General question on center channel level setting

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by keithling, Sep 18, 2011.

1. keithling

keithling Stunt Coordinator

How many of you bump your center channel speaker level up after doing calibrated settings? I have lstened to numerous movies after setting my Pioneer VSX-1019 using MCACC according to the manual. The dialogue in most action movies is WAY too quiet. I'm considering about a 9db bump. My living room is not huge, but it does have a vaulted ceiling that goes from about 8-9' high. My center channel speaker is directly below the TV, so it is not obstructed or too low. Speakers are Polk Monitor 70s L/R, Polk CS2 center, Polk Monitor 30s on stands (rear), and 2 Polk SW505 powered subs. The subs are at very tame levels. We watched Thor on Blu-ray tonight, and I had to ride the volume throughout the movie. Not fun.

2. Frank A

Frank A Stunt Coordinator

I do. My hearing is not what it used to be.

3. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Both the 70's and the CS2 have an SPL of 90. But I guess it depends on whats being played. And I've always felt Pioneers had very clear mid-range/vocals (currently using a vsx-23txh). My biggest problem seems to be watching sports in HD and DD 5.1. The crowd noise is much louder than the commentators (second thought-maybe not a bad thing). I also notice this with other sources so I change things once in a while. There doesn't seem to be any consistancy in recorded or broadcast volume levels. To me, adjusting the volume trim levels via remote control is mandatory for any receiver that I would ever own. Just curious keith, what numbers did MCACC come up with for your speakers?