Gay-Friendly Blu-rays

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Mark Walker, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Screenwriter

Will
    Oh thanks, Mike! (I didn't know that!)

2. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

It's the magic of the internet! :D

Mark Walker and Will Krupp like this.
  3. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    About time that preorder went back up. I looked every day before we went on vacation... Not too much longer until I get to see what you guys are raving about. :D

Mark Walker likes this.
  4. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Cinematographer
    Supporter

Happy Fourth of July to everyone here in the USA.

Another film that looks very promising is coming to theaters (I suspect in a very limited engagement.) and then, one would hope there will be a Blu-ray release via Sony: Love is Strange.

Alfred Molina and John Lithgow star as an aging couple that takes a financial downturn when one of them is suddenly let go from work after years of teaching music at a religiously-affiliated institution. Their families come together to help them out (after being asked) and comedy and drama ensue.

Reviews have been very good.

I have yet to see Lithgow in anything where he is not wonderful. Lithogw also has had a special place in my heart since he played the trans character in The World According to Garp back in the 1980s.

Some photos from Love is Strange are posted below along with a link to a trailer.

I would say this one will be a blind buy for me.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Link to the film's trailer:

Now, go play with your sparklers. :)

Matt Hough likes this.
  5. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    With the talent involved, I think a blind buy would be a safe bet. I certainly plan to get it.

Mark Walker likes this.
  6. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    I read/heard about Love is Strange somewhere (before your post), Mark, and I can't remember where for the life of me. I'm certainly intrigued and I'll "try" to catch it up here...if there's a screening. I doubt it, but you never know.

Mark Walker likes this.
  7. rsmithjr

rsmithjr Screenwriter

Robert Smith
    "Love is Strange" looks like a cross-over hit. It is being compared to Tokyo Story and Make Way for Tomorrow.

100% on RottenTomatoes.com right now.

Mark Walker likes this.
  8. bujaki

bujaki Screenwriter

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    But how many people know and love Make Way for Tomorrow, and Tokyo Story, the way we do?

9. rsmithjr

rsmithjr Screenwriter

Robert Smith
    Good point. But reviews often mention classics and even if the reader doesn't know the referenced film, the fact that the reviewer is making such a comparison can validate the review.

Some of the things it has going for it are:
    1. Good stars.
    2. Excellent opening date. Late August has proven to be a great time for adult-oriented dramas that eventually do well and win awards.
    3. A very timely topic that may resonate well with cross-over audiences.
    4. Appeal to older audiences that make up the indie crowd to a considerable degree. I saw Nebraska several times theatrically and the auditorium was always packed with an older crowd, increasingly as time went on. This film isn't just about anti-gay discrimination, it is about older people not having a place in the world.

It is also a film that can change minds.

Mark Walker and bujaki like this.
  10. Reed Grele

Reed Grele Screenwriter

Reed Grele
    Had a chance to watch TT's new BD release of Thunderbolt and Lightfoot last night. Then decided to give the commentary track a listen. Very early into the commentary, reference was made to this thread: The Endless Thunderbolt & Lightfoot Gay/No Way Debate. Lots of interesting reading. Made me aware of a lot of things that I had never picked up on. And I've seen this film many, many times over the last 40 years.

Like the old saying goes: Where there's smoke, there's fire.

Mark Walker likes this.
  11. Mark Walker

Supporter

The DVD of Five Dances was released and I got my copy from WolfeVideo.com
    [​IMG]
    along with a cache of other films I have yet to watch.

There is no Blu-ray yet, and I am not holding out for one.

The DVD is everything I hoped for:
    The image and sound are both just fine for a DVD.
    The bonus materials on the DVD are what make me *really* happy I did not just go for a streaming copy!
    It includes a commentary track with the writer/director and lead, Ryan Steele.

While there are a few periods of silence on the commetary, overall it is exactly the kind of commentary I wanted for this film. The writer/director keeps it simple, but goes into his creative process on this film, how it was made in the editing room, and how they had to shoot pick ups and add dialogue where the film needed it. The director also goes into how he changed the nature of Steele's character, Chip, after meeting Steele.

The other great thing is how they talk about how the relationships on the set informed the film, like the how Steele and his male love interest became good friends and the cast of five became "family."

Again, just what I was hoping to hear: a warm "insider's story" on the making of this film.
    Other bonus features include deleted scenes including a great one about pizza and the film's trailer.
    The deleted scenes can be selected individually or to "play all."
    The film appears to be 1.78:1 and has audio in DD 5.1 and 2.0 with the commentary also in 2.0.

I will add the film continues to delight me, even as I continue to feel it stops more than it ends. The romance played stronger this time than it did when I saw it in the theater.

Other films I will bring up in the weeks to come include the Blu-ray of Bear CIty 2 and the DVDs of Test (which I also really really liked) Two Hot Guys With Guns, Leather, Hawaii, and Birthday Cake.

Matt Hough and Will Krupp like this.
  12. Matt Hough

Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Thanks so much for the comments on the quality and contents of the release. I'll be looking to add this to the collection, too.

Will Krupp and Mark Walker like this.
  13. Tony J Case

Tony J Case Cinematographer

Well, if you're looking for gay content on blu ray - well, its not so much that the show focuses on gay themes and content, but more that it features a gay (well, omnisexual) character where his sexual orientation is simply no big deal:

[​IMG]

Captain Jack is gay as the day is long, and he's just another companion. Any friction between him and the Doctor results of Jack's immortal nature, and not that he kisses dudes.

Mark Walker likes this.
  14. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Screenwriter

Will
    Just out of curiosity, now that VICIOUS is nearing the end of its PBS run, what does everybody think?

I'm quite enjoying it, to be honest. There's nothing really nutritious about it and it's the kind of comedy that you forget as soon as it's over, but it's fun seeing Ian, Derek, and Frances having such a lark. I don't know that I would need to own it on disc, but I do find myself looking forward to it each week.

Thoughts?

Reed Grele and Mark Walker like this.
  15. Matt Hough

Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Last week's episode with Ash's girl friend encountering the two cynics was so hilarious that my sides ached from laughter. I refused to erase it from my DVR until I could order the DVD set (alas, no Blu-ray) and have it here for all time.

This week is the finale.

16. Mark Walker

Supporter

I am very glad I ordered the DVD of series one. I wonder how much having Derek, Ian, and Francis as the leads is influencing me, but I am really enjoying it and can see re-watching it from time to time. And like Matt, I am laughing out loud fairly often, which is surprising for me.

Matt Hough likes this.
  17. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Screenwriter

Will
    Well, I will admit that all the episodes are still on my DVR, I'm just not sure how much repeat value it'll have for me far down the road. Last week's episode with Ash's girlfriend was VERY funny (probably the best of the bunch so far) but I was sad that Violet was removed from the main action for most of it.

"That's why I made chicken!!"

I'll give the whole series a re-watch before making any buying decisions (now that I think of it, I've watched each episode at LEAST twice so maybe I like it MORE than I think I do) but I hope, if there's a second series they drop the running joke about the nearly dead dog because it's getting, IMO really really tiresome :unsure:

Speaking of Frances (and why not?) there was a rather anemic HD transfer of THE HISTORY BOYS recently floating around on xfinity (looked like an up-convert) and it reminded me how much I'd love to have that on blu-ray. Such a great little movie with the main cast repeating their stage roles and Frances' character as the glue/Greek chorus that holds all the elements together (in other words, what Frances does best.) ...plus, Samuel Barnett really "sends" me!

I'm sad her scenes were snipped from LOVE, ACTUALLY but I'm glad we at least get to see them in the special features of that one.

Matt Hough and Mark Walker like this.
  18. Mark Walker

Supporter

Of note, the two DVD set of Series One also contains the Xmas episode. I just checked disc two and it is right after the episode that finished the series in the US last night.

It is great to hear the show with the audio uncensored: I never thought I'd hear Derek Jacobi ask a question about Ash to Ian McKellan, "He gets paid to give head?" I about died. LOL!

I will say, like Will, I feel the dog gag is as lifeless as the animal in question.

Cheers!

Matt Hough and Jason_V like this.
  19. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    I'm enjoying it a lot too, but I probably won't purchase it. If I did, I'd opt for the HD downloads from iTunes rather than the DVDs. Shocking line from Sunday's show: Ash says something like, "You're kidding, right? How could I not remember Violet? She practically gives me a hand-job every time we meet!"

20. Mark Walker

Supporter

And Violet's reply!

I can see the HD downloads being the preferable version to the DVDs, as the DVDs are almost completely absent of bonus content.