What's new

G2 Toshiba HD DVD players: HD-A2 $499, HD-XA2 $999 (1 Viewer)

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Robert,

I'm confused. When you say 'this format' do you mean HD DVD specifically or HD in general? I thought that you already had a Blu-Ray player, so I assume you meant HD DVD. Just curious to know some more specifics about why you're so apparently down on HD DVD.

Thanks.

Edited to add:

After reading what you wrote a couple more times, I think I get the jist of what you're trying to say better. I take 'hardware support' to mean manufactures other than Toshiba, and 'software support' to mean studio support. Of the two, the hardware support doesn't worry me nearly as much as the software support. Toshiba has made a great product in the HD-A1, and I believe there is potential for both Denon and Marantz to make HD DVD players in the future.

Software or studio support is a big concern for me. However, until BD starts putting out titles better quality titles and better titles period, I'm not too concerned about this in the short-term.

In the long-term, my next HD player purchase will most likely be a BD player too, but I think I am going to wind up skipping the first generation BD players all together. If I'm lucky, maybe it'll be a first generation universal HD player.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Since I have first generation players from both formats, I'm already looking into the future to see what lies ahead in buying a second generation player for 2007. I'm concerned about the lack of support for the HD DVD format because we're not hearing any type of whispers about other manufacturers besides Toshiba or additional studio support. It's no secret that the industry as a whole prefers Blu-ray to win this format war and if they continue to support Blu-ray while not providing any additional backing to HD DVD, this war of attrition will start to favor one side over the other.

Crawdaddy

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
although these new players have HDMI 1.2 and 1.3, where are the AVR's to accept 1.2 and 1.3 and then decipher SACD, DVDA and so on?

Austan

Second Unit
Real Name
austan nguyen
I dont think there's even a HDTV set that has HDMI 1.3 yet. But what's the point??? It's a future standard. Just like investing into HD today, while theres a lack of HD material. How long ago did you have a 16:9 HDTV set when almost everying is in 4:3?

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
HDTV's themselves don't have to 1.3 to accept 1080p. 1080p was ready since 1.0. see hdmi.org's FAQ.

if CE mfr's come out with products, they should all do it in sync (not the band ;). an AVR mfr should have a HDMI 1.3 ready product released, more HDTV's should be able to accept 1080p/24, etc.

BrettisMckinney

Second Unit
Also,for those thinking that they cant get DDTrueHD 5.1 on the A2, as long as you have HDMI of any verison, it will work. BUt it you dont have HDMI, then yeah, it looks like either new reciever or the XA2.

I dont think its too bad a deal to be honest, we probably got away with more than we shouldve from the A1 and they need to make it up. They havent put many feet wrong yet in comparison to Sony, so why shouldnt we pay a little more for a good product. ALso, if they are RRP, then street prices will be better anway :)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Exactly. The A-1 was the bargain of a lifetime...

And 899 shipped with 2 HDdvd films and a 4 year extended warranty?
People are complaining? What's the Sony that won't even play CDs gonna cost again?

:)

ReggieW

Screenwriter
I also think Toshiba should reconsider their prices.

These are second generation players and usually the technology improves and the prices come down. I think the A2 should be $399 and the XA2 should be $699, in other words, about $100 less than the first generation models. Instead Toshiba will raise the price by $200 on the "X" model and keep the same price on the A2 minus analog outs for those of us (and there are MANY) who don't have HDMI equipped receivers.

I agree with others that this will narrow the small lead which HD-DVD presently enjoys over Blu-ray. I was considering the XA2 instead of the Denon 2930, but at the time thought the price would be the same as the 1st generation XA1.

I am now unsure what I'll do.

Austan

Second Unit
Real Name
austan nguyen
IMHO, it is more evidence of "subsidizing" on Toshibas part. The PS3 was rumored to be at least $499 over a year ago. So that was the strategy behind the HD-A1 pricing. While the stand alone Blu Ray players were rumored to be in the $999 and above range.

I dont think that Toshiba has achieved the sales numbers to reduce manufacturing costs. And if any other major CE company wants to make a stand along HD DVD player, it will most likely be in the $999 range and it wont be able to compete with the HD-A1.

IMHO, if Toshiba keeps the cost at $499 it will not get any other CE support but it will have a huge cost advantage over Blu Ray. If they increase the price, they might get other CE companies to join but they will lose that price advantage.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks