What's new

*** Gay-Friendly DVDs, version 4.0 (1 Viewer)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
GerardoHP-
Is it just me, or did your BEN-HUR thread
go a missing?
I cannot find it now. Was it too controversial,
did it "get ugly"?
Just wondering,
Mark

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
The thread was moved where it should have been located in the first place: the Movies discussion area.
- Steve

Alan Light

Stunt Coordinator
I just received my copy of the Queer As Folk 2 (U.K.) DVD from c1tv.com. It is a bit of a disappointment. Unlike their QAF1 DVD set this one is not anamorphic. There are also no chapter stops at all. (The QAF1 DVD set didn't have chapter stops either.) And they did not include the wonderful behind the scenes documentary that is contained on the Region 2 anamorphic QAF2 DVD. All in all, a shoddy job. Oh well.

Chris Skina

Auditioning
Gohatto is visually superbe and behind that slow peace (seen any art Jap film before?...)there's a lot of tension.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I just received Urbania.
Wow! What a great disc and film!
DVD specs:
1.85:1 AR, with ANAMORPHIC enhancement
Dolby Digital 5.1 Sound
Bonus Materials:
1) Audio Commentary with
the director, Jon Shear, and
lead actor, Dan Futterman with
brief appearences by Alan Cumming
and Gabriel Olds.
2) Deleted Scenes
3) Featurette on the process of
turing this 16mm film into one
of the best looking films via digitizing
the entire film prior to editing it.
4) Featurette on urban myths.
5) "Easter Egg" (Click on the
Trimark logo on the main menu) of
trailers for Urbania, Better Than Chocolate,
and Billy's Hollywood Screen Kiss.
A great film about a gay man's quest for
resolution after his long term lover leaves him.
Dan Futterman gives a daring performance as a man
who is angry not only at the world, but at himself
for losing control of his world. Grief, guilt and revenge
are also key factors in the film.
The film threads many urban legends into
the narrative, as the protagonist bumps
into people who either experience or tell
him their stories.
Since the filmmaker wanted to put us
inside the protagonist's mind, the film
slips back and forth from past and present
and from reality to sureality. We are
experienceing the life of a fractured man,
so the story comes to us in fractured bits
as well. It is no wonder that we are constantly
looking at Futterman through refections in mirrors
or glass.
Matt Keeslar plays Futterman's lover, Chris,
and their scenes together are some of the
most romantic moments in gay cinema.
(A scene of Futterman drying and powerdering
a fresh-from-the-bath Keeslar is one scene
I am sure to review over and over again.)
I would love a film that just dealt
with the relationship between Futterman
and Keeslar, but that would be an
entirely different film.
This film is very intimate, but
I wouldn't call it a romance, since
the plot never delves much into that
area of life...just the loss of romance,
companionship, and the love of your life.
This is one of those films that you have
to just let it take you where it wants to
go and trust that it will all make sense
before the credits start rolling up the screen.
The commentary track is very engaging,
although Shear does get a bit redundant.
This DVD is a must buy! But be forwarnded,
this film does not take you to a happy place.
Cheers!
Mark

Thane

Stunt Coordinator
More on Urbania:
After posting to this thread a few days ago my thoughts about Urbania, I received a very nice email from Stephanie, the producer of the movie. Will post some of it here (with permission); many capsule reviews were included, some of which I initially posted here but have since deleted as I'm not sure of copyright issues. I would refer you to Mark's excellent review.
Dear Thane:
I am the producer of Urbania and happened to surf by your comments! Thanks for the recommendation. FYI - URBANIA was nominated for a GLAAD award for best film of the year! Needless to say, we are very excited. Also here is
some other info on the film:
Urbania was on over 20 of the top ten films of the year lists including The San Francisco Chronicle, The LA Times (honorable mention), The LA Weekly, New Times LA, SF Bay Guardian, Popcorn Q, Baltimore City Paper, Washington City
Paper, Toronto Eye, Box Office Magazine, Boston Bay Windows and others! And for those who haven't seen it, here are the capsule version of the amazing reviews that the film garnered during it's theatrical release!
By the way, Outfest (The LA Gay and Lesbian Film Organization) has nominated Dan Futterman (who incidentally played Robin William's son in Birdcage)for its first annual Screen Idol award. Vote at website www.outfest.org.
(As you can probably tell by now, I LOVED this movie!)
Stephanie also asked for feedback on the DVD extras...nice to have our opinions solicited, don't you think? :)

Alan Light

Stunt Coordinator
I just ordered Urbania based on the comments in this thread. I had avoided ordering it up until now because the people I know who saw it theatrically told me it was confusing and depressing...as you put it, Mark, that it does not end up in a happy place. But I am going to take a gamble and see if I like it anyway. I have the feeling that Urbania and The Broken Hearts Club, which I just watched and adored, are vastly different gay themed films. My favorites are the feel-good upbeat ones by and large - Edge Of Seventeen, Billy's Hollywood Screen Kiss, Get Real - so we'll see if I manage to get through Urbania.

John Koehler

Stunt Coordinator
Urbania has soul! I continually yearn for movies that have some substance, even though I can enjoy a scifi lightshow or fantasy or comedy without it. But it is nice to occasionally get a picture you can sink your teeth into. This film has it, and Futterman's portrayal of a gay man in existential hell (for a damn good reason) is so convincing, I myself was convinced he was family. Alas, according to a recent Advocate interview, he is a married "gay-acting straight man," with a baby due soon. HOWEVER, he regards actors playing a gay role who find it necessary to quickly mention girlfriends or wives as indulging in an insecurity that is, to use his word, "creepy." Finally, Futterman admits there is a large homosexual component in his psyche, but outweighed by his hetero one. So, that may explain his affinity for the role he plays in Urbania. As I said above, I fell in love with him after watching this picture!
I am also glad to see my intitial reaction supported here by other posters (I reviewed the film from a VHS screener above, page 7 of this thread, Feb. 12)). New viewers be advised that this movie unfolds in non-linear fashion. It takes some patience at first, but gradually you are rewarded. Heavily.
Most movies offer the brain junk food, or pastries. This film is steak and potatoes!

Douglas Kalon

Stunt Coordinator
Just thought that I would pass on a tip to you guys.
For a list of gay/lesbian titles currently/ or coming soon on DVD go to the following site.
http://www.dvdplanet.com/
On the left hand side of the page, Under categories click on All Categories.
On the next page scroll down into the secondary categories.
In the second row and about 3/4s of the way down will be the Gay/Lesbian link.Click on it and it will list all of the Gay/Lesbian titles they have or will have on DVD.
As of today they listed 175 Gay/Lesbian DVD's.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Wow, I could almost fill up a rack!
Guys, I just wanted to sneak in here for a
moment and thank you for keeping this thread
going, on-topic, and controversy-free.
I occasionally see email from members who
don't approve of or appreciate the subject
matter, and of course, we have all seen a
trolling post or two in our time.
As an administrator with a vested interest
in the topic
wink.gif
I just wanted to say thanks.
If you ever run into any problems in this thread,
let me or any of the admins here know and we will
quickly take care of it.
- Steve
P.S.: Have y'all seen Almost Famous? What
did you think of the mid-air confession sequence?

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
As for Almost Famous, I love that confession. It made me roll in my seat laughing because I had a feeling someone would come out of the closet in that scene.
Anyhoo, I've ordered Urbania based on people's suggestion on this forum. I'm not just getting this for the great story plot, I'm also getting it because Dan Futterman and Matt Keesler are two of my favorite under-appreciated male actors. Dan has just been amazing since his first big screen presenece (albeit not his first movie) in The Birdcage.
I'll tell you what I think when I get the movie sometime this weekend (it's on its way somewhere in USPS limboland).

Users who are viewing this thread