What's new

Gas BBQ grill recommendations? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What I try to do is pound the thick ends to same thickness on all breasts. I use the spiky side of my meat tenderizer to accelerate the marinade. I marinade with Gazebo Room Greek Salad Dressing, our favorite and always in-pantry go-to chicken marinade. Then put the probes in, and grill on the pre-heated grill at direct Medium. I flip after 5 or 6 minutes then take off grill when they hit 165F. I've got a tortilla server that I've never put tortillas in. But it's great for resting chicken breast and keeping it warm.

I was lazy this time. But I didn't pay attention when pounding and one breast was larger than the other, so cooked more slowly, and came out a dryer.

I might also have the grill too hot when I start the breasts. I always pre-heat at full high for 20 minutes to clean the grill. I started cooking very soon after that tonight, which means I'm putting chicken breasts directly on 600F grates, which likely leads to overcooking the outside by the time the inside is properly cooked.

I re-cleaned after cooking tonight (and oiled my grates, since they suffered some over the winter). Next time I may try pre-heating to cook temperature rather and see if that works better.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Chicken breast is the worst part of the bird for BBQ. My suggestion is always use the thighs. They are more "cubic" and also fattier. This permits mostly indirect cooking that is even. Breasts always get burned in one spot and undercooked in another. Drumsticks are even worse in this regard.

For some reason thighs are the least-demanded part and usually go for cheap prices on sale. I've got lots generally for approximately 60 cents a pound. You do have to trim excess skin and fat but they grill up indirectly really nicely.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Chicken breast is the worst part of the bird for BBQ. My suggestion is always use the thighs. They are more "cubic" and also fattier. This permits mostly indirect cooking that is even. Breasts always get burned in one spot and undercooked in another. Drumsticks are even worse in this regard.

For some reason thighs are the least-demanded part and usually go for cheap prices on sale. I've got lots generally for approximately 60 cents a pound. You do have to trim excess skin and fat but they grill up indirectly really nicely.
A lot of people only like white meat and there's less bone to meat proportionally with breasts. Stacy and I love dark meat and I like to chew on bones so while I like breasts, I really love the other parts.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Last weekend we grilled a steak that Stacy and I split and the iGrill worked to perfection. I used a meat probe and an ambient temp probe. It was ok flipping the meat with the probe in it. A little more care is required, but not much. I found myself checking the meat less and flipping it less. Knowing it's temp was great.

We cooked the steak to medium rare and I found their temp of 130 degrees to be a little too much. Will try 125 next time.

I am happy with it's performance. I did note that the ambient probe which I had the back of the grill just above the cooking grates gave a higher temp than the thermometer that's in the hood of the grill. Too be expected since it's closer to the heat source.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
A couple of questions.

I think I made a mistake with my Weber gas grill. I left it outside this winter. Out of the elements but in the direct cold. Even though it was a really mild winter snow-wise where I live, it did get rather cold. My question is about the grill cover. It seems to have "shrunk." It is really hard to get on and off now. Doable--but difficult. I cannot imagine a vinyl cover would have shrunk due to cold (I've heard of "shrinkage" in other cases...:D ) but that is what seems to have happened! Anyone ever have anything similar happen? The vinyl does appear to be less pliant/soft than it was before--which is what's probably leading to the illusion of having shrunk since it is so much more difficult to get on and off. But them things is expensive to replace!! :eek:

I wonder if there's any way to soften it up?

The other question is about smoker boxes. I got one last year but have never used it. Anyone got an idea for an easy way to break it in and try it out? I have NO experience with them at all. I've got the smoker and the wood chips but am clueless about how to use it and what sorts of thing take well to smoking.

Thanks.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
A couple of questions.

I think I made a mistake with my Weber gas grill. I left it outside this winter. Out of the elements but in the direct cold. Even though it was a really mild winter snow-wise where I live, it did get rather cold. My question is about the grill cover. It seems to have "shrunk." It is really hard to get on and off now. Doable--but difficult. I cannot imagine a vinyl cover would have shrunk due to cold (I've heard of "shrinkage" in other cases...:D ) but that is what seems to have happened! Anyone ever have anything similar happen? The vinyl does appear to be less pliant/soft than it was before--which is what's probably leading to the illusion of having shrunk since it is so much more difficult to get on and off. But them things is expensive to replace!! :eek:

I wonder if there's any way to soften it up?

The other question is about smoker boxes. I got one last year but have never used it. Anyone got an idea for an easy way to break it in and try it out? I have NO experience with them at all. I've got the smoker and the wood chips but am clueless about how to use it and what sorts of thing take well to smoking.

Thanks.
Mike, the same thing happened with mine. I actually ran it through the washer (on gentle cycle, cold water), with a heavy dose of fabric softener. Air dry. Seemed to work with mine. Plus it smelled really nice :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hey Alex!

Cool! It must've really filled your washing machine! :eek: Them covers is big! But it sounds definitely worth a try.

I was just looking on a grilling forum (via Google search) and found a recommendation for these covers. No vinyl. Waterproof fabric, vents, no cracking, etc.

6800 reviews. 84% are 4 or 5-star reviews. Inexpensive! Good sizing chart.

I'm tempted!

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Hey Alex!

Cool! It must've really filled your washing machine! :eek: Them covers is big! But it sounds definitely worth a try.

I was just looking on a grilling forum (via Google search) and found a recommendation for these covers. No vinyl. Waterproof fabric, vents, no cracking, etc.

6800 reviews. 84% are 4 or 5-star reviews. Inexpensive! Good sizing chart.

I'm tempted!
We've got one of the big front loaders....the cover actually fit comfortably in it.

Question: is your existing cover the "official" Weber cover? http://www.amazon.com/Weber-7107-St...=1464116011&sr=1-2&keywords=weber+grill+cover

I ask because when I first got my Weber Genesis (E330 model), I got a cheaper cover from Lowes....it was the one that shrank and I had to do the washing machine/fabric softener thing with. My wife got me the "official" Weber one for Christmas, and it seems to be holding up very well, although some of the Amazon reviews don't reflect that.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yeah. Mine is an official "Weber" cover...logo and all.

I've found some interesting reading on the internet with all kinds of different perspectives/opinions on these things.

I'm not sure the Weber cover will fit in my top loader.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
FWIW, I have the official Weber cover and leave my grill outside year round, though covered.

After 18 months, no shrinkage of the cover and no stiffening, either (:eek: - should see a doctor about that).

For my previous grill, I had a "generic" cover that was much heavier feeling, and less flexible and over many years, didn't notice any change other than fading.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I was really surprised a few weeks ago when I managed to get the cover off the grill. I can practically stand it on the ground and it retains it's shape from when it's covering the grill!

Here's another version of that 2nd market cover I posted the link to earlier. This one's a bit "heavier duty" and has a limited lifetime warranty.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
images

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
All of us who own convertible sports cars know that vinyl tops shrink with cold weather and are a PIA to put up. You have to let them warm up in the sun for awhile. The cloth tops are much better than the vinyl tops.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Funny but I'm considering converting to natural gas since my furnace, water heater, stove, and fireplace all run off natural gas. The fireplace is next to the patio so hopefully a plumber can just make a short stub to the patio.

The Barbeques Galore classic Turbo models were convertible between propane and natural gas. The orifices are still available since they also fit Costco et al. gas BBQs and are only $2.50 each. They have a pilot hole and you have to drill them for your application.

31hsnMPM4CL.jpg

For the classic Turbo models:
For Propane, use #57 drill 0.051 inch.
For Nat. Gas, use #50 drill 0.086 inch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks