What's new

GameCube - Pogressive Scan?!? (1 Viewer)

Phil

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Everybody,
Today I was reading EGMonthly (December 2001 issue), their front page story is of course XBOX vs. GAMECUBE.
On page 188, they state under the Digital A/V Out heading for the GameCube...
"...And if the game you are playing and the TV both support it, the GameCube is capable of pumping out a progressive scan picture which makes everything look even better."
then on page 202, the Rogue Leader launch day review quotes the games producer Brett Tosti saying,
"We didn't hold anything back," "..Rogue Leader's got amazing visuals, much improved AI, authentic dialog recorded from the movies, and HDTV and Pro Logic II surround-sound support. It's the ultimate Star Wars package."
I've been out of the loop for a bit, so I'm wondering if I've missed something. Are these old quotes, pre-launch finalized specs, or is this for real??
Sure would be a nice surprise though...
....also on page 216, they are comparing Hardware Horsepower...on the Cube's side of the page...under the SOUNDS ALMOST AS GOOD heading....they quote the Factor 5 president, Julian Eggebrecht.."But the GameCube[sound chip] can do anything one programs it for, so, yes, even DTS encoding is possible,"
I had read that the Cube would be able to "do" surround sound via the software end of things, but its the first I've heard anyone mention DTS...
Any thoughts?
Phil

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
Yes the GameCube can do progressive scan at 480p. I believe you need the component cables to do so and they are currently only sold on Nintendo's web store. I think you will see 3rd party cables at launch or shortly after. As far as DTS goes I think it is only capable if your receiver is. But understand that the GameCube as far as I know the GameCube can not do 5.1 surround. But I could be wrong on that.
[Edited last by Joshua Moran on November 13, 2001 at 12:31 PM]

ruhrie

Agent
Phil,
To answer your question yes to all of the above. Those are the finalized specs on the Gamecube. The unit does have progressive scan capability. It will truly depend on the game manufacturer. Rogue Squadron II does have progressive scan technology and the Dolby Pro Logic II.
Hope that helps,
Rich

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
How does the DTS thing work? Don't you need a digital audio out to pass a DTS signal?
Good news on the prog-scan! I didn't know that.

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
another question. Why can't someone program a game to pump dolby 5.1 to send out through either the left or right sound cable then you would plug that L or R into the digital coax of the receiver....
maybe i'm just dreaming,
jay

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Since all GameCube software will be required to support 480p* (progressive scan), users with HDTV (or HTDV ready) sets will benefit from a more clear picture
This is from IGN - Link Removed - but the article is from early 2001, so who knows how accurate this is???

Not terribly sure about DTS or DD5.1, I thought they required a cable capable of sending compressed data. Nonetheless, it is possible, provided somebody releases the necessary plug.
Meanwhile, though, my receiver waits, ready to activate Pro-Logic II mode for some Rogue-Leader imperial ass-kicking. :)
If Factor5 builds PLII support into their "Musyx" tools, expect to see a lot of PLII support. Then, in a weird way, the consoles will all be segregated as:
Xbox: DD5.1
PS2: DTS
GC: PL II
Richard

Phil

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Again,
Thanks to everyone that replied. I am pleasantly surprised to hear that the Cube will be progressive scan, DTS, and possibly DD 5.1. I was aware of DPL II, but alas my receiver isn't compatible with DPL II.
I too and a little confused with how the Cube will output these surround-sound modes without an optical cable...anyone able to shed some light?
Phil
P.S. The XBOX dropped its progressive scan output before launch correct?

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
"P.S. The XBOX dropped its progressive scan output before launch correct?"
Sort of. XBoxen can't show DVDs in progressive scan, as they have disabled that feature of the player software. Games don't have to use macrovision, so they can do progressive scan and even 740p apparently. The feature was dropped for the same reason that the RGB output on the Playstation 2 was crippled for DVD playback; the license requires you to support copy protection, which they weren't doing in these modes. Rather than fix it they just disabled the feature. Of course, given the fact that you can get mod discs that fix the PS2 problem I suspect the same will happen with the XBox as well.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
The feature was dropped for the same reason that the RGB output on the Playstation 2 was crippled for DVD playback; the license requires you to support copy protection, which they weren't doing in these modes.
What's *really* *really* *really* annoying about this is that Sony DVD players in UK output RGB without macrovision & are widely available, yet they won't support that for the PS2.
------------------
Nothing In Particular

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Brian, get yourself a DVDRegionX disc. As well as fixing the Green problem, it gives you multiregion as well (its the main purpose of the thing). £20 from most places, but I'm not sure who ships to the US.
------------------
woohoo!

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
I too and a little confused with how the Cube will output these surround-sound modes without an optical cable...anyone able to shed some light?

It won't. The system may in fact be capable of outputting a 5.1 signal, but without the proper cable, it won't be able to carry it anywhere.
------------------

StaceyS

Stunt Coordinator
so they can do progressive scan and even 740p apparently.
For game play, the XBOX can output 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i. However, this is game dependent. If the game developers did not create it for 720p, then you will NOT see it at 720p. I have played 5 or 6 and they have all been 480p only.

Phil

Stunt Coordinator
Graeme,
If I understand you correctly then, since the Cube has no optical out or digital coax out then DD 5.1 and DTS is a "mute" point then. So the Cube will be a DPL II surround-sound console then I guess. If that's the case, that sucks, since my receiver is not DPL II. Crazy to think that the Big N would overlook such a problem. I think that there are a far greater number of receivers out there that are DD5.1 and DTS compatible than there are DPL II. I have a high end Yamaha, only 6 months old and not DPL II.
It is my understanding that DPL II is based on the "old" analog Dolby Pro Logic and not a true a digital signal. Has there been any speculation if a cable will be released to facilitate digital audio output from the Cube?
I've also read the thread Monster Cable's support of the Xbox. Has any one heard if there will be 3rd party support for the Cube by Monster Cable or Acoustic Research. I have a component AR cable for my PS2 and I am very satisfied with it.
Phil
P.S. Sorry to everyone for posting the "Pogressive" I have to watch my pudgy fingers...

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
If I understand you correctly then, since the Cube has no optical out or digital coax out then DD 5.1 and DTS is a "mute" point then.
I believe they're going to use DTS Neo which will work just like DPL II. Neo was out earlier than DPL II so receivers like the Denon 3801 have Neo, whereas the 3802 has DPLII and Neo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks