What's new

Game (3 of 3): Guess An Upcoming Twilight Time Release (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BPullen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce Pullen
sleroi said:
Clues 1 and 3 seem to scream Tennessee Williams. And in a 7 degrees way I can link Marni Nixon to Deborah Kerr To Williams. And I can link Williams and Kerr to John Huston, and Huston to Michael Parks, and Newman to Franciosa and Forsythe. And it all coming out in the wash would seem to justify the randomness. But the only place it leads me is to another guess that seems too obvious, but here goes: Night of the Iguana. Not sure how it fits with the latest clue, but im so confused I cant even think of a decent question.
No it is not Night of Iguana (1961). Yet you are right about Tennessee Williams. Keep digging. Richard Brooks did direct "too". As for Clue #4, and what is it with me and Clue #4 am I cursed?, perhaps I should have said, "Who's on top?" As it were...

BPullen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce Pullen
lark144 said:
Reading this thread has been most entertaing. My guess is: BEAT THE DEVIL. Although the film is in the public domain, I believe Sony/Columbia owns the original elements. Huston, of course, directed, (starred in Chinatown) and had just finished two of his most famous films, THE AFRICAN QUEEN & MOULIN ROUGE, which could be seed as carreer highlights. Spagetti Sauce could be Ms. Lollobrigidia. The clues that seem to point to Tennesse Williams could also fit Truman Capote, who is also Southern, and shares other viewpoints with Mr. Williams as well. The wash might (or might not) refer to the mess that the shoot entailed. At least Humphrey Bogart was directed by a Brooks. And the composer, Franco mannino (mostly known for his 70's scores for Viscounti) has certainly not yet been on a TT disc. And if this is a Not, why not?
Capote is interesting also. Williams shouldn't be ruled out either. It is strange when one thing effects another. Back to task, Beat the Devil (1953) is John Huston and public domain. That tends to cancel it out. For now. The hump will be to find some third party to expedite the restoration needed to release something like Beat the Devil. TT does not handle that part. This is where the dream ends. At present.

BPullen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce Pullen
Noach Kowalski said:
Suddenly, Lust Summer ?
Another lament from Facebook, I wait with baited breath. You are getting the idea Noach but not this piece.

BPullen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce Pullen
Do regale me with questions everyone. We need some questions for the Magic Hour after all.

lawrencews

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry S.
Although I am a newcome to HTF and, by rules, my guess should be disqualified, here goes:

My guess for today: Baby Doll (although it's wrong because it is a Warner DVD)

I concentrated on the Richard Brooks connection. Brooks directed "too" (two). Besides actors, he directed 2 films based on Tennessee Williams plays. Most of the other Williams' adapations have been guessed or are already out on Blu Ray.

The Fugitive Kind connection: composer for Baby Doll was Kenyon Hopkins. He was also the composer for The Fugitive Kind.
And Mr. Hopkins should be new to TT.

Method Actor connection: Karl Malden, Eli Wallach, Rip Torn--all studied at the Actors Studio. Take your pick.

Director coming off his signature work: Kazan had directed On the Waterfront 2 yrs before, although East of Eden was next after that, and then Baby Doll. Surely, On the Waterfront is considered Kazan's masterpiece.

But, none of the other clues fit in a way that my feeble brain can put together. Anthony Franciosa worked with Kazan in A Face in the Crowd, but that's it.

BPullen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce Pullen
lawrencews said:
Although I am a newcome to HTF and, by rules, my guess should be disqualified, here goes:

My guess for today: Baby Doll (although it's wrong because it is a Warner DVD)

I concentrated on the Richard Brooks connection. Brooks directed "too" (two). Besides actors, he directed 2 films based on Tennessee Williams plays. Most of the other Williams' adapations have been guessed or are already out on Blu Ray.

The Fugitive Kind connection: composer for Baby Doll was Kenyon Hopkins. He was also the composer for The Fugitive Kind.

Method Actor connection: Karl Malden, Eli Wallach, Rip Torn--all studied at the Actors Studio. Take your pick.

Director coming off his signature work: Kazan had directed On the Waterfront 2 yrs before, although East of Eden was next after that, and then Baby Doll. Surely, On the Waterfront is considered Kazan's masterpiece.

But, none of the other clues fit in a way that my feeble brain can put together. Anthony Franciosa worked with Kazan in A Face in the Crowd, but that's it.
Be careful not to spitball without rhyme or reason on here. Usually you need to crouch this stuff in question or guess. As long as you're willing to follow decorum to the letter, respect the rules of the game, and don't do anything to disrupt it, I as gamemaster will look the other way on this one. Call it generosity or respect for your interest in the contest. Just don't abuse it lawren. That's all I ask.

seangood79

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
I considered Baby Doll as well, it gets so frustrating when I find a title that might fit, until you see that Warner Bros shield or Paramount mountain on the cover.
My question, does the top billed actor or actress currently have a pulse?

BPullen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce Pullen
One more thing. I guess it was a guess lawren. Nevermind. Please continue. :)

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
GUESS (from out in left field): The Glass Menagerie. Williams play, Newman directed, Woodward starred, and it was Newman's first project after winning his Oscar for The Color of Money. Score by Mancini, who I'm not sure has been represented in a TT release yet.I know home video rights had been with MCA at one point, but I think it's murky enough now that this could be a contender.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
I've been lurking on this thread trying to figure out what the title is and want to take a stab at a guess...is it the Paul Newman/Elizabeth Taylor version of "Cat On A Hot Tin Roof", Bruce???

Hasslein

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
OK, today's guess is based on the Brooks clue only. Brooks directed Hackman & Candace Bergen in Bite the Bullet... They also starred together in my guess-

The Hunting Party (1971)

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
seangood79 said:
Richard Brooks was nominated for two Oscars for movies that didn't receive a Best Picture nomination.Same thing happened to Mark Robson for Inn of the Sixth Happiness, and he was fresh off his hit Peyton Place.I was working on this title when the last clue appeared, and happy to say there is a "China town".Ingrid Bergman was Rossellini's muse.I believe this was in Fox's Bring it to Blu Ray Poll, so I assume there's a master that's ready to be transferred.As to everything else, no idea, another title unseen by me.I used to think I had pretty extensive knowledge of film history, these contests seem to be proving me wrong.
I like this one. Also, didn't spaghetti come from China, and this features Robert Donat (Mr. Chips), whose alter ego Peter O'Toole sang in the 1969 film.---------------

BPullen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce Pullen
JohnMor said:
GUESS (from out in left field): The Glass Menagerie. Williams play, Newman directed, Woodward starred, and it was Newman's first project after winning his Oscar for The Color of Money. Score by Mancini, who I'm not sure has been represented in a TT release yet.I know home video rights had been with MCA at one point, but I think it's murky enough now that this could be a contender.
Way to go on a fab attempt. This is not The Glass Menagerie (1987). The way to look at it is each clue is a part of the larger puzzle not necessarily the whole ballgame wrapped up in a neat package. You're warmer as far as drifting away to other things. Keep trying John! Keep trying.

BPullen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce Pullen
lukejosephchung said:
I've been lurking on this thread trying to figure out what the title is and want to take a stab at a guess...is it the Paul Newman/Elizabeth Taylor version of "Cat On A Hot Tin Roof", Bruce???
No. For a multitude of reasons. The spirit of Williams and perhaps even more is in this film but not in the most obvious of ways.

BPullen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce Pullen
schan1269 said:
On My Way to the Crusades, I met a Girl Who (La cintura di castità)
Who owns the rights to this? Does anyone know? Schan? Relating to the film, a valiant strike and again tightly wound with the first clue. Though this is still missing something. Drop into a Goodwill why don't you.

BPullen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce Pullen
Hasslein said:
OK, today's guess is based on the Brooks clue only. Brooks directed Hackman & Candace Bergen in Bite the Bullet... They also starred together in my guess-

The Hunting Party (1971)
A film screaming for TT's attention. Nope to this being it. Can I image this happening? You betcha.

BPullen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce Pullen
ScottHM said:
I like this one. Also, didn't spaghetti come from China, and this features Robert Donat (Mr. Chips), whose alter ego Peter O'Toole sang in the 1969 film.---------------
I am hard pressed to call this a guess. Yet to clear the air, negative. This is not it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks