What's new

Ghostbusters (2016) (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
That's like saying "I'll never understand how there can be so much excitement generated for a movie based only on trailers". Trailers are used to sell an upcoming film, and they're either successful at that or they fail to work, as was the case with Ghostbusters.
If I watch a trailer and it leaves me without any desire to watch the film, yeah the trailer failed with me. That's the worst any trailer leaves me feeling. Others were far more negative about the film. Lots of people ended up hating a film they had never seen. That's what I don't get.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Just like people end up loving a film they've never seen, based on the trailers? ;) Both happen all of the time but yeah, the negative reaction to Ghostbusters (and Batman v Superman) was pretty widespread. In the case of Ghostbusters I think that most of it was generated by A) The trailers were pretty much horrible, and B) It was a "reboot" of a beloved classic film that many people felt was a completely unnecessary money grab.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Just like people end up loving a film they've never seen, based on the trailers? ;) Both happen all of the time but yeah, the negative reaction to Ghostbusters (and Batman v Superman) was pretty widespread. In the case of Ghostbusters I think that most of it was generated by A) The trailers were pretty much horrible, and B) It was a "reboot" of a beloved classic film that many people felt was a completely unnecessary money grab.
Don't know about others, but I've never loved a film over the trailers. I've thought "I want to see this" based on a trailer but that's it. Other beloved movies have been remade with out generating this much negativity before a single ticket buyer has seen the movie. At least part of the negativity is based on the 4 principal characters being cast as female.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
IMO the all-female cast wasn't as big a factor as it's being made out to be, but that has been discussed to death already.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Serves me right not reading the second-to-last page.

Great minds think alike! :D

Last edited:

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

She speaks volumes, not only about Ghostbusters, but all the bad reboots, and remakes everywhere.
Way to go!

I appreciated her comment about movies being art vs. entertainment. Most don't see movies as "art" per se (especially something like the movie in question), but the point about it being the most common storytelling / art / media form people are exposed to worldwide lends itself to taking it more seriously than most do (e.g the folks who say, "it's just a movie!").

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm not a big user of social media so I was unaware of Sony trying to use all the negativity in their favor.

Me neither. But I guess it was Sony's only option to put some positive spin about it.
I wanted to be one of those people to say it wasn't bad at all. I hated it, so that isn't going to happen. It is over and done with now. and like all the bad movies I have seen(Megaforce, Howard The Duck, Xanadu etc.) I have already forgotten most of it. Easy to do when you don't connect with the characters, story, and SFX.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Me neither. But I guess it was Sony's only option to put some positive spin about it.
I wanted to be one of those people to say it wasn't bad at all. I hated it, so that isn't going to happen. It is over and done with now. and like all the bad movies I have seen(Megaforce, Howard The Duck, Xanadu etc.) I have already forgotten most of it. Easy to do when you don't connect with the characters, story, and SFX.

Dude, Megaforce ALWAYS stays with you!

tumblr_nirfmbT3UI1qedb29o2_r1_500.gif

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Saw it today on a smallish Imax screen.

The sound was great.
The 3D was great.

Tons of stuff coming out of the borders of the image into the black bars on top and bottom.

The f/x of the ghosts look amazing.

The movie was good not great and not awful either.

Only thing about the cast that bugged me was McKinnon was trying too hard to be quirky.
The cameos were ok except for Murray.
That one took me right out of the movie.

Also it was moving along at a good pace until they
Went to the mayor.
It stopped dead in its tracks during that scene.

Anyway I laughed enough.
I did like the Ed Jr joke.

3.5/5

Oh one more thing.

I loved what they used as the big bad. That was a good idea.

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Saw it yesterday. It was good, not great, but found the 3D to be a real visual treat. I haven't seen this much agressive 3D in a modern Hollywood movie in a long time.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Saw this the other day, came in very skeptical because I love the OG, saw absolutely zero need for a reboot/remake, and generally find McCarthy annoying as all get-out.

But was pleasantly surprised. The story skipped along nicely, the female comics were pretty funny without being garishly over the top, the SFX were excellent in 3D, and long before it wore out its welcome, it ended. The Thor guy was effective as the nerd-hottie, and I was strangely attracted to the woman who lost tenure because she became a ghostbuster.

And the end credits are well-worth sitting through all the way to the end. I enjoyed it, more fun than any of the big summer movies released since CACW, IMHO.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I finally saw this today. I liked it. It wasn't great; it's not a classic - no one is going to confuse it with the 1984 original.

The new cast is very good. I thought they were funny, and they seemed dedicated, trying their best to make even the smallest jokes work (which they didn't always). Hemsworth was good too; nice to see a fun side of him. The photography was very nice, although despite some lovely shots of New York (I know it was filmed in Boston), I was disappointed New York wasn't more of a "character" like it was in the original. The visual effects were excellent, and distinctive enough from the original. (The main ghost villain at the end reminded me very much of Oogie Boogie from The Nightmare Before Christmas.)

If the movie had one major failing, it was the script. The humor should have been sharper, more sophisticated. Nevertheless, the director and cast did their best with what they had, and I found it to be a very enjoyable movie - more so than Ghostbusters II, which was as disappointing a sequel as they come.

I hope they get a chance to make an even better movie next time. (The box office was down more than 50% this weekend, so who knows.)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if Sony still have plans for that sequel;)

I do feel bad for Paul Feig, and the cast of G16. I loved 'Other Space' and it being a free to watch Yahoo
series, it still didn't generate enough interest for a planned season 2. 'Freaks, and Geeks' was brilliant, and that got the axe afer only the first season.
I hope Paul Feig's next project is a great success.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Well, look at that - 5th place on it's second Friday:

original.jpg
As expected.

From box office guru.

The much-talked-about reboot Ghostbusters fell 53% in its second weekend and grossed an estimated $21.6M. That was a normal decline for a sci-fi summer pic in its sophomore frame with another new sci-fi franchise flick opening against it. Sony has banked $86.9M to date and looks to end in the $140M range. Given the $144M production cost plus the marketing push, a healthy run internationally is what the studio hopes for.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Final numbers sink it to fifth place overall for the weekend, about $21 million even, behind the debuts of lights out (#3, $21.7 mil) and Ice Age 5 (#4, $21.4 mil).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks