What's new

Gear Longevity Database (1 Viewer)

John*K

Stunt Coordinator
My HK AVR7000 basically died on me, and I'm frustrated, because I've only had it for over 3 years. Was wondering whether there was some sort of database that averages user experience with gear longevity. Was 8 to 10 years too much to expect from my receiver?

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
John*K

Ii am not aware of any longevity data base. I have read a considerable amount about problems with HK receivers. I almost bought an HK8000, but I read about too many problems with noise and backed out.

I have a hand full of receivers, including a $100 one that still works just about perfectly after 20 years. I have several others that are 12 years old that work perfectly.

You should expect 8-10 years, however, I am careful to make sure that they do not overheat.

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt
I don't think expecting ten years from a receiver is at all unreasonable. I have a Marantz 2225 in my bedroom that would have been built in around 1976, and it still works and sounds great. I have another 2270 that was even older that still works, although it could use a bit of work.

I'd be really disappointed with only three years. Unfortunately, though, I keep hearing bad things about HK reliability. I'm just hoping my AVR 320 out of my main system lasts a few more years...

yobamam

Grip
Real Name
Don
I also heard lots of problems with HK. I guess it makes business sense to use cheap parts, overcharge, and sell broken ones as refurbished on ebay for profits again on the same product. Well, I honestly don't know how cheap the parts are, but with the huge ebay business and the user reports of broken receivers with no improvement by the company, it makes you wonder just how profitable refurbishing their products is compared to rectifying the issues that have been prevalent through many generations of the same product line. I honestly wanted a HK due to the sound, but I don't want to risk getting a huge, expensive paper weight a few years down the line. I'm sure somebody will respond saying they have a 10 year old HK that works perfectly, but there's no denying the percentage of dying HK receivers is much much higher than other brands. Im happily using a 10 year old jvc 5.1 receiver, panasonic xr10, and a brand new panasonic xr55. I expect these to last as long as I want them to.

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
There is one Yamaha RX-V390 and two RX-V490s in my extended family still going strong after about nine years (purchased late 1997, early '98)... My Dad has my Marantz SR6200 that I purchased in 2002, almost five years old... and I have an SR7300 OSE from 2003, just approaching the four year mark. Both Marantz units had factory defects corrected early under warranty, and have been fine ever since. I have a couple of friends that have the Marantz SR7000 and SR8000, which were manufactured in 2000. I wouldn't be surprised if these particular units lasted well beyond the ten year mark.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks