also don't fault him for his "errand" shopping at the supermarket while on his date, which was becoming more disappointing as the night wore on. It did seem like Lorelai was pushing Jason's buttons to see how far she could go to piss him off.

The Paris and the teacher/author (Michael York) scene at the end looked so awkward.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I thought a very interesting episode. The writers are consistently able to show Lorelai as a very sad, self-absorbed character—it is a credit to Lauren Graham that she has the on-screen presence and charisma that we (along with Luke and everyone who is not her mother and father) forgive her, her faults.

Basically she turns everything (no matter what the occasion or who will be ignored or hurt) into something about her.

I find it continually sad that she is so estranged from her parents that she can’t let them know the tiniest bit about her life, including a major career change or attending dinner after being away for several months.

Kudos to the writers who are not afraid to show her weaknesses.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
The whole episode I noticed that it just felt "off," not in a bad way, but it was clearly a little different than normal.

Funny, did they not mention how the naked guy just passed on Rory in the laundry room?...

Good episode, but one problem __ Why did Luke not hire Lane? I think that would be an easy way to get her into more scenes without having to send her on errands, or send Rory to her house (which is just so out of the way now! - grrr)

You could also have some potentially funny scenes with her mother showing up... It just seems a little odd considering how upset Lane was about not working there. Why wouldn't she just ask Luke to hire her?

This season has just been pushing so many things forward. It's a nice change from seasons 2-3 where we mostly had episodes that went nowhere, with characters that went nowhere (Jess, anyone?). Good to see they're back on track.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
The whole episode I noticed that it just felt "off," not in a bad way, but it was clearly a little different than normal.
This was my take on this episode as well.

Personally, I'd like to see Lorelai start a relationship that just takes off. I thought maybe we might see it with "Digger", but again the writers had to make their first date awkward and uncomfortable. Too bad.

However, this episode was a great showcase for Edward Hermann's enormous acting talent. I totally believed him as a Yale alum.

Only one LOL moment for me in this ep:
"Digger": "Wear something completely evil."
Lorelai: "So horns, tail and my Wolfowitz t-shirt?" :laugh:

Rob

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The tone of the episode lacked the rapid fire reparte from Daniel Palladino's script (Amy's husband), but I think Amy (creator of the show) intentionally deviated from that style in this episode, and went with a more naturalistic tone.

I'm hoping once Luke gives the lackey the boot, he'll hire Lane.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Digger can definitely keep up with Lorelai but the half-assed facial hair has got to go! And why doesn't this just turn into an ongoing thread rather than episodic?

Michael Hughes

Second Unit
However, this episode was a great showcase for Edward Hermann's enormous acting talent. I totally believed him as a Yale alum.
Me too, extremely enjoyable performance.

The Paris Kiss at the end definitely changed the mood of the show a bit. But since it was off-site for most of the show from the comfy confines of Stars Hollow it gave the show a different feel for sure. But I really enjoyed it. However, I could not get the restaurant scenes that Michael York Shared with Larry David out of my head from "Curb Your Enthusiasm" last seasons eps.

Lorelai has really shined this year, It seemed at the start of the last season that she was starting getting annoying with her 'ratatat' dialogue and was in danger of becoming a "nanny-Fran D" type character. But that has been reeled in, her emotions have been exposed, her humanity has been allowed to shine and they have created a mutli-dimiensioned persona, and L.Graham has been abosulutely terrific. Truly Emmy inspired work this season for all around, this how deserves to be recognized as clearly one of the top shows on the tube right now.

I liked the line about Digger from Lorelai to Rory, she liked him becuase "he can keep up", that is a tough quality to find for her for sure.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The hesistancy in turning this into an ongoing thread is that it's episodic in nature, and an attempt to drum up new viewers and not chase them away in a big thread.

The newer shows that have low traffic get the ongoing thread treatment for the time being. And then you have a few of the longer running shows that get the ongoing treatment.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I don't mind the week to week threads. Usually, by the weekend it disappears, unlike the Angel thread.

I really liked this episode, even though I don't like Digger/Jason. Before signing him up for the full season, and putting him on the credits they needed to explore his character and see if what they developed would fit Lorelai. As he is now, I don't think so.

I gauge all of Lorelai's romantic attachments to Max, since he was just so cool. This guy is just weak compared to him, and by my wife's assessment in the looks department he isn't close to Max.

Not to mention, as we all know, that any guy she dates is just a place holder until her and Luke wind up together. It's TV, it's an inevitability.

Not too jazzed about Paris and Basil Exposiiton. Very jazzed about Ricahrd and Emily's new storyline (if it plays out and they don't drop it to hastily).

Jodee

Screenwriter
I hate ongoing threads. I like to just chat about the current episode and I have no patience to wade through 50 pages to get to talking about the episode.

Which is why I always stay out of the Buffy and Angel threads.

Duane R

Second Unit
Jim,
There's a new episode on tonight.:emoji_thumbsup: As to the question about the dryspell, it only bodes well for having a long string of new shows for a while.

Jim Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
That's great news. I checked the listings on my cable box yesterday, and it said they were running a movie. This and 24 tonight means great tv tonite.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I just checked Titan TV and their still listing "Austin Powers" for tonight. I thought new shows started next week.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I caught a promo that said that "One Tree Hill" would have new episodes starting next week as well (1/20/04). So I figure Gilmore Girls would follow suit. TV Guide is also reporting that "Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me" will be playing tonight on the WB.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
My ReplayTV has just had a generic Gilmore Girls description - "A woman raises a daughter in a quirky town". I haven't seen any promos for it in the WB shows I've watched where it would seem a logical thing to promote, so I'm guessing no new episode.

Kevin Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin Eckhardt
I just got home, turned on the TV, saw the new episode on the TiVo, hit play, and then Austin Powers. Arrrgghh :angry:. Must have been a last minute schedule change that my TiVo didn't get in time. I saw the new episode listed on the 'To Do' list over the weekend and was really looking forward to it. I even reminded a couple of friends about the new episode tonight. Needless to say I was a bit disappointed / embarassed when I got home tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.