What's new

Gay-Friendly Blu-rays (1 Viewer)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
This is more of a "set your DVR alert," with the DVD coming soon.
Vicious_S1.jpg

Ian McKellan and Derek Jacobi play a bitter old couple (Yes, a gay couple.) in Vicious.

Vicious tells the story of partners Freddie (Ian McKellen) and Stuart (Derek Jacobi), who have lived together in a small central London flat for nearly 50 years. Constantly picking each other apart and holding on to petty slights for decades, Freddie and Stuart are always at each other’s throats, cracking snide remarks aimed at the other’s age, appearance and flaws. However, underneath their vicious, co-dependent fighting, they have a deep love for one another. Freddie and Stuart are often joined by feisty best friend Violet (Frances de la Tour, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows) and Ash (Iwan Rheon, “Game of Thrones”), their young, upstairs neighbor.

Ratings in the UK were very good. Reviews were mixed.
Series Two has been confirmed.

It airs Sundays at 10:30 PM on PBS for the next several weeks.
(There are six episodes, plus a Christmas special, in Series 1.)
Vicious-Cast.jpg

For more information and to see a preview visit the following link
http://www.pbs.org/program/vicious/

Cheers!

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Matt Hough said:
I do plan to watch, but I couldn't help thinking about the dreadful, dismal Staircase when I first read a description of this series.
My reaction after suffering an episode here in Australia. Didn't go back for more. Two bitchy old queens arguing endlessly I didn't find funny.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I never saw Staircase precisely because of the a few stills I have seen from it disinclined me to watching it. A mincing Rex Harrison is something I only want to see in My Fair Lady. ;) As for Vicious, I have such affection for McKellan and Jacobi that seeing them as a couple has me more excited than some reviews of this show merit.

Ian talks about the show in a recent Advocate available here
http://www.advocate.com/arts-entertainment/television/2014/06/27/ian-mckellen-vicious-queens-and-obliterating-closet?page=full

It says reviews were mostly positive, and I would say, based on what I have seen, the reviews were truly mixed.
Here are some summations of some reviews:
Keith of Metro wrote a favourable review, calling Vicious "nostalgic fun."[13]
Christopher Stevens of the Daily Mail also wrote a favourable review, calling McKellen and Jacobi "the Steptoe & Son of the gay and Thespian community."[14]
Morgan Jeffery of Digital Spy wrote a mixed review, finding the show an "uncomfortable blend of coarse humour and '70s sitcom-style cosiness".[15] Describing the script as "lazy", he thought that the show couldn't "decide if it wants to be edgy and rude or traditional fun for all the family", but praised the "strong" cast, ultimately awarding the series two out of five stars.[15]
Kevin O'Sullivan of the Sunday Mirror called it a "horrible half-hour of 1970s-style net curtain cosiness" in a negative review of ITV's Monday night comedy offerings.[16] In a 29 April 2013 review in the Telegraph, Benjamin Secher claimed it is "the least funny new comedy in recent memory" giving it 1 out of 5 stars. He also wrote that "the script fell disastrously flat".[17] Writing in the London Evening Standard, Brian Sewell described the series as "a spiteful parody that could not have been nastier had it been devised and written by a malevolent and recriminatory heterosexual."[18]
With my eyes open, I am still eager to see it. :)
Matt Hough said:
I do plan to watch, but I couldn't help thinking about the dreadful, dismal Staircase when I first read a description of this series.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Thanks for the plug, Mark!

Yes, Criterion often makes a gift to its customers and includes a second full length feature on a release. I had never gotten the opportunity to see Rock Hudson's Home Movies. It did play here once during an Out Film Festival, but I couldn't make the screening. And seems like when I checked on its DVD release, they wanted far too much money for a basically one hour documentary, so I didn't see it until I reviewed this release. So glad to have it now in my collection.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
has anyone heard anything about Death In Venice Blu-ray?
I remember it was announced for a release in France about one year ago, but nothing else after that...

Also, besides Maurice, I would be looking forward to a US/UK release of Farewell to my Concubine.
It seems other releases aren't so good as I read in reviews..
This should definitely be a Criterion title too..

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Konstantinos said:
has anyone heard anything about Death In Venice Blu-ray?
I remember it was announced for a release in France about one year ago, but nothing else after that...
I saw this available on Amazon Instant Video in HD months ago, so at least a master exists to make one.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Moe Dickstein said:
Really because when you say "two old bitchy queens arguing endlessly" I want to pull up a chair and watch for hours lol.
To each his own.
I read the link to the Advocate article and while they are at great length to say their characters are not stereotypes, to me and I suspect others they sure are.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Having seen the first episode now, I can understand why this show is so divisive. I did laugh out loud several times, which is rare for me, but I also can easily understand that these types of characters are not ones many folks are going to embrace and more than a few will find issue with them.

I actually did not find either character particularly queeny. Acidic? Yes. Bitchy queens? I suppose so, but not the way that I even found Clifton Webb's character as presented in Laura, which I did find very off-putting. As you say, to each is own.
john a hunter said:
To each his own.
I read the link to the Advocate article and while they are at great length to say their characters are not stereotypes, to me and I suspect others they sure are.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I had the same reaction. They were eternally bitchy, but there was some wit there and not just mean for mean's sake. And I did find some of their lusty (Frances) and doddering friends funny, too, so I'll keep watching. With the tales each of the men was spinning, it made me curious to learn more truth about each of them.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
"Have you been to Zac Effron?"LOL! Frances de la Tour was terrific!
Matt Hough said:
I had the same reaction. They were eternally bitchy, but there was some wit there and not just mean for mean's sake. And I did find some of their lusty (Frances) and doddering friends funny, too, so I'll keep watching. With the tales each of the men was spinning, it made me curious to learn more truth about each of them.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Mark Walker said:
Having seen the first episode now, I can understand why this show is so divisive. I did laugh out loud several times, which is rare for me, but I also can easily understand that these types of characters are not ones many folks are going to embrace and more than a few will find issue with them.

I actually did not find either character particularly queeny. Acidic? Yes. Bitchy queens? I suppose so, but not the way that I even found Clifton Webb's character as presented in Laura, which I did find very off-putting. As you say, to each is own.
I still haven't seen the show, but the fact that they've been in a relationship for 50 years defies an arguably more hurtful stereotype: that gay men cannot form lasting relationships with each other. That's where that ancient joke about what lesbians and gay men bring on second dates came from.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Thanks so much Mark, you wonderful man!! ;)

I wonder if Ron can put up a pre-order link so HTF can get credit? I'll wait to order it but I do want it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Will Krupp said:
I wonder if Ron can put up a pre-order link so HTF can get credit? I'll wait to order it but I do want it.
If you click on the Amazon link in Mark Walker's post, the HTF will get credit for the purchase.

Any time an Amazon link is accessed through the HTF software, we get credit. The same is true for the Amazon links I post in each week's RoundUp.

:thumbs-up-smiley: And, thanks fellas, it is much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks