What's new

General Speaker Overviews - Concise Introduction to Brands (1 Viewer)

Stephen_E

Grip
Alright, this is about as far fetched an idea as i've come up with in a long time but i feel it can be an excellent staging grounds for newer people getting into the complicated world of hifi and home theater.

From my relativly small amount of time in the "scene" i've come to a general idea that speakers by themselves stand for over 90 percent of why the system sounds the way it does. The components/cables can change this sound, but not nearly as drastically as changing the speaker ( loudspeaker / subwoofer ) itself.

The Premise: To list the speaker brand and preferably model you own and as best possible try to give a general description of the characteristics the speaker exhibits. To give a good *basic* feeling for different brands and their respective signature sounds.

I realise this will be marred by individuals hearing capabilities as well as the systems they are hooked up to, but there isnt a soul that can tell me Klipsch and Legacy sound alike, so thats what i'm looking for. ( in this case of course Klipsch has that bright-as-hell-in-your-face sound while Legacy tries its best to be a more laid back speaker with a refined and smoothe sound, to my ears )

Bright / Smoothe / Extremely Revealing and Detailed / would be examples of things we could apply here. The more creative *and* honest your description is, the better!

I realise there are several threads that give light to various speakers, but if this thread catches on like i hope the central source of information could be absolutely priceless to those looking for a concise easy to understand compilation of reviews.

Let me kick this off to give you an idea.

-================================================== ============================-

- This system is fed via a Pioneer Elite Receiver -

L/R: Infinity RS-8 - This speaker gives off multiple personalities if provided multiple source materials. Fed techno/rock and expect the EMiT tweeter to give you very clean and detailed high notes coupled with a very super tight bass from the 6.5 woofer. On more classic rock or even acoustic performances, the speaker has a clear lacking as the 6.5 woofer is not ported and the powered subwoofer doesnt appear very adept on picking up redbook material. Overall the speaker exhibits an overly tweeter based design so expect to be wowed when glass shatters in a movie, but when listening to music i feel the 6.5 woofer has a tendancy to *slightly* muffle the sound coming from acoustic material, while vocals seem to soar through the air. Bass is handled well on HT material via the built in 8inch powered woofer but on pure music the bass is quite lacking in both clarity and solidity. A dedicated subwoofer is nearly mandatory.

Center: Infinity CC-3 - Dont expect deafening levels from this center channel, but do expect clean vocals, spoken dialogue, and the same outstanding EMiT tweeter found in the rest of the RS series. A clean layout of 2 5.25 woofers seperated by a 1" EMiT tweeter sets the stage.

Surrounds: Infinity RS-3 - This 2-way system uses the same woofer found in the RS-8 and EMiT tweeters, however being a bookshelf it has its own characteristics that divert some sonic nuances away from its similar RS-8 companion. The bass from the 6.5 woofer is definatly tighter and much, MUCH more defined than the RS-8. This is most likely due to the port given to the 6.5 that resides in the RS-3 unlike the RS-8. The tweeter/woofer also seems to be set with a better crossover than the RS-8 giving the RS-3 as a stereo pair a much more seamless transition from sounds of techno beats and sirens to the chimes and guitar plucks of Clapton's unplugged session. The bookshelf does have its shortcommings however, fed lower bass notes the speaker has a tendancy to muddy the entire sound coming out of it, and this isnt even at high volumes or anywhere near clipping range on my system. Best not to have these set as "large" on the receiver. Overall, the RS-3 provides a beautiful stereo image *and* soundstage on all listening material.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
The room has as much if not more affect on the sound. Also, your description of 'laid back' could equal my description of 'dull and lifeless'. There are really too many variables to neatly sort speakers into these bins. Perhaps you could have Vince add a description of each type of speaker (ribbon, planer, dipole, direct radiator, etc.) to the beginner FAQ?

Stephen_E

Grip
yeah.... so it was a complete and utterly overambiSHUSH plan that didnt exactly take off.. i knew i'd be laughing when i returned to this post after i spent... all of 2 seconds thinking about varibles to take into consideration.. its all good tho..

aaaaand i didnt take into consideration the room itself...

so in a vague attempt to turn this into useful..

a thought i had on how we keep going higher and higher tech vs. the basics that brought us into our love of movies and music..

remember putting the vinyl on the platter, moving the arm over and just watching it spin giving us our music?

remember just pushing the vcr tape in, not caring what audio settings we had and watching a damn good movie?

some of us will no doubt scoff at the crude methods we used... to *enjoy* what we did.

20+ years later.. we are surrounded by technological wizardry that brings the damn theater into our homes, but i cant help but *miss* the old days when it was the media instead of the presentation that sucked me in.. the thought honestly puts into question the money i put into my system. would i have enjoyed the deep psychological impact of 'Black Hawk Down' or 'A Beautiful Mind' any less had i not even known of dvd's existence?

just one mans view.

and on that note..

au revoir

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks