What's new

Gentle Ben from CBS? -- Coming on October 15th (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Now Available for Preorder

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Just a reminder that this one is being released tomorrow. This was one of my all-time favorites that I haven't seen since the 1970s. Can't wait to see it again!

Cowboy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
Can anyone comment on if the episodes are uncut and remastered?

MikeGst

Auditioning
Cowboy said:
Can anyone comment on if the episodes are uncut and remastered?
It looks like they're from video masters instead of film - the quality is surprisingly poor, IMO. The episodes are just over 25 minutes, but I've only watched the first few so far.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
MikeGst said:
It looks like they're from video masters instead of film - the quality is surprisingly poor, IMO. The episodes are just over 25 minutes, but I've only watched the first few so far.
That sucks, but it's not surprising given that there probably isn't a lot of demand for this show. The video quality on Flipper Season 1 was so good that I was hoping for the same here. My order is on the way and I should have it by Friday. Still looking forward to re-visiting this childhood favorite.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I would have thought great as well since Flipper was. :(

I'll buy this to encourage more releases like this. Plus, haven't seen Ben since I was so darn small. OH! And I'm much more afraid of bears now than I was then.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Radioman970 said:
I would have thought great as well since Flipper was. :(

I'll buy this to encourage more releases like this. Plus, haven't seen Ben since I was so darn small. OH! And I'm much more afraid of bears now than I was then.
I don't think I've ever watched it BUT I love most shows of that era and I love (as do my kids) anything animal/nature related (I had them hooked on Grizzly Adams) so I imagine I'll pick it up. I'll probably wait until I can find it a bit cheaper on Amazon used, however.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I watched the first episode last night and the video quality isn't that bad, in fact in looks pretty decent for not being remastered (not nearly as good as Flipper season 1, but those prints were exceptional). What a nostalgia trip! I haven't seen this show since I was a little kid in the early 1970s, but as soon as I saw Clint Howard and Ben with the chain around his neck, I was instantly taken back to that time. I totally forgot that Rance Howard was also in this show. Great fun.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I was surprised also when Gentle Ben got green lighted for a DVD release. For me it was a pleasant surprise, as it's my favorite of the "animal" shows produced by Ivan Tors. I purchased both seasons and a big thank you to CBS for releasing them. :)

The DVD's are good, episodes are 25 minutes and appear to be uncut although I imagine the original airings had those brief "bumpers" inserted between the commercials, there are no bumpers in the episodes on the DVD's.

Another thing I noticed, after the closing titles of the episodes, a banner that says "Samuel Goldwyn Television" appears. I don't think this banner was part of the original airings, the banner looks like it's from the 1980's or 90's, so I'm wondering if syndication masters might have been used to produce the DVD's.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks