Gigli to be pulled from cinemas! Could this be the shortest cinema to DVD window yet?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Johnny G, Aug 8, 2003.

1. Johnny G

Johnny G Supporting Actor

This article at MSN is reporting that the movie is expected to disappear completely in only two weeks when cinemas finish their three–week contractual obligations to screen the film.

With what's happened recently to poor Box Office performers, I can see this being on DVD by October or November at the latest.

2. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

Probably 2-3 month window. They haven't announced it's DVD release date/specs yet though, and wasn't the announcement for the Justin/Kelly movie and Real Cancun posted just a week after their theatrical releases? So in theory, we'll know for sure in a couple weeks. [​IMG]

3. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

And probably in a 2-disc collector's edition[​IMG]

4. Shaun Guidolin

poor kevin smith must be quaking in his boots after seeing the gigli press .. can't be a good omen for jersey girl.

5. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

Lol. It scored a 1.5 on IMDB.

Worst...Movie...Ever...

6. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    Can it really be worse than Glitter?

7. JayDerek

JayDerek Stunt Coordinator

Is this movie really that bad?? Or is this just the public's backlash again Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck?

wow...

~Jason

8. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

It's that bad. Even the producer said so.

9. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Real Cancun was out for 3 weeks.

I know they have pulled all ads for the film from our station, I don't know that they will pull it from theaters, but most, if they don't get receipts this week, will send it back.

10. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

WOW! This film must be horrible!

I will have to agree with all of you who say that it will be released in October. And knowing Columbia, there will probably be a Superbit edition down the road. Oh great, do I really want to see J. Lo and Ben Affleck in a high video bitrate and hear their voice in DTS 5.1? [​IMG]

Well, the Razzies will be VERY interesting this year, with both From Justin to Kelly and Gigli both taking the "top" (if you can call it that) position. [​IMG]

11. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch

They have replaced ad time paid for 'Gigli' with ads for 'Bad Boys II." And the theaters can't pull it after this week because they have a 3 week contractual obligation. But, already you'll see it playing in the smallest house of the multiplex, next it'll have showtimes shaved off, possibly down to 1 night showing and then after three weeks gone.

But, since this is Columbia I'm surprised we haven't already seen a DVD announcement. 'Glitter" was announced the Monday after it opened.

12. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

[cartman]Kick Ass[/cartman]

I love it when over-hyped stars tank like this.

13. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

GIGLI
    GLITTER
    SWEPT AWAY...

All from Columbia/Sony....are they trying for Chapter 13?

Would make a great Monster Horror Chiller Theater-with Count Floyd Triple Feature.

14. Wyatt_Y

Wyatt_Y Stunt Coordinator

I have never seen reviews as bad as for "Gigli"...I'd almost think they'd want to wait a while for people to forget all the bad press before releasing a DVD...!!!

The last time I checked rottentomatoes.com 93% of the reviews were negative...YIKES!!!

15. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

I think that all the Ben-J.Lo press hype really killed this one. People just get sick and tired of hearing it all the time. I too think the DVD will be out soon. The studio has to recoupe their money somehow. My wife didn't even want to go see this one!!!

16. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

Mark, Sony isn't trying for Chapter 13. They only have a shitload of cash leftover from all of the money that Spider-Man made, and they just figure that they can make anything, no matter how it might do in the box office.

And those 3 movies could be an excellent "Monster Horror Chiller Theater-with Count Floyd Triple Feature." I could see Columbia making these films into a trilogy box set. They could call it, "The Movies That Brought Columbia Closer to Debt Trilogy." [​IMG]

Or Sony could give those rights to MGM and they could make a "Midnite Movies Triple Feature" of them.

17. Kong Chang

Kong Chang Screenwriter

I just feel sorry for the other actors involved in this project. Now, who would put this on their resumé now after this movie tanked at the box office? I sure wouldn't.

18. Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y Screenwriter

The movie is not that bad...critics are just a$$holes and need a movie to rip...I honestly...like Kev and some others didnt see much wrong with the film at all...a great cast...well written...and shot well...if you read most reviews...they barely mention the movie...its all about Ben and Jen...hell half of em probably never saw the film...

And it wont affect Jersey Girl cause Jennifer Lopez's character dies early in the movie giving birth and the rest of the movie is about Ben raising the girl and having a relationship with Liv Tyler.

19. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I'm still amazed they found theaters willing to book this film period, let alone for three weeks. This was an obvious bomb in the making. I wouldn't want it stinking up my multi-plex if I were an exhibitor.

20. Seymour Uranowitz

Seymour Uranowitz Stunt Coordinator