Gak! Slap Shot 2 website/trailer now online.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Weinberg, Oct 30, 2001.

1. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Take a look.
    http://www.slapshot2movie.com/

2. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

3. Ross Williams

Ross Williams Supporting Actor

This has got to be going straight to video. How can there possibly be any market for a sequel to a 30 year old cult film? I just don't understand how some movies get made. At least they got the original Hanson brothers back. I love the original, but I will never watch this.
    ------------------
    "You know, there's a million fine looking women in the world, dude. But they
    don't all bring you lasagna at work. Most of 'em just cheat on you." - Silent Bob
    "No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzai
    Optimus Prime Films

4. bill lopez

bill lopez Second Unit

SLAP SHOT came out in 1977, HALLOWEEN came out in 1978 and it's got a sequal coming out. So what's wrong with a SLAP SHOT sequal?

5. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Maybe because Halloween has had five sequels in the interim.
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    --Mike
    Amazon Hot 100 DVD's

6. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Yeah, I agree. It just reeks of pointless opportunism to release a Slap Shot 2 at this point.
    Oh well, at least they got some of the characters back from the first one.
    But who's idea was it to make Stephen Baldwin the leading man? I say you're just asking for sniggers when you do something like that! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Scott Weinberg
    ------------------
    http://www.ofcs.org

7. bill lopez

bill lopez Second Unit

PSYCHO (1960) followed with PYSCHO 2 (1983).
    KING KONG (1976) followed with KING KONG LIVES (1986).
    EXCORSIT 2 (1977) followed with EXCORSIT 3(1990).
    GODFATHER 2 (1974) followed with GODFATHER 3 (1990).
    So it won't be the 1st time there has been a long time in between sequals.

8. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Considering the PC climate of today, there is no way that this will stack up to the original. Having said that, there is no way that I will miss this. It looks chessy but what the hell, it will still have some laughs I'm sure. The Hanson brothers, C'mon, it will be a good time.
    ------------------
    Rich
    "A) You can never go too far and B) If I'm going to get busted it is NOT going to be by a guy like DAT."
    My Website

9. GaryEA

GaryEA Second Unit

Being a huge fan of the first film (I grew up on it, which explains a lot about me [​IMG]), I was weary as could be as the trailer loaded up.
    Baldwin doesn't seem like the grizzled hockey type to me but I'll reserve judgement until the film comes out. The Hanson's are back, so there's a draw for me. I'm just looking for some laughs, and since my expectations are on the low side, I'll se what happens. The last shot of the trailer had me rolling so that's a good sign.
    For years, I always considered choices on who could play the new leader of the Chiefs. No one's going to be a Paul Newman, so it's wasted energy to try to emulate or top him, My money has been on Denis Leary for years.
    If they can't get a Slap Shot vehicle for him, somebody get him a hockey film. He'd be perfect for it, on and off the ice.
    Gary

10. JustinS

JustinS Agent

11. Bill Buklis

Bill Buklis Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Bill Buklis
    quote: PSYCHO (1960) followed with PYSCHO 2 (1983).
    KING KONG (1976) followed with KING KONG LIVES (1986).
    EXCORSIT 2 (1977) followed with EXCORSIT 3(1990).
    GODFATHER 2 (1974) followed with GODFATHER 3 (1990).
    So it won't be the 1st time there has been a long time in between sequals.
    ---
    Not to mention The Hustler (1961) --> The Color of Money (1987).[/quote]
    Sure, there may be precedent for longtime sequels. But, that doesn't it's a good thing. None of these sequels are considered very good by anyone. Can you name an example of a long delayed sequel that was any good?
    The "Join the team" page says "Be the first to get the scoop on the DVD and Video release of Slap Shot 2." So, I think probably this is a straight to video release. That's another indication of its potential quality.
    The original Slap Shot is a great flick. Hopefully, this one will at least have a few laughs.
    [Edited last by Bill Buklis on November 02, 2001 at 04:55 PM]

12. JustinS

JustinS Agent

13. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

no movie with Barry Melrose in it can be any good

14. Bill Buklis

Supporter

Bill Buklis
    No offense, but The Color of Money was a poor attempt at a sequel.
    ------------------

15. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

"Sean Linden (Stephen Baldwin) is the veteran coach of the Charlestown Chiefs, a minor league hockey team that has seen better days. The team is sold to Dean Claremont (Gary Busey), an owner of a new league in Omaha, Nebraska. To make matters worse, the new league is not really a league - the pay is good, but they will be playing a "Harlem Globetrotters" type hockey with the Chiefs as the stooges always losing to the clean-cut, pretty boys the IceBreakers. And, to add insult to injury, the Chiefs' new coach is a woman (Jessica Steen). It takes the return of the Hanson Brothers to get Linden and the Chiefs to rediscover their pride and passion for the game. Old time hockey is back!"
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!
    Actually, it does look like a Straight-To-Video movie... If you click on "Join the Team", you get this:
    "Be the first to get the scoop on the DVD and Video release of Slap Shot 2. Sign up now to find out about cool giveaways, sneak-peeks at behind-the-scenes footage, and much, much more. "

16. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Ya know what, I just realized something....I wonder if this is why McFarlane came out with those Hansen Brothers action figures? I wonder if they were made up for a movie promotion, but the movie was going to be so bad, it never came out in the theaters and is just now making it to video? Anyone know when this was actually filmed?
    Hmmm.I've got the whole set. I always wondered why he wanted to make action figures out of those guys

17. JustinS

JustinS Agent

18. Bill Buklis

Supporter

Bill Buklis