What's new

Ghost in the Shell 2 on December 28th! (1 Viewer)

Kain_C

Screenwriter

Yeah, I just saw the first 4 eps and they are good. I don't quite rate any of them near to the 1st GITS movie but on their own they're entertaining.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
I'm hoping Andy gets something from his contact inside Go Fish because actually talking to someone is easier when trying to explain a situation.

A letter to DreamWorks might work but I don't know who to address it to. They might just have a clerical staffer read it and dump it.

Go Fish Pictures
c/o DreamWorks Home Entertainment
attn: ????
1000 Flower St
Glendale CA 91201

And I don't even know if Go Fish is at the same address as DreamWorks.

I e-mailed back clarifying the situation (in very simple terms) hopefully getting through to them. I would suggest you do, too. Instead of having "two" tracks like they say, request "three" separate tracks.

Just wondering: Does Go Fish's Millenium Actress have the same subtitle/captioning issue?

Matt_M

Stunt Coordinator
No, Keith
The subtitles on the Millenium Actress DVD are regular english subtitles and not those for the hearing impaired.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
Thanks, Matt. So maybe we can tell Go Fish to go look at MA and that's how the GitS2 disc should be.

Does MA also have Closed Captions separate from the regular subtitles? The back cover says "Captions & Subtitles." (However, the back of GitS2 says the same thing.) If not, then that disc has the opposite problem.

Matt_M

Stunt Coordinator
The only 2 options on the Millenium Actress DVD are regular English and French subtitles.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Yeah, Millenium Actress is reversed, which is not exactly the right way to do it either. I can't imagine it being a space issue; a subtitle track doesn't exactly take up a lot of disc space.

Keith--I have written them back, but I'm not sure what good it will do.

Something similar to this happened when I e-mailed Universal about the exclusion of the TV version of the Buck Rogers pilot in the box set of the "complete" series. I was very clear in stating that I thought it would have been better had both the theatrical and TV versions been included, especially since there was extra room on the last disc. They sent me a response telling me how to receive a chapter insert for the set. :confused:

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
The only thing we can do is wait to hear what Andy's contact will say.

Universal and DreamWorks are very consumer unfriendly when it comes to responses. Universal has a Contact page but what good is it if their responses don't address the concern?

Ed Speir IV

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry guys, but I just got an e-mail from AsianDVD where I ordered the R3 version. It advised that their website was incorrect - English subtitles ARE NOT included on the R3 release.

They have cancelled my order per my request. Sorry to get anyone's hopes up....

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
I have to say, the cover for this disc is about as stinky as they come. It doesn't retain any feel of the film whatsoever.

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
Someone on the DVDTalk cover/insert board made a very nice custom cover using the original poster art.

Ed--that's a real shame. At least you got your order cancelled.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
After replying to their second e-mail, I received this response:

Thank you for your most recent e-mail. We appreciate your input and will forward your suggestions and comments to the applicable departments.

Sincerely,

Universal Studios Home Entertainment

So that's it. Hopefully whoever gets this understands it. They don't say anything about another response so it's just wait.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Thought I'd bump this back. Has anyone heard anything new? I really, really want to buy this movie, but I'm not going to unless they get this fixed.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
Nothing back from Universal/DreamWorks. I hope that, even if they don't do anything, they have the courtesy to tell us instead of just not responding.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
So what should I do? Am I waiting to order my Ghost in the Shell 1/2 DVDs or am I waiting for something from Universal? The problem is that the English Subs also have info for the hearing imparied?

Has anyone checked out the new GIHS 1 SE disc that was supposed to street recently?

-dave :)

Eric F

Screenwriter
According to this IGN Review someone at Go Fish acknowlegdes it's a mastering error.
So there you have it. Now we'll have to see if they do anything about it. If not I'll save my money.

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
Bryant, Eric's referring to GitS 2, not the SE of the first movie.
Dreamworks/GoFish put out GitS 2, Manga Entertainment is putting out the GitS:SE.

Bryant Trew

Second Unit
I know. I have Innocence with the crappy subtitles, and I refuse to double dip on GitS if they don't fix Innocence.

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
Seems kind of odd to boycott Manga when your problem is with Dreamworks, that's all. Especially when Manga's SE seems error-free.

Bryant Trew

Second Unit
Not really. I'm so pissed about this that I'll apply pressure wherever I can. If the creators of GitS 1/2 want to sell me that disc, then they can consider a re-release of Innocence, or demand that Dreamworks do a re-release. They're not getting my money for a third time - not like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks