Get your Windows 2000/XP patched up

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Kevin_W, Aug 11, 2003.

1. Kevin_W

Kevin_W Second Unit

I know this would be better categorized under the Computers Area, but seems important enough that an exception be made.

The first major worm utilizing the RPC hole Microsoft brought to light on July 16th has reared up today infecting thousands of PC's already and I am sure it's going to get worse by tomorrow and thereafter. If you haven't been affected yet, please patch up before you do get hit. Broadband users especially affected do to the ease of downloading and propagating the worm.

Here's the Microsoft info and links to the proper patches based on your OS:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...n/MS03-026.asp

Kevin

2. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

What's RPC? Sounds awfully familiar. I just got home, and within 5 minutes, I got two strange error messages with a 60 secs countdown to shutdown (it actually restarts). And yes, Unless I am being paranoid, I believe there was something about RPC in that message. I must point out that free trial of antivirus expired a couple of days ago.

It got me worried enough to start a thread in the PC area inquiring about protection for my box.

Yikes. Are we all going to die?

--
    Holadem

3. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    i had the 60 second shutdown message today on 3 different computers, two at a friends house, and my moms. not mine yet though... guess ill get th patch to be safe.

4. Chris Derby

Chris Derby Second Unit

RPC is a Remote Procedure Call

Remote Procedure Call (RPC) is an interprocess communication technique to allow client and server software to communicate.

5. Doug R

Doug R Supporting Actor

6. Jerry Almeida

Jerry Almeida Second Unit

Jerry Almeida
    I got nailed by this yesterday when I got home. I'll try Doug's fix today when I get home from work.

A quick fix to get past the 60 second shut down is to go to Start>Settings>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services. Find the Remote Procedure Call (RPC), right-click and select properties. At the Recovery Tab you'll see fields for First, Second, and Subsequent Failures. Set these to take no action. That will give you time to work on the problem.

By the way, these are the steps I took for XP.

7. Kevin_W

Kevin_W Second Unit

What I did to stop the problem was load up regedit. Goto Local Machine Software Microsoft Ole. Edit the EnableDCOM and change the Y to N. Exit regedit and reboot.

That's something you can do within the 60 seconds countdown. Once you reboot, you'll not have the problem and should be able to now get on the internet and start patching the crap out of your system. Disclaimer: always be careful using regedit!

Kevin

[edit] forgot to mention that unplugging my network cable from the PC seemed to keep that countdown at bay as well.

8. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Does anyone know how the machines get infected- I can't seem to find any info in the new coverage. Is this another "virus" that spreads because people run an .exe file in an email attachment?

-Vince

9. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

Has this not been on Windows Update, the patch is date July 16th?

10. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

11. JamieD

JamieD Supporting Actor

Yeah, from what I've been told, if you're connected to the net, and have the ports open, they can hit it.

A few "folks" were shutting machines down all over Aliant's network here in St. John's.

12. chris_everett

chris_everett Second Unit

A machine shutting down is a symptom of this worm
    1. It does not spread via e-mail
    2. Broadband users without firewalls are extremely vulnerable! If you don't have a firewall on your system, and have not installed the patch, you will probably be infected by the end of the day!
    3. As far as I can tell, it's not spreading via peer to peer file servies, just a straight connection over the internet
    4. If you have broadband i-net access, I highly recommend that you purchase a hardware firewall. These can be had for about $50 now (linksys, and others) for those with modems, I highly recommend a software firewall.

13. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

14. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

15. Colin Davidson

Colin Davidson Second Unit
    Supporter

I know MS is supposed to be the big bad giant but I would recommend turning on Automatic Updating. This will make sure that you get the critical updates downloaded automatically to your PC for installation.

In XP (and 2000 as I recall) to activate it go to Control Panel and double click on the Systems icon. Select the Automatic Updates tab and configure.

16. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

17. Tom Meyer

Tom Meyer Second Unit

holy shit ! My machine at home was nailed w/ this in the AM and kept rebooting. Didn't know what was going on so I downloaded all the latest MS patches from the windows update site. Will that fix it ? I'll also have to download the patch from Symantec. The thing is, I have a firewall (ZoneAlarm) so the only way I could probably have gotten it is thru KaZaa, though I haven't used it in a couple days.

Does it cause any real damage or is it just one of those most-likely-annoying viruses ?

18. MickeS

MickeS Producer

19. Kraig Lang

Kraig Lang Stunt Coordinator

For anyone interested, the Microsoft patch that fixes this vulnerability is MS03-026. There is also a cleanup tool on the Norton site.

It propogates by executing on your system, rebooting and then scanning for open ports/Vulnerable systems.

20. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

The virus itself is fairly benign and just clogs up the networks.

However future one's will probably be a little more nasty.