What's new

Gidget - Full Screen Only?? (1 Viewer)

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit
What idiots they are at Sony....

Do they not realize the VERY core audience for this set would demand OAR? Do they really think this is for J6P at Wal-Mart?

This is the most moronic decision they've made since they decided to colorize the Stooges :angry:

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
This is friggin' outrageous! What a bunch of boneheads.

At least give us a choice, for heaven's sake.

Anyone think there will actually be two versions when it comes down to street date (one FS and one WS)?

If this is indeed the only version, we should get a couple hundred members to buy it and return it unopened, because it's the 'wrong version for me'.

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
This is friggin' outrageous! What a bunch of boneheads.

At least give us a choice, for heaven's sake.

Anyone think there will actually be two versions when it comes down to street date (one FS and one WS)?

If this is indeed the only version, we should get a couple hundred members to buy it and return it unopened, because it's the 'wrong version for me'.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

CTHE has info and press-site assets for only one release of Gidget. There is just one UPC at the site for the title, and it is the one pictured on the back cover.

This is par for the course for "family" titles from CTHE--same as The Trouble With Angels and Annie, for example.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

CTHE has info and press-site assets for only one release of Gidget. There is just one UPC at the site for the title, and it is the one pictured on the back cover.

This is par for the course for "family" titles from CTHE--same as The Trouble With Angels and Annie, for example.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
oh well.
guess i shouldn't get worked up.

after all i have i have to look on the bright side-

that's $25 more i can put towards Paramount or Warner titles (or any of those studios that actually, you know, 'get it')

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
oh well.
guess i shouldn't get worked up.

after all i have i have to look on the bright side-

that's $25 more i can put towards Paramount or Warner titles (or any of those studios that actually, you know, 'get it')

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I won't buy any Sony electronics until they fire the people currently running their video department. How am I supposed to watch these on a Sony 16x9 TV?? Oh well, I've got a still-sealed CED videodisc of "Gidget" I still need to watch :)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I won't buy any Sony electronics until they fire the people currently running their video department. How am I supposed to watch these on a Sony 16x9 TV?? Oh well, I've got a still-sealed CED videodisc of "Gidget" I still need to watch :)

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
It's a shame that Columbia Tristar can't get a DVD's presentation right these days. They have issued quite a few DVD's lately that have had incorrect aspect ratio's. It would suck if this transfer is indeed marred.

Then again, something about this release doesn't smell right. CT's own web site states that Gidget will be remastered in High Definition. That sounds like they are spending a lot of money on the title, so why would they offer it only in Full Screen?

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
It's a shame that Columbia Tristar can't get a DVD's presentation right these days. They have issued quite a few DVD's lately that have had incorrect aspect ratio's. It would suck if this transfer is indeed marred.

Then again, something about this release doesn't smell right. CT's own web site states that Gidget will be remastered in High Definition. That sounds like they are spending a lot of money on the title, so why would they offer it only in Full Screen?

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

That's just studio-speak. Virtually every DVD that CTHE releases says it has been "remastered in high definition." The Trouble With Angels and Annie SE also carried that claim. It doesn't really mean anything as far as OAR is concerned.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

That's just studio-speak. Virtually every DVD that CTHE releases says it has been "remastered in high definition." The Trouble With Angels and Annie SE also carried that claim. It doesn't really mean anything as far as OAR is concerned.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Its just unbelievable that GIDGET a widescreen 2.35.1 is going to be released Fullscreen only!!!!!!!!!! Truly idiots at SONY!!
I'm sure that there are many adults that have fond memeries of the film that will now be ruined. I saw it on TCM letterboxed and it looked great. Can't someone get a petition going?

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Its just unbelievable that GIDGET a widescreen 2.35.1 is going to be released Fullscreen only!!!!!!!!!! Truly idiots at SONY!!
I'm sure that there are many adults that have fond memeries of the film that will now be ruined. I saw it on TCM letterboxed and it looked great. Can't someone get a petition going?

Calm down everyone….read the notice from the Sony website:

Gidget - The Complete Collection (2 discs) - DVD

Format: DVD
Running Time: 95 Min.
Rated NR

SYNOPSIS

Before Blue Crush, Big Wednesday and Beach Party there was GIDGET, Hollywood's original ode to the Southern California beach scene. And here in this long-awaited DVD collection is the hit film that started an entire genre- presented in its original CinemaScope aspect ratio for the first time in 45 years - plus its two engaging sequels; GIDGET GOES TO ROME and GIDGET GOES HAWAIIN. A winning combination of humor, romance and music, the comic misadventures of Gidget and Moondoggie also inspired two popular television series as well as setting the screen standard for every teenage surf-sand-and-song saga that followed.

DVD FEATURES
• Full Screen Presentation• Languages: English• Remastered in High Definition• 2-Disc Set!

About the Film
• Stars: Sandra Dee, Cindy Carol, Deborah Walley, James Darren• Director: Paul Wendkos• Producer: Lewis J. Rachmil, Jerry Bresler• Writer: Gabrielle Upton, Ruth Brooks• Genre: Comedy• CC: Yes• Color/B&W: Color

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks