Genesis on SACD soon

Discussion in 'Music' started by Joe Casey, Jul 3, 2003.

1. Luna5

Luna5 Agent

2. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Any pro reviews of any of these discs yet?

3. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

4. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    i'll try to find it but the producer has posted on steve hoffmans board
    he said it, the box, is not limited and hmv can just order more if they choose to.

5. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
  6. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    You can order the NTSC version of the boxed set directly off the Genesis website for 92 pounds (including shipping to the US), which works out to about US$180.

Think I'll wait for HMV Japan to get 'em back in. [​IMG]

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I'm *hoping* that once these are actually released [​IMG], that we'll have the choice of more places offering SACD/NTSC combos. I think I could spring for these if I could find them for the $120 that some people got, but not for much more than that.

8. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

I noticed the entire catalog sans Calling All Stations is available on mini-lp replica sleeves, how is the remastering on them? I've considered getting a few of them on ebay

9. Luna5

Luna5 Agent

10. andrew markworthy

Took delivery of the box set today.

Haven't had time to listen to it in 5.1 yet. However, I did watch the Lyceum show on my computer and it was a welcome change from the 5th generation VHS bootleg copy which of course I've never seen personally ...

I've read the booklet that came with the discs and for once we have something that is informative and not afraid to be critical - full marks to Genesis for allowing honesty rather than the sort of uncritical saccharin that normally gets dumped on us.

More on the small matter of sound quality once I've had chance to have a good listen (though be warned my system is probably not up to the exacting standards of a lot of folks here).

11. andrew markworthy

12. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

13. Luna5

Luna5 Agent

14. andrew markworthy

EDIT: PLEASE IGNORE THESE COMMENTS (EXCEPT THE ONE ABOUT THE 'MAKING OF' SECTIONS) - SEE MY MESSAGE BELOW

First listen (sampling a couple of tracks from each album) seems to indicate a not terribly aggressive mix [if that's the right term - i.e. each speaker doesn't seem to have a different instrument coming out of it]. Also - zilch bass, unless my system is screwed up (quite possible, I suppose). The 'making of' comments by band members on each DVD seem to be pretty good (only seen the Abacab one so far).

I think I'll forego making any further comments on sound, however, as my tinnitus has decided to flare up and I'm probably not going to be in the best position to judge the finer points for a couple of days.

15. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

I got mail from HMV wanting confirmation to ship because the shipping fee was higher than the original estimate. Maybe $15 more (it was in yen). But looks like the price stayed the same.

16. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

17. andrew markworthy

I should always remember in the Markworthy household to check if my darling children have been 'adjusting' the home theatre system before posting any comments ...

I discovered today that the system was completely screwed up in its settings. Having got things back to normal (and shot the children) I had another listen. Note that I've got tinnitus (mild, but still alas there) at the moment so these aren't necessarily the most accurate of interpretations. However:

(1) Collins's voice is very prominent in the mix. I personally like this and it doesn't sound jarring.
    (2) The instrumental lines can be easily distinguished.
    (3) The mix is a little more aggressive than I first thought but not in a 'gimmicky' way (e.g. no instruments whizzing round the speakers at every opportunity)
    (4) There is plenty of bass, but not overpoweringly so.

I am far more positive about this set now my system is working properly and it gets a definite thumbs up.

Something I thought I'd mention are the nice visuals. Basically, each track shows a different view of the sleeve art. This is perhaps at its best on Trick of the Tail where each track has a 'cut out' picture of the character on the sleeve representing the song in question. It's a small point, but nonetheless a neat little touch.

18. Craig Rosenthal

My box set arrived today. I also got an email saying that shipping was higher than expected, which I agreed to. The USPS delivered it today, via Global Express Mail.

First off, it is exactly as HMV advertised -- SACD + DVDs that are NTSC. Again, I really ordered this for the SACDs, not the DVDs. The DVDs do have a DTS 96/24 soundtrack, in addition to Dolby Digital. I quickly compared the Abacab discs and there was clearly a difference between the openness of the SACD and the DTS 96/24 on the DVD. The SACD was much fuller. My initial reaction to the video quality (at least for the Abacab videos) is mediocre at best.

I only had a little time to listen today as I was off from work, and my wife had a couple of really amazing surprises for me for my 40th birthday. I had a little downtime this afternoon, so I am typing this with Duke on SACD playing, and I am pretty happy with the mix. The surrounds are thankfully used for ambiance, and not directly for instruments. The soundstage isn't very "forward", so it appears that this mix is meant to be played reasonably loud. I have no issues with the bass - my Velodyne is being kept busy, and the vocals are anchored clearly in the center of the soundstage.

This was definitely worth the money and like all good things in life, worth the wait.

Craig

19. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

20. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Anyone have a good link for a good description of all the extra stuff included? The bonus SACD, et al?