What's new

Gas BBQ grill recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Paul D G

Screenwriter
It's not hard. It's mostly building the frame then putting the already assembled grill on top of it, then installing the doors and side tray/burner.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Mike,
I put mine together 3 years ago. I think it took my wife, myself, a friend and a few beers. Best of luck.I suggest good lighting and eye glasses!Dave

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Me and The Pineapple had it assembled by Lowes. But I've taken the igniter system apart a few times now. The instructions are clear, and it seems designed for owner assembly. It's tedious and takes some care, but nothing terribly hard is my guess.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I'd say two hours but there was some time wasting involved - I put a part on wrong, couldn't find a part, waiting for my wife to come help me lift the body on to the stand... typical assembly annoyances. It's a saturday afternoon job to be rewarded with a few brats when you're done. :D

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yup! All done! Took me just a few hours. Did it all by myself.

gallery_286742_34_28489.jpg

There are a few things about the design of this grill which I just LOVE!

The built-in scale to measure the emptiness of the propane tank is a big plus (assuming it works correctly). Also, the pull out drip tray (the one with the hole which empties into the smaller pan) is AWESOME! What a convenient way to clean the most problematic part of any grill! I used to take a paint scraper to the bottom of my old grills every fall before I'd put them away for storage. This little innovation is huge!

And just having the propane tank accessible in the front part of the grill cabinet is a bonus for me. With my old grill, every time I'd go to BBQ, I'd have to first open the propane tank by reaching around to the rear of the grill. A real PITA.

And it assembled like a dream. The only little issue I had was getting the side shelves to snap on properly before I attached them with the bolts and washers. But a little elbow grease took care of that.

All in all an A+ experience.

First grilling experience: tomorrow!

And IIRC, it was decided that the flat edge of the grilling surface should be face up, right? :biggrin:

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I remember putting our grill together (Wal-Mart brand dual grill)...Took about 3 hours(piddling around). I also had the 4 legs crossed, labelled for squat. There is a shelf that needed the legs a certain way. Then after seeing the (waste of time) shelf in action, I removed it.Said shelf has a 2lb capacity. What, near a grill, weighs 2lbs?

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
And here I'm still using the BBQ Galore "Turbo" I bought in 1990. (See post #67) Sometimes it's best not to go cheap.

But for today's cheap idea....

The best way to cook whole fish (e.g. trout, small salmon) is to grill it on a cedar plank. Your local gourmet store will be glad to sell you planks for an inflated price.

BUT

Home Depot and Lowes sells untreated cedar fence boards, nominal 6" x 1/2" x 6', for about $3. Find a nice clean one and belt sand it on one side, then cut it into 14" pieces. You get a much better deal this way.

Soak the plank in water for an hour before use. Dress the cavity on the fish with onion slices, lemon slices, and maybe some cilantro. Put the fish on the wet cedar plank and over direct heat. The plank will slowly char and smoke up the fish.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
This thread gets my anticipation level up. I'll be getting a Weber Genesis E-330 after I get my bonus right after Jan 1st. Never had a real quality grill, just a series of Charbroils that last a few years at most. My current one is 5 years old (a record for me) but I've had to replace burners and grids once plus the ignitor worked for about a year. It's now on its last legs, rusting seams etc. Can't wait for the Genesis as we grill 2-3 times a week, even in winter, and every Saturday.One aside on price.....last fall my local Academy Sports had a floor model E-330 on sale for $549....I went to get my wife in another area and when we came back to the grill area (literally about 3 minutes) a guy had pounced on it and was wheeling it to the checkout. Bastard :(

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
atfree said:
This thread gets my anticipation level up. I'll be getting a Weber Genesis E-330 after I get my bonus right after Jan 1st. Never had a real quality grill, just a series of Charbroils that last a few years at most. My current one is 5 years old (a record for me) but I've had to replace burners and grids once plus the ignitor worked for about a year. It's now on its last legs, rusting seams etc.Can't wait for the Genesis as we grill 2-3 times a week, even in winter, and every Saturday.One aside on price.....last fall my local Academy Sports had a floor model E-330 on sale for $549....I went to get my wife in another area and when we came back to the grill area (literally about 3 minutes) a guy had pounced on it and was wheeling it to the checkout. Bastard :(
That is why me and the GF have a "no questions asked" monthly budget. And we can "not" spend it to let it accrue...

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
schan1269 said:
That is why me and the GF have a "no questions asked" monthly budget. And we can "not" spend it to let it accrue...
Let's see what happens when you have 4 kids.....1 in college, 2nd starting next fall, and 2 more due to go within 4 years. When you're writing $10,000-$15000 tuition checks every semester, there's no such thing as "no questions asked"!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
atfree said:
Let's see what happens when you have 4 kids.....1 in college, 2nd starting next fall, and 2 more due to go within 4 years. When you're writing $10,000-$15000 tuition checks every semester, there's no such thing as "no questions asked"!
My GF has two kids(We've been together 5 times over 26 years...for a total of 9 years).

I'm dad(and always have been) to her first. 2nd one has a father who is much more than "a donor"...(her oldest has stayed with me numerous times while her mother was deployed in the Army)

Without "other specifics"....I've contributed to the lives of 10 kids from various ages to 18(some from relatives of mine that had demons and the inability to take care of said kids).

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Dennis Nicholls said:
And here I'm still using the BBQ Galore "Turbo" I bought in 1990. (See post #67) Sometimes it's best not to go cheap. But for today's cheap idea.... The best way to cook whole fish (e.g. trout, small salmon) is to grill it on a cedar plank. Your local gourmet store will be glad to sell you planks for an inflated price. BUT Home Depot and Lowes sells untreated cedar fence boards, nominal 6" x 1/2" x 6", for about $3. Find a nice clean one and belt sand it on one side, then cut it into 14" pieces. You get a much better deal this way. Soak the plank in water for an hour before use. Dress the cavity on the fish with onion slices, lemon slices, and maybe some cilantro. Put the fish on the wet cedar plank and over direct heat. The plank will slowly char and smoke up the fish.
How's it work if not sanded? ( i don't have a belt sander)I've done cedar plank salmon once and liked it. The other benefit is the fish doesn't stick to the grill grates.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The sanding is mainly for splinters. (if you think fish bones are bad...) Although freshly sanded is more aromatic.

Orbital works...but belt is simpler for "straight" sanding.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
DaveF said:
How's it work if not sanded? ( i don't have a belt sander)

I've done cedar plank salmon once and liked it. The other benefit is the fish doesn't stick to the grill grates.
You sand the top side as smooth as possible so the fish won't stick to the wood. The bottom side doesn't care since it's going to be charred anyway. For presentation it's nice to lift the fish off the board with a long BBQ spatula. With an unsanded board the skin will probably stay stuck to the board.

The expensive boards are finished both sides. A waste when one side will turn into charcoal.

Williams Sonoma wants $16.95 for a set of 4 planks. They will even MONOGRAM them for you for an additional $8.50 per item.

img3c.jpg

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/1037084/

The ones I make out of a fence board can even be reused once since they are much thicker than the fancy WS planks.

Harbor Freight has a belt sander for $30, or $24 with a coupon. How can you live without trips to HF? How else can you pull the tranny on your Porsche without a cheap HF tranny jack?

14432397915_8b702b8026_c.jpg

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If I grilled fish regularly, I'd get the belt sander just for the task. I need add salmon to the rotation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks