What's new

Gidget - Full Screen Only?? (1 Viewer)

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
This bites big time - I was really looking forward to this. I wonder if we can get Warner's to buy Columbia...

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
I am sad to report that I picked up an early copy of the Gidget set and it is indeed, shockingly, full-frame. The first film looks awful as you'd imagine a pan-and-scan of a scope film would look. The other two films are open matte.

There is no sense to this that I can see. On the one hand they do this and Castle Keep. On the other hand, on the same day I got Gidget I also picked up Lilith and They Came to Cordura, both from Columbia/Tri Star and both in their proper ratio (Lilith 1:85, Cordura 2:35 and full frame on the flip side). Both are lovely transfers, too. So, they obviously can put both scope and full frame as a flipper, and they obviously can put only the original aspect ratio. So, these odd decisions on a handful of titles continues to baffle.

A.M.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I'm really bummed. I grew up loving these Gidget movies and really would have loved to have bought a properly mastered OAR set.

Oh well...

:thumbsdown:

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
someone should call Columbias attention to the terrible reviews this release is starting to get (and hopefully more will chime in soon) on Amazon.

only 3 of the 7 reviews for the disc mention the MAR, but if more people aired their grievences up there, at a broad based retailer, i think that has a better shot of being seen by the people it should.
who otherwise seem to avoid forums like this.

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
Apologies for not seeing that someone had already posted about having received an early copy.

But isn't it strange that the other two Columbia releases, They Came to Cordura and Lilith, which are much more obscure, get proper and loving treatment? That's what I don't get; they do a marvelous job on most of what I get, and then there are these strange decisions on a handful of titles - there is no conceivable rationale for doing Gidget this way (the original film) when they do an anamorphic and full frame release for They Came to Cordura. I know I read in some other thread that the woman from Columbia was worried that consumers might be confused by a flipper but that doesn't wash when they do them on certain releases.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
This is disgusting news. Sony seems bound and determined to destroy the integrity of their films. It just infuriates me!!!!

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
so, anyone have any opinions on the other two Sandra Dee movies released 8/3-That Funny Feeling and If A Man Answers?

the only info i can find is from the Maltin guide which lists them both as mediocre.
one is trite the other is pap...can't remember which is which though :)

but at least they both appear to be OAR- whcih unfortunately trumps Gidget.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks