What's new

gettin' into hi-res. any "do's & don'ts"??? (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi all -

just picked up my pioneer 563a combo-player and am looking forward to jumpin' in. i've already searched all the "recommend me..." threads, so i think i'm okay there.

what i was wondering is ... what have you learned from the whole hi-res thing? are there any caveats or things you would tell someone who is just starting out? any advice from seasoned hi-res gurus? ;)

thx!

ted

ps: (and you know i had to do this...) if you could recommend only one hi-res title, which one would it be? :)

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Well, of the titles I own, the absolute best sound quality is Big Phat Band on Silverline DVD-A. There are two titles; Swinging for the Fences and XXL. XXL may be a tad better, but I like the music on SftF better. Note that these are contemporary Big Band titles.

Now, these are not really my favorite type of music, but the sonics are unassailable.

Things to watch out for? Well, if you have a full 5.1 system, getting bass management right, and channels balanced is critical. If you did your research, you know that the 563 has some issues with BM (the DVD-A crossover at 200 hz is way to high).

But, if your new to this, it may or may not be a big deal. If it is a big deal, then the solution is an Outlaw ICBM bass management box.

Now, as for different types of music, there is a lots of classic rock stuff thats great. Eagles, Pink Floyd, ELP, Yes, Aerosmith......they all take on new life in hi-rez MC.

As for newer rock Steely Dan, Beck, Bowie all have newer releases that are stunning in 5.1 hi-rez.

BGL

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
My advice to anyone buying into a new format...

don't get caught up in purchasing a title simply because it's a good showcase for the format.
Purchase the music you like (or you think you'll like), otherwise you'll get bored quickly.

Don't hold off on purchasing a CD that you want in the hopes that a hi-rez version will be available later.
When you consider the amount of titles available in hi-rez, the odds are against it anyways.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Do:
- Match all your speakers as best as possible.
- Burn CD-Rs of the hybrid layers for the car. Some of these discs are expensive and they could get marks and scratches on the road.
- Crank the volume

Don't:
-

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Do:

- check here and High Fidelity Review.com for the latest hi-rez news.
- look for imports because there're titles available overseas that aren't available here in the States.
- buy the disc for the music itself.

Don't:

- forget to pay your credit card bills.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
thx guys ... i like that website. seems like they know their stuff.

"vinyl" .... why i oughta.... :laugh:

also, good point about buying stuff i like ... that's a good way to approach this.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

What else, DSotM :D

2nd: Queen's A Night At The Opera

If you want 80s fluffy pop, Spandau's True. Not MC, but a damn sight better than the plain-vanilla old redbook; I don't have the new re-mastered release, so can't comment how it compares, but I'd assume the hybrid redbook layer is the same as that so you might as well get the SACD (although the CD has some bonus material).

Jeffrey Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
If you're only going to buy one disc, go with The Flaming Lips: Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots (DVD-A). Not only is it great, inventive music, but the surround mix is amazing.

I played it for a few friends the other night, and they were ready to go out and buy it the next day.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

I completely agree, Marc & others!

Also, beware of upgraditis. After SACD made me fall in love again w/ music, I've just spent (well, haven't gotten the bill yet!) $2415.00 on new speakers, and I'm now eyeing a better amp.

The most important "don't" is:

Don't overanalyze the sonics of individual SACDs vs. redbooks. Instead, "do":

Sit back, listen, and enjoy. Over time you'll find that SACD is generally less fatiguing and more lovable!

Doug

AricB

Second Unit
I dont necessarily agree with that logic. I had read so many great reviews of Steely Dan's discs, that I picked some up and liked them, same for GBYBR and Steve Stevens Flamenco a go-go, and Porcupine Tree(who i had never heard of). Dont believe me, look through my cd collection at the link below. See if my music style, generally fits those titles. On the other hand I have the stp, metallica, and the doors, and dont ever listen to them.

Multichannel is a new experience, so why not expand your horizons at the same time?

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

David Bowie Heathen is by far my most enjoyable SACD.

The Police Greatest Hits is by far my most dissapointing SACD...the surrounds are so weak and boring I'm not even convinced my player is playing the 5.1 (even though that indicator lights up).

AricB

Second Unit
I'm with you, 100%, I love Heathen. One of my favorites in terms of surround mix and music. I'm really hoping they work backwards through his catalog, hours and earthling and even outside would sound good.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Ted, I think your question got answered. 2-channel, oui? Oh, some DVD-A's aren't M/C either, like the new Neil Young ones. I think you should avoid Silverline DVD-A's mostly. A few are heralded like the Big Phat Band, but the ones I've bought aren't so hot. You ought to look at some of the various artist compilations on SACD. Buy a really good DSD recorded SACD to use as a reference...like, say, one of the two Spyra Gyro albums.

Don't get caught up in channel anxiety!;) :)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
thx rachel. i guess i learned my lesson quickly. ;) "passion" is one of my all-time fave soundtracks so i was really hopin' to hear it in multi-ch.

that woulda been awesome!

oh well, c'est la vie ... no biggie really. i just wanted to make sure i wasn't doing something wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks