What's new

Ghibli's next: Gedo Senki (Tales of Earthsea) (1 Viewer)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
There was a rumor a couple months ago that Miyazaki's next film would be an adaptation of Ursula K. Le Guin's "Earthsea" novels. Looks like it was mostly right. Hayao's son, Goro is directing this effort. Ghibli's site has been updated with an image, which is also the first poster.

www.ghibli.jp

Release date is July 2006 in Japan. Knowing the way they release the films in the states, US release would probably be an additional year.

Jason

Patrick H.

Second Unit
Jason, I'll bite. Le Guin's initial trilogy of novels (Wizard of Earthsea, Tombs of Atuan, Farthest Shore) are some of THE finest fantasy works ever written...right up there with Tolkien and C.S. Lewis, IMO. To have the finest animation studio in the world tackle this universe is cause for extreme excitement. Not only because of their skill, but because these tales seem so in-line with their specific brand of storytelling. Can't wait to see this.

Mark Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
Oooh, I'm in. I've never read the novels, never even heard of them, but the poster looks good and Ghibli hasn't let me down yet.

Well actually, I missed Howl's Moving Castle in theaters and the long wait for the DVD is killing me.

Maybe in the time it takes for us in the U.S. to see this, I can read the books.

Any more details on this? Will it be a trilogy of films?

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Ghibli doesn't really do series of films, so I expect that this will be a standalone. Based on previous history (Kiki's Delivery Service, Howl's Moving Castle), I expect that it will be a loose adaptation.

Whatever it is, it is bound to be interesting.

Jason

Fredrik Olsson

Auditioning
This sounds great and it will also be very interesting to se something directed by Hayao Miyazaki’s son Goro Miyazaki.
I can’t remember hearing about anything directed by him before. Does anyone know if this is his debut as a director?

Stephen McM

Auditioning
Hello everybody from the new boy,
Well I remember The Earthsea trilogy from my childhood (some thirty odd years back), in fact I understand the first book was published the year I was born.
This has always been a very special thing for me and I am reasonably confident that Studio Ghibli will do a better job than the recent live action effort, I hope it can capture the deep and eloquent beauty of the Novels.
And by the way - you may complain about release dates in US but I live in the UK so I don't expect it till much later - unless the local Anime society can work their usual magic:)
Stephen McM

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
http://www.ghibli.jp/26trailer/ged2_lg.html
^trailer.

i think the song's haunting. if the rest of the film's sountrack is any indication, i hope to get my hands on it. they're scheduled to release the soundtrack in SACD multichannel in Japan. for some reason, multichannel has caught on over in the far east more than west.

anyway, check out the trailer =^).

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
http://nausicaa.net/
^that's a good site for monitoring ghibli-related matters. according to the site and GoroM's Japanese blog, the film is done and set for Japanese release of 7/29. i wanna' get my hands on it because the trailer is soOoooooo haunting.

meanwhile, i'm uploading a fully translated (text) version of their teaser trailer so all of you can enjoy it. if you see the trailer on the Japanese website, it's clunky and unenjoyable because of the overseas bandwidth limitations and if you dunno Japanese you're outta' luck. i'll post the link to the trailer once i finish uploadin'.

tyler payne

Second Unit
Real Name
tyler payne
Thanx for that. I only hope that I don't have to wait too long to see this movie in some way, shape or form. Until that time I think that I may have to revisit my Earthsea trilogy. Have not read them in about 10 years, but one of the best stories I have ever read.

Again thanx for the trailer, and please keep us informed if you hear anything else as far as a US release.

tyler payne

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
While the trailer didn't grab me cinematically, I'm looking forward to another Ghibli film. A friend introduce me to anime back in grad school and as a long-time Disney animation fan, I've come to enjoy the Ghibli movies. I've even introduced my fiance to them, such that she put Howl's Moving Castle on our registry (it was a good date movie for us).

Hopefully it will reach the States sooner than next summer.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
like everyone says, it'll probably be 1+year before we see it here. it was the same with Howl. Released in november of 04 in Japan, but june of 05 here in the US. so i'm expecting Earthsea to be Feb-March in the US. subtitled of course =^).

Dave, you should check out the rest of Miyazki's films:
Nausicca
Totorro (2 disc SE, not the 1st Fox edition)
Castle in the Sky
Porco Rosso
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Howl

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Totoro is more of a kids film, but it is good. Mononoke is one of my favorites and Nausicaa is a classic (amazing that it was done in 87!). Spirited Away is also a must see from Ghibli. On the other end of their spectrum, Grave of the Fireflies is also an excellent film.

Thanks for the trailer on this one. Can't wait to see it!

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i think totorro is very much an adult-themed film, much like all of Ghibli's films, but through the eyes of youth. i guess that's when the sense are most heightened.

re: nausicaa, i think that's '84.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sorry 84 :) Most of his films are from children's perspective, but Totoro was different than the majority of the others in that it had an even younger point of view. IMO, it had the least involved story of any of them, and relied mostly on the relationship of the two girls and how they saw the world to lend it it's charm.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
but it dealt with the very real issue of loss. that's why the focus was on the children. that makes the loss more tragic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks