Gay-Friendly Blu-rays

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Mark Walker, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I was disappointed PBS isn't showing the Christmas episode (now). I wonder if they'll throw it into the mix come holiday time. At any rate, I'll have the DVDs and will have watched it several times by then (albeit, not in HD). I understand it's quite hilarious.

Mark Walker likes this.
  2. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    According to iTunes, the air date of the Christmas special will be Dec 1, 2014. Right now you can only get the episode if you buy the complete season from iTunes, and I believe it is also included in the DVD release.

Matt Hough likes this.
  3. Matt Hough

Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Thanks for the info, Mark.

4. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    It seems Sordid Lives is coming to Blu-ray from Wolfe on September 30...

Will Krupp and Mark Walker like this.
  5. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    And of course there's the Madame Vaastra and Jenny relationship which figures at least as prominently as Jack Harkness.

6. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Screenwriter

Will
    Yay!! It's been funny having the series on blu-ray but having to put up with a less than stellar DVD presentation when we want to watch the movie (which is more often than you would think!)

As Brother Boy would say: "Well thaayynk yeww"

Matt Hough, Mark Walker and MatthewA like this.
  7. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Cinematographer
    Supporter

As a follow up for OUT IN THE DARK,
    the following was written and really details how the film is a very accurate representation of what life is like for an LGBT Palestinian:
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/08/13/gay-palestinians-in-israel-the-invisible-men.html

MatthewA and Matt Hough like this.
  8. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    I know I brought up Sex of the Angels and it was liked...even though, even like I mentioned, it was a tad light on the "non-straight" end of things.

Another even better movie. The (chronology of the) plot is a mess, but after I watched it the 2nd time, three days later, it made much more sense.

Sex of the Angels meets The Dreamers...

One Two Another

Will Krupp likes this.
  9. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Screenwriter

Will
    ...meets twin peaks :)

Mark Walker likes this.
  10. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Screenwriter

Will
    I saw a really great little Flemish film on Netflix streaming this weekend called NORTH SEA, TEXAS (Dutch title: Nordzee Texas.) It's a really really sweet coming of age story set in the late 60's/early 70's. Well acted, beautifully shot (oh WHY can't gay-themed American movies get this amount of care??) and with more than a few surprises thrown in, I highly recommend it. No spoilers but, for all the angst the lead character goes through (well and wisely played by brilliant young Jelle Floorizone as completely removed and utterly out of step with every person he comes in contact with) it's got a feel-good quality that can't be denied.

The HD master is very good looking and I hope it means there's a blu-ray on the way (DVD only as of now but I'll wait) If you get the chance, see it (at least twice!)

551118_full.jpg

ahollis, Jason_V, Matt Hough and 3 others like this.
  11. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    North Sea Texas is part of Pecadillo, like One Two Another.

12. Mark Walker

Supporter

Thanks for the suggestions, fellas!

Netflix is sending me One Two Another in the mail and I will likely stream North Sea Texas this weekend!

I have two quick updates to post:

One film that might have flown under our collective radar is Space Station 76.
    It stars Matthew Bomer, Liv Tyler, and Patrick Wilson.
    [​IMG]
    It was written and directed by Jack Plotnick, who I always remember as the guy who had to remove his clothes to get Ian McKellan's James Whale to tell his tales in the film Gods and Monsters.

More about the film and its trailer can be found at the following links:

spacestation76.com (FB page)

I have to admit the previews make this film look PERFECT for me: a kid who grew up on 70's sci-fi programming.
    [​IMG]

I missed this film in theaters, but it hits DVD and HD digital in late September.

I chatted up Jack, who I have a bit of fan boy crush on (Jack has been great in a lot of things, including the vile Girls Will be Girls.), and asked him about a Blu-ray release (This is a Sony release after all.) and Jack responded that Sony has no plans to release it on Blu-ray.

Reviews seem good, but some mention the film's tone seems unsure wheter it is a parody or an actual soapy drama.

A link to order it at Amazon is below:
    http://www.amazon.com/Space-Station-76-Patrick-Wilson/dp/B00LYHXHUI/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1408521560&sr=1-1&keywords=space+station+76

In other news Love is Strange has posted when it is playing in selected cities.
    http://sonyclassics.com/loveisstrange/dates.html

[​IMG]
    It looks like I will be seeing it in Portland the week of 9/12. LA gets it this week, and those of you in major cities in Washington, Massachusetts, North Carolina, and Texas have multiple chances, too!

The New York Times did a great write up as well, which can be read at the link below:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/17/movies/john-lithgow-and-alfred-molina-play-a-longtime-couple.html?smid=fb-share&_r=1

Seems to be a good year for LGBT-themed films that have some fresh to explore.

Cheers!

Matt Hough and Will Krupp like this.
  13. Matt Hough

Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I've read about both of these films and look forward to seeing them eventually though likely at home rather than in a theater.

I was reminded last night that I'll be reviewing the DVD of Burning Blue when it arrives (probably next week or thereabouts).

Mark Walker likes this.
  14. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    Just announced for BLU-RAY! I'm so glad Strand decided to do Blu-ray for this title. It was a big hit at the Los Angeles Outfest and I am dying to see it.

The-Way-He-Looks.jpg

Trailer:

Amazon (1/27/2015): http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MV7E6MS

Reed Grele and Mark Walker like this.
  15. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Perhaps this is why. Not every movie can benefit from the HBO hype machine. And after having been involved in no-budget filmmaking, I can tell you from personal experience that getting funding for any kind of independent film, gay-themed or otherwise, is harder than Crowdsource and Indiegogo make it look.

16. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Screenwriter

Will
    So I don't know if anybody's familiar with the movie G.B.F. but I have to admit I've fallen completely in love with it. It's a light (emphasis on the "light"...this isn't going to change the world boys, but it's going to put a smile on your face) big-hearted, candy-colored farce about a definitely un-fabulous gay high school boy (played winningly by the adorable Michael J. Willett of "United States of Tara" and "Faking It") who is mistakenly outed in a school with no visible gay students and finds himself a hapless pawn in a fight between the "mean girl" leaders of the school's three cliques, all of whom are vying to get the latest celebrity fashion accessory, the Gay Best Friend.

I gotta tell you, I went in to this with NO expectations whatsoever and was completely charmed by this in every way. It's funny, it's sweet, it's silly, it's slick, and it made my heart melt. Directed by Darren (Jawbreakers) Stein, it's filled with familiar faces and they all seem to be having a great time. The three girls are played by Sasha Pieterse ("Pretty Little Liars") Andrea Bowen ("Desperate Housewives") and Xosha Roquemore (hysterical in "The Mindy Project"), there's a funny performance by Jo-Jo (yes, THAT Jo-Jo) as the founder of the school's Gay-Straight Alliance that has no actual gay members, and lo and behold there's Evanna "Luna Lovegood" Lynch playing an absolute bitch with a flawless American accent and not a nargle in sight. The rest of the cast is filled with familiar faces Megan Mullally (perfect), Jonathan Silverman, Natasha Lyonne, Rebecca Gayheart and, for about 30 seconds, Horatio Sanz.

I can't say enough about Michael J. Willett in the lead.role. He's so vulnerable, relatable and dorky sweet that he gives the movie a soul and makes the whole silly thing work. I was not familiar with Paul Iacono (who plays Willett's TRULY fabulous best friend and the one who should have been outed in the first place and now, after the two have a falling out, has to watch his former best friend live the high school life that should have been his) but he's funny and also extremely charming. The scene in which he is forced to sit through BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN with his mother (Mullally) is worth the price of admission in itself (and, based on Iacono's reactions in the bloopers, much of Mullally's asides MUST have been ad-libbed on camera.)

The two boys have great chemistry and it's refreshing to see unequivocally "out" actors playing the gay characters (between this and "Looking" maybe it's a new trend?)

The movie is, unforgivably, rated R for NO other reason than that it's about the icky gays. There is absolutely nothing in this movie that should warrant this rating. Enough on that, though, or I'll never stop.ranting about the homophobia of the MPAA.

Now, it should be noted that there is currently NO North American blu-ray available (and I don't think we're getting one) but the good news is that there is a very good region-free UK release to be had:

91zldkf1FeL._SL1500_.jpg

The blu-ray includes a feature length commentary from director Darren Stein and writer George Northy and a FORTY minute "making of" documentary in 1080p. By the way, some asshole is selling the UK region free blu-ray on Amazon.com for the astronomical "you gotta lotta nerve" price of $45 but if you go directly to Amazon UK (as I did) you can have it for about $16 including shipping. I had it in my hands (via Royal Mail) in five days.

It's also currently streaming on netflix and well worth a look.

17. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Screenwriter

Will
    I'm sorry, I absolutely meant no offense. I see a lot of American gay themed movies, though, that look as though they were quickie straight-to video shoots with merely adequate performances, terrible writing, and horrendous lighting (TRIPLE CROSSED, anyone?) When I'm lucky enough to see something as beautifully shot and well produced as NORTH SEA, TEXAS or STRANGER BY THE LAKE it makes an impact.

ahollis and Mark Walker like this.
  18. Mark Walker

Supporter

I know at least one other regular poster to this thread used to review LGBT films, like I used to do for one distributor.

Well, I had to stop because I watched so many really bad movies that I suspect never would have been made or released had they not been made by and for LGBT folks. I had to stop reviewing because yet another coming out story with nothing fresh or interesting to say with the bonus of REALLY bad acting. DREK is kind.

It seems, as of late, we've finally reached a point where LGBT films know they cannot just be about being LGBT and be worthy of viewing.

Also, thanks for the heads up about the code-free Blu-ray of G.B.F. I rented the DVD and enjoyed it, thought I admit the whole Mean Girls and Jawbreaker type of film is not a sub-genre I gravitate to.

The region-free Blu-ray may tempt me to purchase. You are right about the cast and production values being top notch.

The second part of the plot with the
    gay versus gay
    did not work for me, but I think this may be where I am starting to feel a bit geriatric. :)

Matt Hough and Will Krupp like this.
  19. Mark Walker

Supporter

20. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    None taken, I've seen my share of lousy ones, too (Private Romeo being the worst I can remember seeing of late; the idea of an all-male Romeo and Juliet is as old as the original Globe Theatre production, but this just didn't work), or stuff that looked too bad for me to even try (not Ben and Arthur bad, but still...).

Will Krupp and Mark Walker like this.