What's new

Game Cube Broadband Question? (1 Viewer)

Mark Giles

Second Unit
Are there any online-games out right now, besides that "Fantasy online..." game for GC? I just picked up a adaptor and curious on what's out there or what is coming out. Anyone know?

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I don't think there's been a single solid announcement about anything supporting it other than PSO, has there? I'd love to be proved wrong on this.... :-/

Philip_S

Stunt Coordinator
The oft-rumored "World Smash" games are the likely suspects to be revealed at E3. But right now it's just rumors

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
The oft-rumored "World Smash" games are the likely suspects to be revealed at E3.
Didn't a senior Ninty figure come out & say recently "no online Cube stuff" from Ninty at E3? Of course, it could be utter bollocks.

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
Yeah I had heard that Nintendo at least won't be producing any online games for awhile because they think it's too early. You gotta wonder if they aren't stuck in the 8-bit days by some of the hair-brain decisions they make.

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
Has anyone made a profit off of online gaming via consoles? Is there a truely profitable and viable way of doing this yet?

I think Nintendo is doing the smartest possible thing by waiting to see how Sony and Micrsoft run their online operations and by learning from their mistakes.

Just my thoughts.

Glen

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
Has anyone made a profit off of online gaming via consoles? Is there a truely profitable and viable way of doing this yet?
No, but America Online sure took a phat loss in the early 90's when no one had internet access and eBay/Amazon didn't turn a profit for years. I see your point, but gaining market share in the online console gaming world is the name of the game right now, the profits come later.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone made a profit off of online gaming via consoles?
Sure, Sega with Phantasy Star Online. Also, profits don't necessarily come through charging for the online service. Adding an online component to a game boosts the playability factor & sales of the game.

-Dave

DaveKahler

Stunt Coordinator
Online console gaming won't necessarily ever take off, which is why Nintendo doesn't want to take a loss to gain some market share. Most console gamers are much less hardcore folk than PC gamers.

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
Online console gaming won't necessarily ever take off, which is why Nintendo doesn't want to take a loss to gain some market share.
It's a gamble either way. Personally, I hope you're wrong, Dave, I love XBox Live and would be thrilled to see a similar move by Nintendo. But, they could be right. Of course, this is the same company that released the "Virtual Boy," so maybe they know a thing or two about futuristic games.

CameronS

Supporting Actor
This E3, if Nintendo announces Mario Kart (the holy grail of all possible online Nintendo games) with no online capability, I think that would be a good sign that we will be waiting a long time for solid online support from the big N.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks