What's new

Ghostbusters Special Edition (Merged)? (1 Viewer)

Scott Ware

Stunt Coordinator

Nope. There are several deleated scenes that are on the LD that are not on the DVD. In addition to that, there are even more deleated scenes that are not on either the DVD or the LD. Several shots of the some of the deleated scenes that are not on either release can be seen in the first musical montage. Off the top of my head, I know that the dream ghost scene, the china town scene, and the shot of the dead cabbie (during the second musical montage) were all scenes that were cut from the film.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
He's just referring to the montage in the film after the Sedgewick Hotel scene with the newspapers and magazines and the song "Ghostbusters" is played.

Scott Ware

Stunt Coordinator

Sorry, I should have been more clear about that. Like Derek said, it's the scene after they catch slimer where we see the Ghostbusters going around New York while magazine covers are displayed on screen. The song "Ghostbusters" is playing during it. The second montage is when the containment grid is shut down and the ghosts are seen terrorizing the city. The song "Magic" is playing in the second montage.

James.G

Grip
In the new issue of Premiere Magazine, it mentions that a 20th Aniversary edition of Ghostbusters will be available in October from Columbia Home Video. As much as I hate double dipping, I would gladly do so on this title. Hope the new features, if any, are substantial and does not follow the trend of useless vaporware extras. :)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I REALLY hope they managed to get the 4 GB's for a new VISUAL commentary, and include the original Visual commentary as well.. I'd be double dipping on that alone..

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
If they manage to include ALL the deleted scenes and new interviews with Bill Murray and the rest of the cast, I could see double-dipping on this one.

Wishful thinking on my part but you'd think Columbia would use this opportunity to re-release GBII (not "2" as indicated on the package) as a SE.

Scott Ware

Stunt Coordinator

I don't think that'll be the case (at least I hope it won't be). If all that they're going to do is add the words "20th Aniversary Edition" to it, then they don't really have to wait until October to do it.

I really hope that this isn't just some repackage of the previous edition. While I think the extras are fine, I think that the movie could use a new transfer.

I have a quick question - how reliable is Premire magazine when it comes to DVD news? I don't want to get too excited over the idea of a 20th Aniversary DVD only to find out that it was just a rumor.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
The extras may not be as wide-ranging as some would like, but I'm perfectly happy with the extras on the Ghostbusters DVD. What would make me gladly buy Ghostbusters again would be a better transfer, as the current one is incredibly soft. I'm grateful to own this movie in it's original ratio (it really is like watching a different film after years of viewing an atrocious pan and scan VHS version) but there is a chronic lack of detail in the image that is a real let-down. I even bought the R2 version (a '15th Anniversary Edition') to see if the PAL transfer would suffer from less filtering. There is a definite improvement but it's still pretty soft, and as the R2 has less extras than the R1 edition I'm keeping both versions. The hope I've been clinging on to is that Columbia will release a Superbit edition at some point - if Labyrinth can get one, then why not Ghostbusters?

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder

Well you just might be in luck. They're releasing Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II in Superbit. However, as of right now it's only in R2 Japan on July 28th.

Well, here's hoping to an R1 release soon. But I've been hoping for Last Action Hero R1 Superbit forever and it hasn't happened yet.

BarryS

Second Unit
I would consider buying a new super-duper ultimate edition of Ghostbusters, since it's one of my favorite movies of all time, but it would have to be a big improvement over the current DVD which is pretty damn good. I don't really see how they could improve on it too much.

Very, very true. Seeing Ghostbusters in its original Panavision format was a true revelation for me as well.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
YES!! I've secretly been hoping for a Ghostbusters 2 Superbit as well (the R1 transfer of this movie also leaves a lot to be desired) and it looks as if my hopes are gonna be fulfilled! But as Ghostbusters is a Columbia property in both the States and Europe, I may just wait for these Superbits to appear closer to home as they'll be a lot cheaper. I can only hold out for a certain amount of time though...

Travis W.

Second Unit
Has anyone heard any rumors lately about a new DVD. The 1999 edition has been difficult to find in stores lately.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
ya know-the art of transfering/compression has come a long way since 1999-now that the current SE is 5 years old, I think a digital restoration, or at least a state-of-the-art remaster would be a good idea...along with the added extras-c'mon Sony, heres a chance for a double dip-dont let it pass you by!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks