What's new

Gay-Friendly Blu-rays (1 Viewer)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
schan1269 said:
I've perused this thread and may pick up a few. Being straight I'm always asked why I watch them. I've been part of the alternate lifestyle(rope anyone??) since I was, uhm, 18...

One of my best friends is a M2F. My current GF is shamelessly "greedy". We are on our 6th time living together. First was in HS when her parents moved and she stayed behind to graduate from the only school system she'd known.

It is great to see these movies get proper treatment...even if my normal taste runs the gamut of Room in Rome...

By the way, just bought/watched Angels of Sex. Not the greatest portrayal, but...if you have friends that "want to understand what it means"...it is a great baby steps flick.
Based on your comment here, I watched Angels of Sex (aka The Sex of Angels) this last weekend, which is available as a zone-free Blu-ray from various sellers.
511GurOsthL._SY300_.jpg

THE PLOT (simplified):
The established relationship between university student Bruno and aspiring photographer Carla is thrown into turmoil when Bruno feels drawn to sexy karate instructor/break dancer Rai. Complications ensue.

Without wanting to spoil anything for others, I would say the film is male bisexual or "undefined sexuality" version of Summer Lovers.

There were some moments that felt lifted directly out of Randal Kleiser's film.
Homage or plot device theft? You decide. (I felt it was mix of both, particularly for the final crisis in the film.)

The three leads all do very well with their roles and this one plays more for romantic drama over the more breezy comedic tones of Summer Lovers.
El-Sexo-de-Los-Angeles-Bruno-and-Carla.jpg

The-Sex-of-the-Angels-2012.mkv_001729978.jpg

It did present one of my pet peeves: the straight sex scenes were much more explicit (and prolonged) than the gay ones.

I streamed it on NetFlix, but it is definitely being added to my list of films to purchase on Blu-ray within the next 12 months.

Thanks for mentioning it, Schan!

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Like the rest of you, given the choice, I will buy a program on Blu-ray over DVD.

I was hoping BBC's In The Flesh, the series where the lead zombie, pardon me, partially deceased syndrome (PDS) sufferer, is a gay man who killed himself because
his boyfriend died fighting in a war

Great show. Not gory, usually. Not scary. Just brilliant.

Well, series two wraps up on BBC America tonight here in the states.
and Amazon.com has the DVD for series two available.

But Amazon.co.uk has the series 1 and 2 Blu-ray set for very little more than the DVD of series two alone!
in_the_flesh_s1&2_300.jpg

The great thing is, I just tried it in my normal Blu-ray player and it played just fine, meaning it is highly likely the Blu-ray is Region/Code Free, though my oldest Blu-ray player, a first gen Panasonic, was having issues with playback.

Series Two is more political than Series One, which was more about Keiren trying to readjust to home life and deal with the issues that led him to commit suicide the first time. In Series Two, we get the added bonus of a bit of same-sex romance for Keiren.

Here is a trailer for the show:

I will watch the series two finale on BBC America tonight, so I cannot say how good it is, but I know it won a BAFTA this year.

Cheers!

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
With The Normal Heart coming to Blu-ray in several weeks, this is the other film about that era I am really eager to see.
I've ordered the DVD, but it is also available on demand and is on its theatrical tour: TEST
http://www.testthefilm.com/
10361341_653797808032585_9167199194195535755_n.png

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
It's probably tied up in the Amazon/Warner dispute and not in Amazon yet.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I can't even get JK Rowling's latest book on Kindle because of this dispute. And that ticks me off.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I ordered it quite a while ago before this flared up. It still shows my order, but the page makes it so no one else can order it.
Hopefully my order "sticks" like it has, since I got loced in at $17.49 before the price went up to $24.99
Will Krupp said:
I can't find an order link for it, Mark...do you happen to have one?

Thanks in advance!

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
We don't have a Blu-Ray yet as we film in August, but I thought that the short film I've written and am directing would be of interest to those in this thread. If you want to check out our FB page and give it a like, there will be updates and lots of pics and stuff as we get closer to shooting, and then as we edit and submit for festivals. www.facebook.com/midnight2015I was knocked over when Sean Lockhart agreed to play one of the leads, and he's been great to work with. Hopefully we'll get some good buzz with this and can go ahead and make the feature.I'm nearly done with the script for the feature and this would be the first part of it. It's five stories that look at different aspects of gay relationships using a connected set of characters. The 5 stories don't intercut, but are presented sequentially and chronologically, and people that appear as minor characters in one will be the lead characters of others and vice versa, and by knowing the earlier stories you get a richer context for moments and lines that appear in later ones.It's been a lot of fun putting this together and exciting to feel like I'm doing something creatively fulfilling again and I wanted to share it with you guys here. Thanks :)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
This is incredibly cool! I
Moe Dickstein said:
We don't have a Blu-Ray yet as we film in August, but I thought that the short film I've written and am directing would be of interest to those in this thread. If you want to check out our FB page and give it a like, there will be updates and lots of pics and stuff as we get closer to shooting, and then as we edit and submit for festivals.www.facebook.com/midnight2015I was knocked over when Sean Lockhart agreed to play one of the leads, and he's been great to work with. Hopefully we'll get some good buzz with this and can go ahead and make the feature.I'm nearly done with the script for the feature and this would be the first part of it. It's five stories that look at different aspects of gay relationships using a connected set of characters. The 5 stories don't intercut, but are presented sequentially and chronologically, and people that appear as minor characters in one will be the lead characters of others and vice versa, and by knowing the earlier stories you get a richer context for moments and lines that appear in later ones.It's been a lot of fun putting this together and exciting to feel like I'm doing something creatively fulfilling again and I wanted to share it with you guys here. Thanks :)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
One film to avoid at all costs is Moreno
moreno-ray-dulay-dvd-cover-art.jpg

I Netflix'd it (as a DVD, as there is no streaming for this title), and I watched about 15 minutes before I had to turn it off.

The picture quality is horrible (Imagine a worn out, pirated VHS dupe of a dupe of a dupe.) and the acting is likely the worst I have seen in a very long time, years, and that is saying something.

I tried to fast forward to maybe something watchable and it just never appeared to get any better.

I cannot remember the last film I actually did not finish because of terrible quality.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks