What's new

Gamecube to have online play!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Joe McCabe

Second Unit
This is from Gamespot.com:GameCube to go online in 2002
Details surface on Nintendo's online plans, just days before its Space World show in Japan.
AAccording to the August 14 morning edition of Japanese newspaper Nihon Keizai Shinbun, Nintendo Company Limited plans to release its network modems for the GameCube early next year. As previously announced, there will be two types of network modems available: a 56k-compatible V.90 modem for dial-up connections and a broadband adapter to facilitate DSL and cable-modem connections.
One of the first confirmed titles will be the so-called GameCube version of Phantasy Star Online for GameCube, which is scheduled for release by March 2002. Developed by Sonic Team, the network online RPG has been released on the Sega Dreamcast and currently has more than 300,000 subscribers in Japan.
Nintendo will support its network with its own game as well. "We plan to release our own software once we can confirm profitability in network games," Nintendo executive Hiroshi Imanishi said. According to the article, the company is currently developing and planning its own network game for a simultaneous release with the modem, though it did not provide any details about the game.
Expect official announcements from Nintendo at its Space World event beginning next week. The Nintendo Game Cube is scheduled for a September 14 launch in Japan and a November 8 launch in the North American territories. Nintendo plans to ship 2.5 million units by the end of the year worldwide.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Marionette, "Mario" + "net" is just too cute. Of course, that's just a rumored title at this point. -then again, Nintendo did register the domain name.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
How about this for cute:
The GameCube was rumored to have been originally called the StarCube and the online service called Star Road. Anyone who played enough of the SNES Mario World game will understand.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Gamecube to have online play!!!!!!
Why the suprise? Nintendo have always planned a modem & broadband solution - there's a recess underneath the GC especially for the correct adaptor...
What would be much more interesting would be concrete details of cost, games, details of the online services & a concrete API & set-up in the hands of developers.
Sony's plans are advancing (slowly but surely) - they've banded together with a major cable provider in the UK for instance, and their own content network is advancing along as well. Rumours of major screw-ups on their network protocols from the last dev conference in the UK though... Microsoft - dark horse. "online play from middle of 2002" is basically all they've announced AFAIK...
------------------
Nothing In Particular

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
What I don't like is this quote:
We plan to release our own software once we can confirm profitability in network games
I am not buying Phantasy Star Online because they are going to charge to play it. And I won't buy other games if I have to pay to play it either. Blizzard does it just fine without charging for their games, so does ID, and so does playing Counter Strike. I refuse to pay $50-$60 bucks for an online game and then have to turn around and pay $10-$15 more a month just so I can play the game I already paid for.
------------------
Michael Alletto
Mike's DVD List

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Blizzard does it just fine without charging for their games, so does ID, and so does playing Counter Strike.
Out of your three examples, only Blizzard actually *pay* for the servers & bandwidth you're using - id & the Counterstrike team rely on thirdparty servers usually run by fanboys... Should Sega et al be allowing anyone to run a PSO server?
------------------
Nothing In Particular

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Out of your three examples, only Blizzard actually *pay* for the servers & bandwidth you're using - id & the Counterstrike team rely on thirdparty servers usually run by fanboys... Should Sega et al be allowing anyone to run a PSO server?
Blizzards system also has banner ads. To tell you the truth, I don't care who pays for it, just as long as its not me. I refuse to pay twice.
------------------
Michael Alletto
Mike's DVD List
[Edited last by MikeAlletto on August 14, 2001 at 10:49 AM]

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Actually, Final Fantasy XI for PS2 will cost about $30 and will cost about $15 for 3 months. I assume that many online games will be cheap, but have a pay-to-play system set up. I doubt that the service will be expensive for any game, and the average price seems to be focusing around $5 a month.
Squaresoft will require a price to use PlayOnline (their online game service for all of their games).
You know how the DC didn't require you to pay to use the internet? Well that is the same for all of the other consoles. The only thing that will require paying will be the games that are made for it. PSO didn't require it, but PSOv2 does. Some games may end up being free, some may not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks