What's new

Get Duplex FS Edition now at Netflix! - Inappropriate Recommendations from Netflix (1 Viewer)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Yesterday I received an email from Netflix informing me that Duplex (WS) had a short wait, and that I should select Duplex (FS) instead. The email went on to indicate that "the only difference between the two discs is the screen format".

I'm fairly disgusted that Netflix would ENCOURAGE me, and other renters to select the MAR version of a DVD because of the shorter wait period. Shouldn't they instead purchase additional copies of the OAR version if they find that MAR is sitting on their distribution center shelves?

I've fired off a complaint email to them. I found it offensive that they'd recommend the lesser version, and particularly that they would be so dismissive of the differences between the versions.

Has anyone else had the same or similar experiences?

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
I thought I saw at a rental store that Duplex had both version on the disc.

I thought it was odd that when I searched it on Netflix, they showed both versions listed.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Since when did Netflix start carrying fullscreen versions? They never did in the past. If given a choice, they only carried the widescreen version.

I just did a quick check, and several titles that I looked up that were released both ways, Netflix only has the widescreen version.

Interesting, although it looks to be just an isolated incident.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I think you're getting too worked up about nothing. I don't see their message as "dismissive" - they simply pointed out that the AR was the only difference. (Which is wrong, though - the WS disc has a few extras not on the FS one.)

I see their e-mail as an attempt to help a customer get the movie he wants to see as quickly as possible. I don't see anything to upset or offend here...

Rick Guynn

Second Unit

It is also an attempt to make maximum use of their inventory, which is a smart thing to do. I think its silly to get worked up about something like this. I'm willing to bet that if the movie had been released as seperate disks instead of within the two-disk set, they woudl not even carry the FS version.

RG

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well I'm not a netflix customer, but I'm with the original poster. This is offensive. Maybe it's not anything to get too worked up over, but they should not be promoting pan & scan. Not all customers are going to be as savvy as those here, and some poor schmuck is going to take their advice and end up watching a pan & scan atrocity.

What they should have said was "most of our customers are too discerning to watch the pan & scan version, which is why it's the only one available. However, if you are one of our customers who doesn't appreciate film as art, and don't give a damn if you are only seeing 1/2 to 2/3 of the picture, then this might be the disc for you!" :) :) :)

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I have heard the same thing was done with "Finding Nemo" which was a 2-disc set with FS on one disc and WS on the other. If Netflix just sent you the FS version without asking first, I can see being mad...they just gave you an option. No problem with that from my point of view.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Netflix is just a business, there is no reason for them to actively push an OAR agenda.

Just be happy that they always stock a WS version and forget about it.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
What I'm wondering about is 2-disc sets (OAR/MAR) with unique extra features on each disc. So they split them up to increase their profits? You have to rent the OAR disc and the MAR disc to see all the extras? Do they even tell the customer that there are unique extras on "the other" disc? Seems like if you rent a film from them you should get whatever was sold in the store.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member

Netflix only ever sends 1 disc out from any set. You can order both discs if you want, but they will count as 2 selections, not one. The same holds true for TV shows and the like.

Doug_L

Stunt Coordinator
You (and George Kaplan) need to relax.

As stated before they were attempting to maximize their use of their active stock and get you your prioritized movie as soon as possible.

It's not like they didn't give you the choice. I'm actually pretty pleased they notified you and called attention to the differences to the two versions.

I've found Netflix to be very good customer service-wise, and I've been using them since before their current business model (I used to pay per rental way back in 1999). Also they've added numerous warehouses across the country which has dramitically improved the downtime between movies.

And no, I am not a Netflix employee. Just a happy customer who's dismayed to see their seemingly above-board tactics termed "offensive". This company stocks WS versions and many hard to find titles - these guys are on our side and you don't even know it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks