General Information needed regarding a Receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Luke Zhang, Feb 11, 2002.

1. Luke Zhang

Luke Zhang Extra

Jan 18, 2002
    I recall seeing a thread detailing what exact a receiver do. But I am still a bit confused. Can anyone answer these questions?

Does a receiver come with an Amplifer. I hear the term Pre-Amp is used a lot with a receiver but not an Amplifier?

The Processor component of the receiver decodes digital information from the audio/dvd disc. What are the different formats out besides Dolby and DTS?

Do receivers normally come with a FM/AM tuner?

There are higher end models out there with 6.1 and 7.1 outputs, does this mean it can support 6 or 7 speakers? Are these standards supported on normal Audio CDs or DVDs?

And finally, what are some of the features you look for when considering purchasing a good receiver?
  2. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Jan 6, 2001
    A Receiver combines a preamplifier, i.e. the processing unit, amplifiers, and am/fm tuner.

In addition to DTS and DD, the preamp part of the receiver might have several DSP modes, eg. 5-channel stereo. I believe regular 2 channel PCM is another property.

Except in rare cases, the 5+ amplifiers a surround-sound receiver might have derives power from a single power transformer.