What's new

George Bush topples Segway (1 Viewer)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member

U.S. President George W. Bush (news - web sites) is pictured in this combo image falling off a Segway personal transporter on the front driveway of his parents' summer home June 12, 2003 in Kennebunkport, Maine. Bush arrived from Washington to spend the weekend with his father, former President George Bush, who celebrates his 79th birthday today and his mother Barbara. Bush was not injured in the fall. REUTERS/Jim Bourg
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...170/4dnhg.html

Poor president, how'd they get a picture of this?? :D

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
What is he doing with a tennis racket in one hand? Is he trying to play tennis without having to run around? :laugh:

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I think it looks like he's just hitting a serve. :)

I thought any moron was supposed to be able to use the Segway. (Hey, I HAD to say that!) :D

E

Eric Kahn

What a poor piece of publicity for Segway, now they can not say that the stupid things do not fall over

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
That Segway was not turned on.

Sorry, but anyone who has been on one can see it's obvious. Otherwise, he wouldn't have fallen. Look in the first picture. See how he's holding it at a strong angle towards himself? Segways don't do that when they're on. They stand straight up. If you try to pull it towards you like that, it will drive right over you.

Thus, when he climbed on the thing, it had no more stability than two wheels side by side on an axle and promptly fell right over.

Next time, George, spin those gyroscopes up first, mmmKay?

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
A four way match: Bush, Saddam, the Segway and the Pretzel. Who would win?

--
Holadem

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Ryan I've talked to someone who has ridden one before and he said it is on, but he's propping it with his right foot, causing it to stay still. When Bush got on it the Segway jerked backward to even out and human instinct is to lean forward. He just did it all to fast and fell down.. the machine ain't perfect.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Look in the first picture. See how he's holding it at a strong angle towards himself? Segways don't do that when they're on.
But I think everyone would agree that he isn't "on" it in the first picture. It looks like he's approaching it. The next 3 pictures are when he is riding it, which would indicate that it is "on".

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yeah, i saw a video of a guy who fell off a segway...

the guy basically was going foreward, then leaned back to go backwards, but suddenly leaned foreward again, causing it to shoot foreward and he fell off.

Mike Lenthol

Second Unit
I JUST saw Barbara on ABC news on one that had "been turned off", she almost fell too. She was riding it fine few seconds before. Either they got a bad batch or it runs in the family ;)

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
But I think everyone would agree that he isn't "on" it in the first picture. It looks like he's approaching it. The next 3 pictures are when he is riding it, which would indicate that it is "on".
What other three pictures where he is riding it? I see one where the Segway is leaning way backwards - which it wouldn't do unless it was turned off (or prevented from moving backwards with force - thanks Scott). Then I see one where he is on it, falling forward. Then two more where he isn't on it at all. When did he ride it?

And if you look closely, he didn't move much if at all on the thing. The camera was pointed toward the right to capture both GW and that lady. You can see the blue vehicle (motorcycle?) in the background, and a black window/doorway/something or another on the building in the upper left.

The next three pictures show no lady, no blue vehicle, and a bicycle parked on the left. However, look at the black square on the building. It's only moved to the right slightly. The camera has obviously panned to the left to capture GW falling off.

Also notice the position of the Segway's base (wheels) in the first and last positions relative to the building. Doesn't look like it's moved much - maybe a foot at the most.

Either the thing was turned off and just fell forward, or GW needs to be shown how to climb on one. You don't pull it towards you at an angle and prevent it's movement by force. You leave it perfectly vertical and just step on.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Like any mode of personal transportation... a bycycle, scooter, roller skates or what have you, one needs to know how to use them. Even if the Segway is on, it needs to be in balance mode. It obviously was either not in balance. After the incident, both Bushes rode the Segway without a problem. I rode a Segway last week for the first time. After the proper orientation demo it was very easy and is terrific.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
That's the first Segway I have seen since they have been released. The transportation wave of the future seems to have missed to east coast to date. ;)

J

Seth_L

Screenwriter
There's some one down the street from me in my neighborhood with one. I saw them getting on it in their driveway the other day with helmet, kneepads, elbowpads, wristguards, etc.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
I haven't seen any publicity on Segway either. It looks really intriguing in the pictures. I'd love to try one eventually, looks fun (except for the falling over part).

~j

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks