What's new

Gas BBQ grill recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
DaveF said:
As for the grates: I saw that triangle shape at the store. I think you want flat side up. But I'll have to play with it this summer.
Here's a two-page thread on that very subject (WITH Weber's official stance on the subject)!

And if you can't wait to find out...

Thanks for choosing Weber. The side you cook on/put food on is the flat side. The grates have a porcelain coating so no seasoning of any kind is required. To clean the cooking grates you'll want to do a burn off after each grill use. After you've taken off the food turn the control knobs to high, close the lid let it burn for 10-12 minutes, turn it off, let it cool and then come back and scrape them clean with your brass or stainless steel bristle grill brush.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Mike Frezon said:
Hmmm. I checked at my local post office and couldn't find any evidence of that.
My cousin Winston Churchill had one of these posted when he escaped a POW camp during the Boer War.

article-2094822-0A10390C000005DC-563_295x391.jpg

Years later as Home Secretary he was negotiating with Michael Collins, an Irish "militant". Winston and Collins actually hit it off having much in common and a respect for each other as men. Collins complained that Winston had put a price on his head: 5,000 GBP. So Winston had to go dig up this wanted poster, and told Collins that his price was only 25 GBP: far less than the price for Collins. This really broke the ice with Collins and led to the agreement for the Irish Free State.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I discovered grilled pizza maybe two summers ago, and now whenever I can get near a grill, I want to make one. One of my favorite things to do, usually quick and easy, and always impresses the guests.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
DaveF said:
That should work. (It's what I would do) youay have to play with settings and timing a couple of tries to get it just so. Maybe rotate the ribs to gel even cooling, since there will be some heat gradient from middle to side.As for the grates: I saw that triangle shape at the store. I think you want flat side up. But I'll have to play with it this summer.
The one burner, indirect method worked fine. I did rotate the ribs, I think that was important to do. The grill had no problem maintaing 325F with one burner. It did drop down to 300F the last half hour with the frequent basting of the ribs.

The ribs were fall off the bone tender and very tasty. The recipe said to bast in the last half hour every 5-10 minutes. I did 5 and I think that was a bit too much. Every 10 minutes would have been better. I think the crust produced by the sauce was a little too thick. I'd also reduce the cumin in the sauce too. It was a little to prominent.

I hereby pronounce the grills debut a success.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
This morning I went out on the patio and looked at the grease pan. After just one use it's almost half full. Of course, baby back ribs aren't exactly a low fact item, I shouldn't be surprised.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Sam Posten said:
BTW I have the sear station on my genesis and never use it. The extra burners on the inside are great tho.

BTW2: Best recommendation I can make for taking your steak to the next level.:
http://www2.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?ec=BD_823-EC9864-ProdID11112894&pos=2&whse=bd_823&topnav=bd&prodid=10256248&lang=en-US
The #1 ingredient in McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning is coarse salt. It's okay to have SOME salt on the surface of the steak when you grill it because the salt pulls moisture from the steak and holds it at the surface for a nice sear. However, too much salt while grilling results in a loss of too much moisture.

I use McCormick's Steak Rub.

http://www.amazon.com/McCormick-Steak-3-78-Ounce-Units-Pack/dp/B0012ORCYK

It has salt, but it's listed after garlic, black pepper and other spices. Enough salt to help achieve a nice sear, but not so much as to draw out too much moisture.

When I removed the steaks from the grill for the resting period, I apply a little coarse salt and then cover the steaks with aluminum foil. 5 minutes later when I remove the foil, the top of the steaks are all nice and juicy thanks to the freshly added salt pulling the moisture to the surface. They are a feast for the eyes and mouth! :)

Mark

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Dennis Nicholls said:
I use Raichlen's Rub.http://www.bbqu.net/season1/108_4.html My local WinCo sells the spices by the oz. and a batch of this rub is therefore really cheap to make. I add a little ground cumin to his mix. Naturally this works better if your NA is OBD-II compliant.
Huhhhh, what compliant?

Paul D G

Screenwriter
We finally got our grill. Went with the Weber E-330 based on this thread. Thanks for all the comments (flat side up!).

Going back to the comments that Weber's don't go on sale... I have to say I think we got a pretty good deal.

$819 for the natural gas model, we cashed in a bunch of Amex rewards points which brought it down to $419. Home Depot never updated the status from 'In Progress' even after the expected delivery date, so when we called to see what was going on they offered a 10% discount. So, final price just $338 ($399 with tax).

I only just put it together last night. Took maybe two hours but I kept getting pulled away from it. It was easy to assemble. I still need to test the seals. We'll be firing it up over the holiday weekend.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Paul D G said:
We finally got our grill. Went with the Weber E-330 based on this thread. Thanks for all the comments (flat side up!).

Going back to the comments that Weber's don't go on sale... I have to say I think we got a pretty good deal.

$819 for the natural gas model, we cashed in a bunch of Amex rewards points which brought it down to $419. Home Depot never updated the status from 'In Progress' even after the expected delivery date, so when we called to see what was going on they offered a 10% discount. So, final price just $338 ($399 with tax).

I only just put it together last night. Took maybe two hours but I kept getting pulled away from it. It was easy to assemble. I still need to test the seals. We'll be firing it up over the holiday weekend.
That's great, and you got a great price in the end. That's the model I want to get in a few weeks.

Can you post pics of the gas-line hardware that came with your NG model? I'm unclear what is included and what I'll have to buy, to connect to my NG line.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
You shouldn't have to buy anything extra. But here's some pics:

Comes with the hose:
grill.jpg

...and a quick release connector.
connector.jpg

The side burner is all connected already. You only need to attach the hose to the burner via the quick release connector.

In case you haven't seen it, here's a link to the Owner's Guide on Weber's site. Page 7 and 8 detail hooking up the grill.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thanks. I've studied the manual. But it's not clear to me what it comes with and what I need to connect to my line. Weber says it comes with a 1/2" connector. Sizing of my nipple looks like 1". So I think I'll need a reducer to go from the Weber quick-connect to my NG line. I'm still unsure of that.

IMG_3588.JPG
IMG_3591.JPG

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Cool.

I just noticed, while posting the photo, the "1/2" stamped onto the valve. Not being a pipe guy :) I get confused by the outer diameter being about 1". I don't know how that goes with a 1/2" pipe.

But if it's 1/2", I just need some pipe dope and I'm good to go!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks