What's new

Ghostbusters (2016) (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
BTW, I guess all the "G84" actors play different characters, but it also seemed possible that they played the same characters with different identities - ie, they all tried to put their ghostbusting days behind them and seek anonymity.

This remains unclear. The Annie Potts character sure "feels like" Janine, and the Aykroyd character sure seemed knowledgeable about ghosts.

Sorry if others already discussed this in the thread - I've avoided it for the last week to miss "spoilers"...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, the climax works pretty well and I think that helped me be more satisfied with the movie than I would have been based on the first 3/4 of it.

I really thought the movie was fairly consistent. It never quite becomes great, but I think it's solidly "pretty good" from start to finish.

I'd be hard-pressed to cite any moments that I think flop - it never produces the great laughs of the original but it stays on an even enough keel...

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I thought Wiig was terribly miscast in The Martian.
Hmmm. I thought she was fine.

My wife and I saw GB yesterday in 3D at our iMax. If you're going to see the movie, see it in 3D at an iMax. I don't recall a recent Hollywood production using 3D so well and being so willing to poke the audience in the eye. :3dglasses: For 3D it is highly recommended.

The two of us wanted to like this movie, but something not funny happened on their way to the movie forum. They forgot to bring the funny. There was hardly a chuckle to be found. It just never worked for us. Nothing was ever funny or frightening. The villain was poorly cast. He didn't bring any evil to his role. He just seemed like the poor schlub of a person that everyone thought he was.

The only cameo I found interesting was Ackroyd's. I found all four cameo's brought the movie to a momentary halt, they didn't seem organic to the movie. Remember Costner's Robinhood from a ways back. When Sean Connery showed up as King Richard, now that was a cameo.

Reactions to movies are subjective, so your mileage may vary. We wanted to like this movie but were disappointed.

Having written all that, I hope they make a sequel with the same cast, they might remember to bring the funny the second time around.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Clarification. I didn't think Wiig was terrible in The Martian. Just terribly MISCAST.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I thought she stuck out as well, and not in a good way. A minor nitpick at best though. ;)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Clarification. I didn't think Wiig was terrible in The Martian. Just terribly MISCAST.

I just didn't really think the movie gave her much to do other than look concerned. She didn't do enough to justify being 3rd billed in the cast.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Clarification. I don't think she was miscast. I thought she was fine for what the movie asked of her. Let's face it, credits don't always represent the actor's importance to the movie. 3rd billing seems a bit high for that part.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Clarification. I don't think she was miscast. I thought she was fine for what the movie asked of her. Let's face it, credits don't always represent the actor's importance to the movie. 3rd billing seems a bit high for that part.

Exactly. More likely it means she has an agent that is a savvy negotiator.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Don't forget that Mark Hamill was billed 2nd for The Force Awakens and he had no lines.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
That's not really a valid comparison. Hamill is a legendary part of the Star Wars universe. Kristin Wiig, for all of her ability, just doesn't carry anything LIKE the same gravitas and has no relationship with The Martian at all other than a paycheck. I like her a lot, but she was very out of place in Scott's film for me.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
That's not really a valid comparison. Hamill is a legendary part of the Star Wars universe. Kristin Wiig, for all of her ability, just doesn't carry anything LIKE the same gravitas and has no relationship with The Martian at all other than a paycheck. I like her a lot, but she was very out of place in Scott's film for me.

If she was billed past Jeff Daniels and Sean Bean (at least) I'd have no complaint. But I think even the pretty CAPCOM girl had a bigger part than Wiig.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

She speaks volumes, not only about Ghostbusters, but all the bad reboots, and remakes everywhere.
Way to go!

Just watched this. Her reaction to the movie almost duplicates mine. She's more opposed to remakes than I am, but I found her quite reasonable in her opinions. I'm not a big user of social media so I was unaware of Sony trying to use all the negativity in their favor.

One thing I will never get is how can there such negativity towards a movie based only on trailers?

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
One thing I will never get is how can there such negativity towards a movie based only on trailers?

That's like saying "I'll never understand how there can be so much excitement generated for a movie based only on trailers". Trailers are used to sell an upcoming film, and they're either successful at that or they fail to work, as was the case with Ghostbusters.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks