What's new

GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES on Blu-ray - thoughts? (1 Viewer)

bjwmovies

Agent
Real Name
Brian
Robert Harris said:
If it's Fox, and it's Schawn Belston's work, it will be presented perfectly
RAH
Hi Robert,
So I am guessing that since most of the other MM BD titles from FOX that have pretty much been criticized, that Shawn Belston was not involved with all the titles? Haven't seen River yet. But I do understand now about the faded dupes used for Millionaire, I looked at it again. I guess upon viewing it initially that I was happy that it never looked better for me (wasn't paying attention to the blue suits initially etc.), it really is sad that this was the best they could do and this is what we have to settle for.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by bjwmovies /t/322759/gentlemen-prefer-blondes-on-blu-ray-thoughts/60#post_3959698
Hi Robert,
So I am guessing that since most of the other MM BD titles from FOX that have pretty much been criticized, that Shawn Belston was not involved with all the titles? Haven't seen River yet. But I do understand now about the faded dupes used for Millionaire, I looked at it again. I guess upon viewing it initially that I was happy that it never looked better for me (wasn't paying attention to the blue suits initially etc.), it really is sad that this was the best they could do and this is what we have to settle for.
Certainly he or his people. And fighting an uphill battle to make them look more than acceptable. I should also make the point that these titles, AFAIK, have not been through a full restoration process.

RAH

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
My wife and I watched 'Gentlemen Prefer Blondes' last night, and that viewing made me look up this long-forgotten (and more than slightly contentious) thread.
I was quite happy with the Blu ray transfer, except that the colour shift from DVD to Blu in the famous 'Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend' number from shocking pink to a deeper colour, almost mauve, was a bit of a turn-off. It might be more accurate, but I loved that dazzling colour on the DVD.
But my wife hated it. So detailed, she thought, that it looked artificial. To her eyes, it looked as if the figures had been somehow cut out and pasted onto the background. That sounded like a description of edge enhancement to me, but I couldn't detect any. Very puzzling. But it seems as if the old DVD will be our preferred viewing mode for this title in the future, for all its imperfections.

plektret

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
This is in my top 5 most aggressively filtered titles in my bluray collection. It almost looks like a cartoon. Awful. This should be redone asap without the horrible Lowry filtering. Acceptable for DVD but not BD. They should never had released it on BD in this state.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
This is in my top 5 most aggressively filtered titles in my bluray collection. It almost looks like a cartoon. Awful. This should be redone asap without the horrible Lowry filtering. Acceptable for DVD but not BD. They should never had released it on BD in this state.
I disagree that it's acceptable for DVD. There's no reason why a DVD can't look film-like.

cinemel1

Second Unit
Real Name
Mel Matsil
I disagree that it's acceptable for DVD. There's no reason why a DVD can't look film-like.

My wife and I watched 'Gentlemen Prefer Blondes' last night, and that viewing made me look up this long-forgotten (and more than slightly contentious) thread.
I was quite happy with the Blu ray transfer, except that the colour shift from DVD to Blu in the famous 'Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend' number from shocking pink to a deeper colour, almost mauve, was a bit of a turn-off. It might be more accurate, but I loved that dazzling colour on the DVD.
But my wife hated it. So detailed, she thought, that it looked artificial. To her eyes, it looked as if the figures had been somehow cut out and pasted onto the background. That sounded like a description of edge enhancement to me, but I couldn't detect any. Very puzzling. But it seems as if the old DVD will be our preferred viewing mode for this title in the future, for all its imperfections.

I don’t know what the critics are talking about. I went downstairs after rereading this thread to see for myself. Gentlemen Prefer Blondes looks great. The colors pop. It’s clear and sharp. The color of Monroe’s gown in Diamonds number seems perfect. I saw this film when it originally played at NY’s Roxy Theatre. I was 11 years old and enthralled by both Monroe & Russell. I went out to the record store and bought the soundtrack on 2 45 rpm records.
I also checked out the blu-ray of How to Marry a Millionaire. I watched the whole Street Scene prologue to the film In some shots the tuxedos seemed black and in others a very dark blue.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 92

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks