What's new

Gattaca SE? (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
The Superbit disc is terrific, I want studios to start focussing on *unreleased* films. 2005 has been treacherous for re-releases.

Greg Black

Second Unit
Is the picture and/or sound on the Superbit version of Gattaca enough to warrant a re-purchase? I know it's a pretty subjective thing to ask of, but maybe someone can explain their negative or positive for me.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

i thought it was a funny question after i noticed your sig.
:D

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
I love Gattaca - it's probably my favourite SF film. So I'll be quick to forgive Columbia if they triple-dip on this one for a multidisc SE. :D

Picture and DTS sound are both excellent. No complaints from me, viewing at a ~2:1 screen-width distance. If you're unsatisfied at all with the standard release then, by all means, get the Superbit. :)

Michael Boyd

Second Unit
I know that a Gattaca SE features are being compiled and edited currently, but there is no set time table for release according to my source.

Jonathan_

Second Unit
Plus the Gattaca Superbit DVD is 9.99 right now at Best Buy. Excellent DVD for an excellent price.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
After spending the money to do a special edition of an obscure SF film, no sane company would release it only in a format that will have miniscule market penetration for the forseeable future.

Oh, wait, someone said this is a Columbia film. Yeah, hi-def only and probably pan'n'scan to boot.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Your second sentence indicates you're aware of the ridiculousness factor when Sony is involved, but to comment further: Many would argue there's plenty of cause to question Sony's sanity. This is the company that released dozens of single layer SA-CDs not playable in standard CD players as a way of supposedly promoting their DSD technology, growing the SA-CD format and selling their SA-CD hardware. Going all the way back to company founder Akio Morita, Sony has a long history of attempting to use content (Columbia Records, MGM) to leverage their consumer electronics business.

Plus, there could be Blu-ray flippers: standard def on one side, HD on the other.

-p

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Didn't see this posted, but CHUD has an interview with Andrew Niccol up and he confirms that an SE will be coming out. He also says that Ethan Hawke and Jude Law will be doing commentary for it.

http://chud.com/interviews/4304

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I second: thanks, Ray.

It's interesting what titles SPHE chooses to release more than twice on DVD. It will also be interesting to see what the street date ends up being, dammit: along with, say, Titanic, Gladiator, Heat and 12 Monkeys, this is a title that I both very much want a new SE of, but also would love to have a hi def DVD of . . .

-p

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Very nice, I never bought the SB. Hopefully SB will be disc1, unless they re-transfered.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This is a comment I see far too often. So long as enough people have that attitude, we can expect more "worthwhile" triple, quadruple, etc. dips. All Hail Sony.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks