What's new

Genesis on SACD soon (1 Viewer)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
About two weeks ago I emailed Rhino (I'm *assuming* this is who will release these for Warners) about the release date for the CD+dvd versions for the U.S. Don't hold your breath because almost every time I ask them something to do with surround music it takes them at least a month and usually longer to reply. I think they know who I am and are worried that I'll blab the info on forums like this, which is true! :D

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
wow you're RICH! :D

I'm starting to wonder that the continuing lack of a release date for U.S. versions might mean Warner/Rhino is thinking of dvd-a versions instead.....O.K. I will admit that's being way too optimistic. But if they do, I hope they arrange the audio menu so ALL audio formats are listed i.e. MLP, Dolby, DTS, etc. That way people with players not yet set up correctly for hi-res (six analog outs) can hear something without thinking the disc is defective. DTS does this with many of their discs.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
The only rational way of doing this if you're a completist is to get the box sets (of which zilch details of where they can bought, price, etc, as yet).

I shall be just slightly annoyed (Brit understatement) if I get the box sets and then discover there's a change of heart and the extras discs will be made available separately.

Incidentally, for all of my American cousins fainting over the prices - welcome to Britain. :frowning:

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Unless your player is region free, you won't get any SACD/DVD-V combination that works in North America. The North American releases will have DVD-Vs that you can watch, but no SACD. You can complain to Warner's for not A) releasing the SACDs or B) for not releasing DVD-A versions. They are the reason North America is not slated for entirely compatible hi-res audio/DVD-V releases.

CarlP

Agent
Or...you could just buy a cheapie Oppo player for your secondary system. The plethora of features you get for only $200 makes it an incredible value. I'm impressed with it even with my main player being an Esoteric DV-50.

As for the backorder comment, the discs don't come out til April 2nd.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
There is one other way that a few of us enjoy. :)

I have a Pioneer 59AVi. NTSC player. But it does PAL passthrough (*not* PAL to NTSC conversion). I also have a professional Panasonic plasma. I didn't know this when I got it, but it does accept and display the PAL signal correctly. (With my last CRT TV, I could "watch" PAL discs from the Pio player, but the vertical rate was off. 50Hz vs 60Hz I think, right?)

I don't 100% understand why my combo works, but it does.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
A very, very few. ;)

I have no worries as my Cambridge Audio 540D is both region free right out of the box AND does a great PAL to NTSC conversion (it also does the reverse as well as pass each format natively--a handy feature for those who have projectors/displays that can do both formats), so I will get the European sets without hesitation. But 99.9% of players in people's homes in North America will not do what mine or yours does and they, without a gear upgrade, are out of luck if they want to avoid incompatible video/lack of hi-res/double-dipping for two sets of discs.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
At the worst, you can always use a PC with a DVD drive and playback software to watch the DVD. PCs don't care about NTSC or PAL.

Jason

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Pic of the first Genesis SACD boxset from sa-cd.net....

BTW, Elusive Disc now have individual Genesis SACDs w/ NTSC DVDs for $30.00/each.

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
I emailed Elusive Disc to see if there was a box set version of these SACD & NTSC dvds they are selling. I included a link to the box set on Amazon.uk. They replied that they never heard of a box set, and thought it was mislabeled and was a cd set. I replied that severalplaces are selling it and it is indeed sacd. I also said that I thought there was no such thing as a SACD & NTSC dvd version available (that seemed to be the story here, right?)

So if they are selling SACD/NTSC single albums, could there be a box set with the extra discin this format too?

So is this a Japanese version if it's NTSC?

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
:crazy:

it sure was easier in the 80s when all you had to worry about was whether to buy the LP, cassette or one of those cee dee things........

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
A friend of mine told me that Steve Hackett is selling them on his site, and that he will sign copies of the ones he was on. The price is comparable to Elusive Disc, so you wouldn't be paying that much more.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks