What's new

Genesis on SACD soon (1 Viewer)

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
So do I get the right vibe from the quotes that these re-masters will be encoded with DSD and then the DVD-Audio discs will be DSD to PCM conversions?
Dan,

If these are going to be remasters (which usually entails work being done on the original multi-tracks), there is no way they will be encoded in pure DSD. The tools are not there and honestly its not even possible in a true sense. The stations that claim to be pure-DSD are really just PCM-Narrow. Just ask Sony and Universal who source most of their SACD from PCM intermediates even when Analog masters exist.

Also remember most of the Genesis recordings were no doubt originally done at lower bit/sampling rate PCM then what is available today. For those reasons, I would not get too excited about any Hi-res stereo layer for these discs. The benefits provided by remastering would be as apparent on the CD layer as the Hi-res layer, and honestly the CD layer will be truthful to the original masters (no unnecessary upsampling).

DSD is fine as a delivery format and for brand new recordings, but not remastering.

J

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Mike Rutherford and Tony Banks have given the "thumbs up" to the high-rez 5.1 remix of "The Lamb". Expected release date in May, according to Nick Davis.

Next up, "Tricks of the Tail" on hi-rez.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
According to a new Tony Banks interview, the entire Genesis catalog may get the hi-rez treatment.

Here's the interview .

The hi-rez version of "The Lamb" will be available next month.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
The release of the hi-rez version of "The Lamb" may get pushed back, according to Nick Davis. This was posted today on the Genesis forum. Reason? There's a Mike + The Mechanics album being released....

And yes, it's Mike + The Mechanics + Paul Carrack. What's next? Genesis + Phil Collins/Peter Gabriel??

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
The release of the hi-rez version of "The Lamb" may get pushed back, ... Reason? There's a Mike + The Mechanics album being released....
??? Good grief, there's been such a dearth of Genesis-related material in the past decade - I think we longtime fans can handle buying the hirez "Lamb" AND a new M&M album in the same year... :frowning:

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Mike + The Mechanics is opening for Phil Collins' solo tour in Europe as well.

There's a new Tony Banks classical album released on the NAXOS label.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
A lack of "new" classic Genesis would not compel me to settle for some new solo work by one of the band members, except maybe Peter.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
No DVD-A or DualDisc? From today's MusicTAP....

Further word on Genesis' upcoming hi-res issue of The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway has it that this issue will not be a DualDisc or DVD-Audio but rather an SACD release. But TLLDoB isn't the only Genesis album that received the 5.1 rework. Word also has it that Trick of the Tail has been reshaped into 5.1. That's good news for Genesis fans. Whether you're Gabriel era fans or post Gabriel fans or even fans of everything Genesis, these upcoming releases ought to have you salivating for not only surround treatments but also spectacular sounding music. The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is expected sometime in September while Trick of the Tail should follow soon after. Now for Nursery Crymes and And Then There Were Three and Wuthering Heights and...

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
No DVD-A or DualDisc? From today's MusicTAP....

Further word on Genesis' upcoming hi-res issue of The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway has it that this issue will not be a DualDisc or DVD-Audio but rather an SACD release. But TLLDoB isn't the only Genesis album that received the 5.1 rework. Word also has it that Trick of the Tail has been reshaped into 5.1. That's good news for Genesis fans. Whether you're Gabriel era fans or post Gabriel fans or even fans of everything Genesis, these upcoming releases ought to have you salivating for not only surround treatments but also spectacular sounding music. The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is expected sometime in September while Trick of the Tail should follow soon after. Now for Nursery Crymes and And Then There Were Three and Wuthering Heights and...

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
That (Trick of the Tail) is really old news, and the Genesis camp has already said to look for a DVD-A in North America. I'm sure some DVD-A bashers would love to see WEA release a Genesis SACD, but it's not going to happen. MusicTap needs to start reporting real news.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
That (Trick of the Tail) is really old news, and the Genesis camp has already said to look for a DVD-A in North America. I'm sure some DVD-A bashers would love to see WEA release a Genesis SACD, but it's not going to happen. MusicTap needs to start reporting real news.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Well give them credit for at least getting official word that Lamb Lies Down will be on Super Audio. This is terrific news!

Mike, I would be surprised that Genesis would release one album in Super Audio and not follow through in the same format for other titles, unless of course they do both formats.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Well give them credit for at least getting official word that Lamb Lies Down will be on Super Audio. This is terrific news!

Mike, I would be surprised that Genesis would release one album in Super Audio and not follow through in the same format for other titles, unless of course they do both formats.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
They won't switch from title to title. For the time being, they'll all be SACD in Europe and DVD-A in North America. This is what their own engineer/producer has said to expect.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
They won't switch from title to title. For the time being, they'll all be SACD in Europe and DVD-A in North America. This is what their own engineer/producer has said to expect.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks